Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is This Clickbait? 76% won't know the right answer!

  1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,529
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,002
    Rep Power
    100

    Angry Is This Clickbait? 76% won't know the right answer!

    I'm so tired of click bait. It is everywhere and it is maddening and I don't even know if it is one or two words! You look at news wires, and as you scroll down, they are everywhere, making it hard to tell what the actual site content is.

    *insert actress* is dead and no one knew

    Women in *insert city your IP indicates* want to boink data collecting professionals like you

    Doctors says *doing this innocuous thing* will save your life


    or

    Doctor says stop using *insert innocuous thing* now!!!

    And it is even worse on phones, which have made using the internet almost impossible!

    I think most people have clicked on these things once in their life... but are people clicking on click bait enough to justify its existence? It drives me nuts when so much content on the screen is utter bullshit... and then you have the click bait too, which drowns out the shrinking viable content you actually want.

    Is this the price of the Internet and access to cheaper media and news? Is the only way to make news sites viable is to have click bait telling us *Insert actress* bares all, find out who!

    Someone needs to develop an add-on that detects click bait, turns it off, and sends viruses to the source of it. This isn't exactly all of our fault. In the early turn of the millennium, ads on the Internet were intrusive. Pop-ups were a pain in the butt, and some sites were so bad that they could be viruses and what not. So the users said 'screw this' and got pop blockers. Then the ads became even worse because they needed more attention because pop-ups were being blocked. They were large, bandwidth sucking monstrosities. So ad-blockers were designed so we could actually pay attention to what we wanted to look at. And now we have clickbait everywhere telling us Do people in *insert your IP city* have the largest wangs?

    You started this! What happens if clickbait can be blocked? How will advertisers take it up the next notch? Hij.... wait, I don't even want to put any suggestions out there. Area with the most Bestiality convictions? It is much closer than your think.

  2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    10,341
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,996
    Rep Power
    48
    You get waaaaay different click bait options than I do, Jimmy. I wonder if they are dependent on search histories?

  3. Top | #3
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Canada's London
    Posts
    10,441
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    19,955
    Rep Power
    49
    IMO, we're in a transitional phase with media right now. Previously, local media was viable as it was the only source in it's respective community. Now with an abundance of information coming from many sources we have hordes of these organizations doing anything they can to survive - click-bait. In theory the weak should be culled off eventually, and we should be left with ok journalism.

    But the other part of it is that many people actually enjoy reading dumb, substance-less articles. Look at companies like Diply who thrive on a pure click-bait model.

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,529
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,002
    Rep Power
    100
    Top 5 places where men get their dicks stuck... number 4 will surprise you!

  5. Top | #5
    the baby-eater
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Straya
    Posts
    4,068
    Archived
    1,750
    Total Posts
    5,818
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    IMO, we're in a transitional phase with media right now. Previously, local media was viable as it was the only source in it's respective community. Now with an abundance of information coming from many sources we have hordes of these organizations doing anything they can to survive - click-bait. In theory the weak should be culled off eventually, and we should be left with ok journalism.

    But the other part of it is that many people actually enjoy reading dumb, substance-less articles. Look at companies like Diply who thrive on a pure click-bait model.
    Since "many people actually enjoy reading dumb, substance-less articles" (I agree with you on that), then we should expect the media to predominantly publish such articles.

    I think the evolutionarily stable strategy is for most publishers to compete for that low-effort, low-risk audience, while boutique agencies cater to the niche market of difficult investigative journalism and short-form literary excellence.

    IMO the "weak" are the serious journalists who aren't funded by a good business model, and editors who don't know how to write clickbait.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member prideandfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a drawer of inappropriate starches
    Posts
    1,601
    Archived
    2,715
    Total Posts
    4,316
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Is this the price of the Internet and access to cheaper media and news? Is the only way to make news sites viable is to have click bait telling us *Insert actress* bares all, find out who!
    this is the price of allowing stupidity to exist and control the market, and not using regulation to contain the consequences of stupidity.
    it's like unsolicited dicks pics... everyone makes a big deal out of decrying it in public, but if it didn't work a statistically notable amount of the time people would stop doing it.
    there must be hordes of women who respond positively to that, just as there are hordes of people who happily click whatever crap is in front of them without caring.

    Someone needs to develop an add-on that detects click bait, turns it off, and sends viruses to the source of it.
    while the latter would be amusing, the former basically already exists in the form of robust adblockers.

    This isn't exactly all of our fault. In the early turn of the millennium, ads on the Internet were intrusive. Pop-ups were a pain in the butt, and some sites were so bad that they could be viruses and what not. So the users said 'screw this' and got pop blockers. Then the ads became even worse because they needed more attention because pop-ups were being blocked. They were large, bandwidth sucking monstrosities. So ad-blockers were designed so we could actually pay attention to what we wanted to look at. And now we have clickbait everywhere telling us Do people in *insert your IP city* have the largest wangs?
    this is, i feel, akin to people continuing to buy into horoscopes and psychics.
    so long as there are fucktards with money it will be huge business to separate the two.

    You started this! What happens if clickbait can be blocked? How will advertisers take it up the next notch? Hij.... wait, I don't even want to put any suggestions out there. Area with the most Bestiality convictions? It is much closer than your think.
    clickbait is inherently contingent on you believing it and/or clicking it for any reason, even morbid curiosity.
    just stop doing that.

  7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,529
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,002
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    while the latter would be amusing, the former basically already exists in the form of robust adblockers.
    Like what? I can find add-ons that remove ads, but the clickbait can only be blocked individually and only after seeing them.

  8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    27,529
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    70,002
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    while the latter would be amusing, the former basically already exists in the form of robust adblockers.
    Like what? I can find add-ons that remove ads, but the clickbait can only be blocked individually and only after seeing them.
    The answer appears to be Ad Guard for Chrome.

  9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,615
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    27,356
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I'm so tired of click bait. It is everywhere and it is maddening and I don't even know if it is one or two words! You look at news wires, and as you scroll down, they are everywhere, making it hard to tell what the actual site content is.

    *insert actress* is dead and no one knew

    Women in *insert city your IP indicates* want to boink data collecting professionals like you

    Doctors says *doing this innocuous thing* will save your life


    or

    Doctor says stop using *insert innocuous thing* now!!!

    And it is even worse on phones, which have made using the internet almost impossible!

    I think most people have clicked on these things once in their life... but are people clicking on click bait enough to justify its existence? It drives me nuts when so much content on the screen is utter bullshit... and then you have the click bait too, which drowns out the shrinking viable content you actually want.

    Is this the price of the Internet and access to cheaper media and news? Is the only way to make news sites viable is to have click bait telling us *Insert actress* bares all, find out who!

    Someone needs to develop an add-on that detects click bait, turns it off, and sends viruses to the source of it. This isn't exactly all of our fault. In the early turn of the millennium, ads on the Internet were intrusive. Pop-ups were a pain in the butt, and some sites were so bad that they could be viruses and what not. So the users said 'screw this' and got pop blockers. Then the ads became even worse because they needed more attention because pop-ups were being blocked. They were large, bandwidth sucking monstrosities. So ad-blockers were designed so we could actually pay attention to what we wanted to look at. And now we have clickbait everywhere telling us Do people in *insert your IP city* have the largest wangs?

    You started this! What happens if clickbait can be blocked? How will advertisers take it up the next notch? Hij.... wait, I don't even want to put any suggestions out there. Area with the most Bestiality convictions? It is much closer than your think.
    This is nothing. In 20 years, you will yearn for this level of freedom to come back. Right now, advertisers are test-driving forcing you to watch ads at the gas pump. Look at all the empty real estate where advertisers can buy air time, Jimmy. It's not just when you try to read on the Internet or stand at a gas pump. It's also when you brush your teeth, when you toilet, when you shower, and when you drive. As we move to automate driving, we will need something to do. There is no end.

  10. Top | #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    10,366
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,810
    Rep Power
    0
    They will soon have inner eyelid screens so people don't have to carry around phones. Every time you close your eyes, you'll see an add. And it will change each time you blink.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •