Thread: Role Playing Games

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Role Playing Games

Tomorrow, my son is running a game of Dungeons and Dragons for my work group as a team building event. It should be fun. I know nothing about this but what he’s explained over dinner. He created a campaign that has hidden “engineering” answers in case our group decides to try to figure out short cuts by being all team-ey. Clever boy.

We’ll see how this goes to build team.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A lot of people still play this game. Still widely popular. Hope you have fun. And hopefully you play old school style with map and minis.

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkingfan View Post
    A lot of people still play this game. Still widely popular. Hope you have fun. And hopefully you play old school style with map and minis.
    Maps and minis make it easier but at least 90% of my play has been with no minis and the only map was in front of the DM, not out for people to see.

I always worked on the assumption the characters were actually mapping, things like "we go back to the entrance" were fine--I would assume they were taking the most direct route that they knew. If they couldn't get somewhere by what they knew, though, they would have to explore.

I've only played on-line for ages, now. Pencil and paper games almost inevitably run too late for me.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Math rocks are important. Sometimes, late in the evening, you manage to throw a 300d6 lightning bolt from the Staff of Capacitance, or a giant fireball, or a damage-spreading missile-goat, and damn it, math shortcuts just won't cut it.
    Then you need the three hundred math rocks.

5. Top | #5
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We had a lot of fun. Son made a good campaign and successfully crafted it to run 3 hours. Everyone got into playing and we learned how things work, drank a good amount of wine, shouted a bit when we battled and got more comfortable with each other as a team. Everyone said, “great idea, lots of fun” at the end. So a big win.

We played with a large whiteboard map and used a spare set of dice as the minis.
    I was a Dwarf Druid.