Thread: Women Aren't Leaders

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

Women Aren't Leaders

Draw a picture of a leader

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/h...workplace.html

Quote Originally Posted by link
    In terms of gender, the results are almost always the same. Both men and women almost always draw men
    Is this a problem with historical stereotypes dictating present day perception, or an innate human desire for there to be clear gender roles in society?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Golda Meir, Angela Merkel, Indira Gandhi .... how innate is that.

It's more habit than anything else donchano?

3. Top | #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Draw a picture of a leader

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/h...workplace.html

Quote Originally Posted by link
    In terms of gender, the results are almost always the same. Both men and women almost always draw men
    Is this a problem with historical stereotypes dictating present day perception, or an innate human desire for there to be clear gender roles in society?
    Possibly a bit of both. I'd feel slightly less sure about the second one. There's probably other candidate explanations too. We might include that men tend to want to be leaders more. That might even be a biggie. My guess would be that that's why it mostly tended to pan out that way, long before the word 'stereotypes' or the term 'gender roles' were first invented.

What does a leader do? A leader gets to be in charge, a leader has to fight their way up the pecking order and defend that position. They get to form gangs, give orders and be powerful. They also get to start wars. They get to shag a lot more people of the opposite sex. Men generally love all that kinda shit more than women, on the whole. And back in the day, being bigger and having more muscles was a very useful additional asset.

I really don't know the answer, but I bet it's fairly complicated.

4. Top | #4
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think that probably gender roles evolved in the human species quite likely due in good part to the long period of dependence of a tot on the mother... the father doesn't give milk. The males became the defenders and providers for the family and even the tribe and the females saw to the home and family. Even today, women rule the home in all the families I know and even the macho husbands bend to their power in domestic matters.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So we're setting up to blame gender current bias on our recently acquired genetic ability to digest milk from sources other than mom?

Just like a man.