Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to Nicaragua for a month

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'm going to Nicaragua for a month

Hello

From Thursday I'll be in Nicaragua for a month. What should I do? I'm planning on doing some surfing in San Juan del Sur. Will try to have sexual intercourse with slutty American yoga girls in search for deeper meaning, I mean who wear their spirituality like a Melania Trump wears a Gucci dress. Apart from that I have no real plan.

What should I do? Help me guys.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Stay home? Bring condoms and bottled water?

Search on 'things to do in Nicaragua'. Probably a lot of eco tourism.

I'd check the American state dept web site for crime and political issues.

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Survive.

4. Top | #4
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Hello

From Thursday I'll be in Nicaragua for a month. What should I do? I'm planning on doing some surfing in San Juan del Sur. Will try to have sexual intercourse with slutty American yoga girls in search for deeper meaning, I mean who wear their spirituality like a Melania Trump wears a Gucci dress. Apart from that I have no real plan.

Sounds like too much work to me, but outside of nature and people watching likely the most fun thing you'll do there.

5. Top | #5
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Survive.
    Reading travel advisories for dangerous countries is one of my more morbid hobbies, here's Nicaragua.

Whatever you do, don't read the travel advisory for Central African Republic, it makes Nicaragua look safe

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Hello

You don't say in what capacity you're traveling, so I don't know how free you will be to move around Central America. I've never been to Nicaragua, but I have spent time in Costa Rica and Guatemala.

I am a disabled oldster so I didn't try surfing, but we did enjoy whale watching off he Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. They also boast a couple of active volcanoes. I read that Managua contains fine examples of 16th century colonial architecture, if you're into that sort of thing. No Mayan ruins in Nicaragua, like we saw in Guatemala.

But all through Latin America Christian holidays are celebrated with passion and fervor. If you enjoy being a visiting anthropologist you will have a field day. Mrs. Tharmas and I spent Easters in both Antigua Guatemala and in Quito Ecuador. The rituals in each, a bizarre mixture of Catholicism and native traditions, involved the totality of the citizenry and the entire old portions of the cities, with pageants, parades, etc. Fascinating. And you will be there for Christmas, which I understand takes a month to celebrate in that part of the world.

Otherwise, I do understand that the political climate may be a bit unstable, as others have alluded to.

7. Top | #7
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Hello

You don't say in what capacity you're traveling, so I don't know how free you will be to move around Central America. I've never been to Nicaragua, but I have spent time in Costa Rica and Guatemala.

I am a disabled oldster so I didn't try surfing, but we did enjoy whale watching off he Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. They also boast a couple of active volcanoes. I read that Managua contains fine examples of 16th century colonial architecture, if you're into that sort of thing. No Mayan ruins in Nicaragua, like we saw in Guatemala.

But all through Latin America Christian holidays are celebrated with passion and fervor. If you enjoy being a visiting anthropologist you will have a field day. Mrs. Tharmas and I spent Easters in both Antigua Guatemala and in Quito Ecuador. The rituals in each, a bizarre mixture of Catholicism and native traditions, involved the totality of the citizenry and the entire old portions of the cities, with pageants, parades, etc. Fascinating. And you will be there for Christmas, which I understand takes a month to celebrate in that part of the world.

Otherwise, I do understand that the political climate may be a bit unstable, as others have alluded to.
    That was my approach on our recent trip to Rome and the Greek Isles. Unfortunately most of what I saw were rich tourists taking selfies.

Athens was great, though, one of the more memorable travelling experiences of my life to date.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Have you considered kidnap insurance?

9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Survive.
    Reading travel advisories for dangerous countries is one of my more morbid hobbies, here's Nicaragua.

Whatever you do, don't read the travel advisory for Central African Republic, it makes Nicaragua look safe
    Yeah. I was there long, long ago. The roads were so bad it took us a week to drive across the country, and at one point I jumped aboard our truck while it was driving down the road at "full" speed--it was moving slowly enough that it wasn't a problem. Got bit by an evil mosquito. That was the only place we mounted a 24 hour watch on our stuff against human threats. (The bad guys didn't resort to violence, seeing them was enough to deter them.) (I say human because in Ngorongoro crater we had to mount a 24 hour watch against the monkeys trying to steal our food. A lot of the stuff could be secured by the biggest guys tying the ropes as tightly as possible but not everything could be thus protected.)

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sounds like a great trip.