Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Peloton exercise bike ad mocked as being 'sexist' and 'dystopian'

1. Top | #51
    Veteran Member
    Exercising is not simply about losing weight. I've seen that ad multiple times and it never occurred to me that losing weight was her or her husband's goal. Exercise can just be about feeling good, feeling stronger. So, the notion the husband is saying "Hey, lose a few pounds." is over-reach.

That said, I thought the ad lame, had a weird emotional tone, and when she get's all excited b/c the virtual instructor says her name, I thought "What a moron."

As for the stock, it isn't just that ad. Peleton has massively increased its TV ads in the last couple weeks, especially on the sports channels I watch. The stock drop may have more to do with a failure to see a sales increase despite this big ad push.

2. Top | #52
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    In some ways, I would not like to have the UK ASA's (Advertising Standards Authority's) task of making the calls as to when to apply controls, or even advice. The remit might be fairly clear, in this specific case to limit the amount of sexism in advertising (they have other policies for other areas) but the implementation must be very complicated, and they would be walking a very fine line and could take flak from all sides.

In the case of the two banned ads posted here, it seems they might have taken the route of being even-handed, by banning both simultaneously. That's one way to avoid criticism of being non-impartial.

But I wonder how they gauge the strength their responses, in either direction. If I had to guess, and it's only partly a guess, I'd say that counting the number of complaints and objections might be their meter. It's true that the number of complaints is cited by the ASA when they explain their reasonings. Which in some ways, if my guess is right, would be quite a good operating protocol, but, if the popular zeitgeist is edging towards generally over-reacting to stuff, using numbers of complaints as a guide could start to resemble a bit of a witch hunt. Albeit the ASA would make the final judgement, but it might be naive to think they are immune to the public mood and pressure. In other words, if a sufficient or significant number of people over-react, so may the ASA.
    The ASA banned a KFC ad because it said "what the cluck". Warning NSFW if the word 'cluck' is just too much for your office to bear.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...34e8eca25e5338

A KFC advert has been banned for using a pun that sounded too much like a swear word.

Experts today slammed the advertising watchdog for not getting the joke.
    KFC argued that the phrase was a way to “visually represent the sound of a chicken”.
    But the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has ruled the ad could cause “serious and widespread offence” after getting 40 complaints – and it has banned it from appearing again.

It said “what the cluck” sounded too much like “what the f**k”.
    The adverts appeared on bus stops as well as in The Sun and Metro newspapers.
    The ASA said KFC was “irresponsible” for placing the ads where children could see them.
    It also warned the fast-food chain to avoid alluding to expletives in future campaigns.
    “As adults we can see the funny side of an ad that says ‘what the cluck’, and it’s hard to see any offence in something that is clearly a joke and a play on words,” Sarah Vizard, news editor at industry publication MarketingWeek, told The Sun.

3. Top | #53
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let's look at this 30 second video objectively.

A young woman, who appears by all objective standards to be physically fit, approaches this exercise machine with obvious trepidation. Why is an exercise machine so intimidating?

This is because it's not an exercise machine. It's a sex toy, cleverly disguised as an exercise machine. So, in the manner of 19th century garment workers who spent ten hour days at their treadle sewing machines, the woman who has no need to increase her daily caloric burn, spends her free time watching her knees go up and down.

The expression on her face and the heartfelt "Thank you," at the end, says it all. I won't speculate what her husband thinks he is getting out of this deal.

4. Top | #54
    A thought-provoking perspective from leftfield, as ever, bronzeage.

I will just remind you that sometimes, a cigar an exercise machine is just an exercise machine, even if, in advertising, the odds of that might be slightly low.

5. Top | #55
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Why do you care about an anonymous troll's opinion ?
    Who is 'you' and who is the 'troll' and why did you say 'anonymous'?
    You is Ruby Sparks, why do you care about the opinion of anonymous trolls on Twatter ? Do you have stock in Peloton ? What is the point of your OP ?
    commercial released
    3 people get offended
    social media magnifies outrage
    stock drops
    millions of people lose value in their financial portfolios

I don't think you have to have stock in Peloton to have an opinon on this, or even claim victimhood (Which I don't see anyone actually doing). Anyone that holds stock in any company should be concerned about the tyranny of the extremely small but extremely loud and manipulative.

6. Top | #56
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Good news! The woman in the ad left that patriarchal body shaming scumbag of a husband and has a new, "safe" life drinking heavily with her girlfriends. Just goes to show that when life hands you lemons...make lemonade (with a splash of gin, of course!).

(View video on YouTube)

7. Top | #57
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pretty sure that drinking alcohol is forbidden on TV commercials, I guess that this allowed on the internet.

Oh, guess I was kind of wrong. It is allowed by law and FCC policy, but the broadcasters have soft control of not allowing it. Probably they don't want an overcorrection of congress or the FCC banning the commercials after looks of drinking in them.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...cant-drink-tv/

8. Top | #58
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Lesbian feminist writing for The Guardian attacks the male actor for being concerned about his reputation. Quelle surprise.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...he-whole-point

9. Top | #59
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Lesbian feminist writing for The Guardian attacks the male actor for being concerned about his reputation. Quelle surprise.

Actually, she is right - next week, no one will give a rats ass. I know I would not recognize that actor, even the day after seeing the ad.

10. Top | #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

That’s a terrible piece, in my opinion, and just contributes to the unnecessary over-reaction.

In fact, the writer is additionally over-reacting to what the male actor said in his interview, imo.