Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Millennials Are Leaving Religion And Not Coming Back

1. Top | #51
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Since 2012 I've been active in secular religion. I even took part in starting a religion. I think that's the new big thing. Considering how extremely fast it's spreading. Spiritual work is really big now. It used to be only for New Age hippies. But now it's for sensible people who are scientifically litterate. We're also "converting hippies".

My point is that most of those in interact with in our group/religion don't identify with being religious. Or it's a bit vague and nebolous. They see it more as somewhere to train life skills, as learning the piano, theatre class, go dancing etc. Spiritual work is just another one of these. Whether we should call this a religion is a matter of definition. I do. But there's no talk of beliefs.

I see this as what will completely replace religion in the future. It fills the same function IMHO. And is more suited to the post Internet/social media world we have today.

2. Top | #52
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Since 2012 I've been active in secular religion. I even took part in starting a religion. I think that's the new big thing. Considering how extremely fast it's spreading. Spiritual work is really big now. It used to be only for New Age hippies. But now it's for sensible people who are scientifically litterate. We're also "converting hippies".

My point is that most of those in interact with in our group/religion don't identify with being religious. Or it's a bit vague and nebolous. They see it more as somewhere to train life skills, as learning the piano, theatre class, go dancing etc. Spiritual work is just another one of these. Whether we should call this a religion is a matter of definition. I do. But there's no talk of beliefs.

I see this as what will completely replace religion in the future. It fills the same function IMHO. And is more suited to the post Internet/social media world we have today.
    That strikes me as having no religion be a religion. In that case everything becomes religion.

So let me see. I used to put teeth under my pillow because everyone told me the tooth fairy would take my tooth and give me money. Now I know that that exchange was being pulled off by my parents and there was never a tooth fairy, even when I believed there was one. So now I do other things with that time that used to be used believing in the tooth fairy. Do you see where I'm going?

3. Top | #53
    Contributor
    If you search atheist church in Seattle you will get some hits.

Universalist Unitarians have a church like environment and structure, but theism is not required.

Sem
    ems like a contradiction in terms, church and atheism. Secular Humanism does not invoke religion or church.

Atheist religion or church sounds like people want the comfort and structure of religion without the baggie. Inevitably becomes an ideology with a structure and a power hierarchy.

There are so many existing alternatives existing why invent something new? Because moist people need a group identity of some kind.

4. Top | #54
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It should be noted that a lot of millenials never had any religion to leave, thanks to their parents. So to say they're leaving and not coming back is to imply that they were religious at some point. Most probably were not. Maybe they were baptized and taken to churches as kids but getting to sunday's soccer game was always more important to them than going to church.

5. Top | #55
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    From what I can see, they worship their goddamned phones. Think about those phones all day. Heed them instantly. Have a personal relationship with their phones. Are lost without them. With a phone in their little mitts, they have purpose-driven lives, assuming the phones are charged up.

6. Top | #56
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    From what I can see, they worship their goddamned phones. Think about those phones all day. Heed them instantly. Have a personal relationship with their phones. Are lost without them. With a phone in their little mitts, they have purpose-driven lives, assuming the phones are charged up.
    Their version of Hell likely involves them finding themselves having gone to the toilet and not brought their phone with them, so they just have to sit there wondering what exactly they should do with themselves while they're in there.

7. Top | #57
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Those trying to find a life texting those who have no life but staring into a screen.