Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Student expelled by law school after posting ‘It’s OK to be white’ flyers: report

1. Top | #71
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zorq View Post
    [
    This spree of flyers in the past couple of years was inspired by the /pol community on 4chan in 2017. They did craft it as you describe so that they could make hay from overreactions to an innocuous statement.
    Indeed. And that you can get people up in arms over such an innocuous statement exposes them as racist.
    ...OR... it exposes the fact that the statement isn't as innocuous as it appears on the surface. Placed in the context of it's use by non-trolling white supremacists... it loses it's innocence.
    ... But...

The expression was first used for mass consumption as the title of a song written by the white power music group "Aggressive Force" back in 2001. It was used on other fliers back in 2005. And a member of the United Klans of America posted it to twitter back in 2012.
    And I will bet you that they used it for the same reasoning. Just because somebody is racist doesn't mean they can't and won't call out other racists, and their doing so, while extremely hypocritical, isn't wrong and certainly doesn't make anyone else wrong who makes the same point.
    Well, I guess I'll take that bet. I went ahead and dug up a lyric list for the song "It's ok to be white" by Agressive Force. You can find it here: https://genius.com/Aggressive-force-...e-white-lyrics

If you can find anything that indicates the song or for that matter any of the other songs on the album it was packaged with are satirical or not meant to be taken seriously... I'm happy to hear it. Here's a sample from the song:

"It's okay to be White
    Loyalty within you
    Have with your kin
    It's okay to be White
    Told about atrocities Six million Jews
    Really it was the holohoax
    Propaganda for the evening news"

2. Top | #72
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think we have a lot of grandparent aged white people who feel bad about some advantages they had when growing up and want to even the playing field through white kids their grandkid's age instead of throwing their money into racial minority charities to the degree where they have to live off cat food for the rest of their lives.

Doing this without overcorrecting or miscorrecting is a challenge.

Anyway, let the dead bury the dead and all that.

I feel that in some ways there should be generational firewalls set up. Millennials and younger should have no say on certain topics effecting baby boomers and boomers need to shut the fuck up on topics involving the young. Especially how fast demographics are changing and the affirmative action still in place for too long.

3. Top | #73
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Given that "it is ok to be white" is a tag line for white nationalists, white supremacists and bigots, there are very good reasons to believe that it is racist when uttered and used by them.
    Two issues here. First, you've completed the circular logic with this in using this to decide this guy is racist. Second, you've failed to grasp that racists can say things that aren't racist. Just because racists have used soemthing as a tagline to make a point they want to make, doesn't mean that must be a racist point.

White people are not under "attack" in the US.
    I'm inclined to agree. Especially when you use some colourful language as "war on white people". That's nonsense. But its certainly true that you've got some racist SJWs who like to hate on white people (and hold them collectively responsible for what each other do, or are claimed to do).

There is no cultural or social movement of any consequence that claims that white people are not "ok".
    Yes there is. There is a social movement pushing the message that white people are racist. Being racist is not ok.

If you think about it, why would anyone in the USA of the numerically and historically dominant race feel the need to "defy" a extreme minority viewpoint with such a stupid slogan?
    People are odd. Just because you wouldn't feel the need to do that, doesn't mean that others don't. And them merely wanting to push the racist SJWs back isn't in itself racist.

You are basically arguing this statement "it is ok to be white" is being used to troll people. If that is true, why bother trolling "those people" (whomever they are)?
    Two answers to this. First, its not just for trolling. Its to make a point. Second, there is a trolling aspect to it, yes. And why to people troll anyone? They get a rise out of it, and making fun of those they disagree with. Its not like you haven't engaged in that yourself.

4. Top | #74
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorq View Post
    ...OR... it exposes the fact that the statement isn't as innocuous as it appears on the surface. Placed in the context of it's use by non-trolling white supremacists... it loses it's innocence.
    ... But...

The expression was first used for mass consumption as the title of a song written by the white power music group "Aggressive Force" back in 2001. It was used on other fliers back in 2005. And a member of the United Klans of America posted it to twitter back in 2012.
    And I will bet you that they used it for the same reasoning. Just because somebody is racist doesn't mean they can't and won't call out other racists, and their doing so, while extremely hypocritical, isn't wrong and certainly doesn't make anyone else wrong who makes the same point.
    Well, I guess I'll take that bet. I went ahead and dug up a lyric list for the song "It's ok to be white" by Agressive Force. You can find it here: https://genius.com/Aggressive-force-...e-white-lyrics

If you can find anything that indicates the song or for that matter any of the other songs on the album it was packaged with are satirical or not meant to be taken seriously... I'm happy to hear it. Here's a sample from the song:

"It's okay to be White
    Loyalty within you
    Have with your kin
    It's okay to be White
    Told about atrocities Six million Jews
    Really it was the holohoax
    Propaganda for the evening news"
    I'm going to assume that for Half Life, Trausti, Harvestdancer, JP, etc, the general answer is always going to be Obviously it's just a sarcastic joke*.

*Unless you happen to be a white supremecist, in which case it's totally not.

5. Top | #75
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Two issues here. First, you've completed the circular logic with this in using this to decide this guy is racist. Second, you've failed to grasp that racists can say things that aren't racist. Just because racists have used soemthing as a tagline to make a point they want to make, doesn't mean that must be a racist point.
    I have made no judgement about this particular student. He was expelled because he violated the terms of his suspension, so that is your first mistake. As to your second observation, it is also wrong. Of course racists can say non-racist sentences. What you clearly fail to understand in your persistent effort to whiteknight bigots is that racists will make racist statements.

I'm inclined to agree. Especially when you use some colourful language as "war on white people". That's nonsense. But its certainly true that you've got some racist SJWs who like to hate on white people (and hold them collectively responsible for what each other do, or are claimed to do).
    Some "racist SJWs" do not constitute a "cultural or social movement of consequence".

People are odd. Just because you wouldn't feel the need to do that, doesn't mean that others don't. And them merely wanting to push the racist SJWs back isn't in itself racist.
    Doing it in a racist fashion is.

Two answers to this. First, its not just for trolling. Its to make a point. Second, there is a trolling aspect to it, yes. And why to people troll anyone? They get a rise out of it, and making fun of those they disagree with.
    One can make a point without using racist or bigoted terminology. You do realize that racists can say non-racist statements.

However, trolls who use racist terminology are going to look like bigots or racists. Trolls who defend racists are going to look like enablers of racism.
    Its not like you haven't engaged in that yourself.
    Coming from an expert, that must be true.

6. Top | #76
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Pretty much the only time it's OK to say "It's ok to be X" is in the context of someone saying it's not. For black people, Muslims, Jews, gays, etc, there's a long history of this that they can speak to. In fact, there is an entire culture with centuries, even millennia of momentum screaming that being such was anethma. Words have been coined, popularized, circulated to refer to these groups that not just mean "group member" but "member of an inferior group", slurs.

There IS a small contingent of idiots among white people who think that it's not OK to be white. They are racist, the Uncle Ruckus of white people. But they are a vanishing minority. They need to be spoken about in specific terms but there is no wise justification for messaging against them in broad, loud announcements that, in such contex and with a lack of prescient messaging, implies "its not ok to be not--X"

7. Top | #77
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Half-Life it looks like the student wasn't expelled because of the flyers, but because they broke the terms of their suspension which are unidentified in the article.

So we don't know why they were expelled.
    They suspended him for posting that he wanted a girl who, among other quaities, had never been with a black dude. The phrase i saw was 'suspended from studies,' and it appears that just being on campus violated the suspension, but i cannot find the exact terms.
    I wouldn't want anyone that stupid in my law school.

8. Top | #78
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, I'm white. And I'm okay with it. I know some whites say they're born that way, but for me it's a lifestyle, and I chose to be white. I know some people are promoting de-whiting therapy, but that's not for me. I'm going to find another white person, hopefully, as a life partner, and, you know what? Damn the world. We'll be white and we'll support each other. And you who have problems with that, well, that's your problem. Get over it. I'm on the spectrum (i.e. George Hamilton through Edgar Winter.) I'm white, it's tight, get over it. WHITE, bitches.

9. Top | #79
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    There IS a small contingent of idiots among white people who think that it's not OK to be white. They are racist, the Uncle Ruckus of white people. But they are a vanishing minority.
    No. They are a growing minority, enabled by PC culture, and they aren't just white people.

They need to be spoken about in specific terms but there is no wise justification for messaging against them in broad, loud announcements that, in such contex and with a lack of prescient messaging, implies "its not ok to be not--X"
    Addressing racism publically, including addressing racist SJWs is perfectly fine. If people insist on reading into it, thats on them.

It's one thing if somebody is attacking you. It's quite another to read in that somebody is attacking you if they are merely defending themselves from people attacking them with such a benign statement as that it's ok to be them.

By doing so you send them the message that it's not ok to be them, that their mere being white is a problem, and justify their very act of saying iit is ok. If you want them to stop saying it is ok and to shake their feelings of persecution so they are less prone to saying this often, then maybe don't feed into and justify it. A mere shrug of the shoulders and a "yeah ok then.." would do it.

10. Top | #80
    Veteran Member
    That asshole was not just making a cry into the wilderness to say that he--a white guy--is ok with his "whiteness," and golly gee willikers isn't it all just so grand to be a white person--which doesn't actually exist--can't we all just get along and live in peace and harmony together? It was a deliberate provocation and if he doesn't know that "white" is code for "racist, segregationist asshole with fascist tendencies" in this country, then he's a fucking moron raised by wolves.

So, would you also just shrug your shoulders and say, "yeah, ok, then" if he wrote "It's ok to be a racist, segregationist asshole with fascist tendencies"? Not you, specifically, of course. Nobody gives a fuck about you. The rhetorical "you."

If he TRULY wished some benign reaction, then he should have posted something like, "Melanin is meaningless" or "There are no colors, only humans" or "There is only the human race" or the like. Instead, he, at the very least, advocated to continue the idea of separation by skin color, which, alone, is not an "ok then" proposition.

The whataboutism tu quoque works both ways. If it's not ok for "blacks" to argue for "black supremacy" then why the fuck would it be ok for "whites" to argue for "white supremacy" or even to just say, "It's ok to be white" as if whites are the oppressed.

The whole idea of whites being the oppressed class is itself a lie told by white supremacists in order to recruit more brain-dead white trash assholes and stoke more hatred and segregation. And no, no one needs to be a mind reader for such transparent horseshit, so stop fucking your feigned high horse, nobody ever buys it.
    Last edited by Koyaanisqatsi; 12-17-2019 at 04:48 PM.