Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Student expelled by law school after posting ‘It’s OK to be white’ flyers: report

1. Top | #61
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    So what you're saying is that if I say, "I'm proud to be white," this is automatic racism? I can't be proud of my skin color even in a non-racist context?

Blacks can say, "I'm proud to be black" without being considered a racist. If blacks can say it, whites can say it.
    Both of those hint towards racism.
    If you confuse people who say, "I'm proud to be white" with "white supremacism," then aren't YOU the racist?
    This is a good point. You can be racist without being supremacist. White nationalists can even technically not be supremacist (though I think most are).

2. Top | #62
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    You clearly take offense at the idea that you are being called a racist. Thus you are, in fact, a fragile little snowflake. One need not be on Twitter to be a crybully.
    What? Look, man, I really don't care that some white dude thinks I'm racist. I'll admit, I find it eye-roll worthy. I also find it funny that this is the only way you can argue, and depressingly predictable. But trust me, your opinion is nothing I'd lose sleep over, especially since you are a self-admitted psychopath, so I don't believe you honestly care about any of these things.

All your false concern-trolling aside over what you believe progressives believe aside (given your delusions, I don't think it matters anyway), nobody cares who you YHINK progressives might believe is racist; I'm a progressive, and regardless of what race you ascribe to, I think you are racist. So you're straight up wrong.

Cry more, racist.
    False concern-trolling? Are you only capable of reasoning in cookie-cutter responses that could be ripped directly out of some partisan twitter feed? Are you even capable of an independent thought? Or is it too difficult to blend in to society when you try to do that?

Also, I am a progressive too, although maybe simply leftist would be more accurate. But sure, dude, I guess I'm a racist because I think there is a clear animosity towards white people in certain sections of the left. Because the thing is, my dude, I don't hate white people, and it's clear as day if you run in these circles, which I do. Or perhaps did, particularly in the past when I was big into the anarchist left. Anyway, most minorities don't hate white people. Indeed, most minorities I know find the mawkish, self-flagellation of "progressive" whites extremely off-putting. I've literally had people apologize to me for being white. It makes me not trust you.

3. Top | #63
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I think we all know this is bullshit.

Saying "it's ok to be white" is merely somebody pushing back against the impression they get that people are shaming people for being white and collectively blaming them for racism etc. Half Life is way over the top, but he's not wrong that white males are considered less taboo in polite society to deride simply for being white and male. Sexism against women and racism against non-whites is at least recognized as bad.

"it's ok to be white" is deliberately crafted to be taken and unobjectionable, to make a point when people react to it with hostility and cries of racism. And it's not a bad point.
    I think almost everyone except for white nationalists, white supremacists, bigots, racists and their duped enablers know that is utter bullshit. There is no war against white people except in the "minds" of white nationalists, white supremacists, bigots and racists, and perhaps their duped enablers.
    "It's ok to be white" isn't a message of hate crafted against minorities. It is a message of defiance crafted at over the top racist SJWs.
    See above.

4. Top | #64
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Saying "it's ok to be white" is merely somebody pushing back against the impression they get that people are shaming people for being white and collectively blaming them for racism etc. Half Life is way over the top, but he's not wrong that white males are considered less taboo in polite society to deride simply for being white and male. Sexism against women and racism against non-whites is at least recognized as bad.

"it's ok to be white" is deliberately crafted to be taken and unobjectionable, to make a point when people react to it with hostility and cries of racism. And it's not a bad point.

"It's ok to be white" isn't a message of hate crafted against minorities. It is a message of defiance crafted at over the top racist SJWs.
    Well... It's actually a little bit more than that. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_OK_to_be_white

This spree of flyers in the past couple of years was inspired by the /pol community on 4chan in 2017. They did craft it as you describe so that they could make hay from overreactions to an innocuous statement. ... But...

The expression was first used for mass consumption as the title of a song written by the white power music group "Aggressive Force" back in 2001. It was used on other fliers back in 2005. And a member of the United Klans of America posted it to twitter back in 2012.

My point here is that the expression isn't as innocuous as the 4chan folks might like it to be. There IS a historical context for this expression and the historical context muddies implications of the overreactions to the expression. In other words, the "overreactions" to the expression might actually be more accurately calibrated to the expression's use in society than the users on 4chan spreading the expression understood.

5. Top | #65
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorq View Post
    [
    This spree of flyers in the past couple of years was inspired by the /pol community on 4chan in 2017. They did craft it as you describe so that they could make hay from overreactions to an innocuous statement.
    Indeed. And that you can get people up in arms over such an innocuous statement exposes them as racist.

... But...

The expression was first used for mass consumption as the title of a song written by the white power music group "Aggressive Force" back in 2001. It was used on other fliers back in 2005. And a member of the United Klans of America posted it to twitter back in 2012.
    And I will bet you that they used it for the same reasoning. Just because somebody is racist doesn't mean they can't and won't call out other racists, and their doing so, while extremely hypocritical, isn't wrong and certainly doesn't make anyone else wrong who makes the same point.

6. Top | #66
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post

I think almost everyone except for white nationalists, white supremacists, bigots, racists and their duped enablers know that is utter bullshit. There is no war against white people except in the "minds" of white nationalists, white supremacists, bigots and racists, and perhaps their duped enablers.
    There doesn't have to be a "war on white people" for this statement to be defiance against actual or perceived racist SJWs. There is no reason to believe "it's ok to be white" is racist. Your mind reading fails.

See above.
    Yes. See above.

7. Top | #67
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

There doesn't have to be a "war on white people" for this statement to be defiance against actual or perceived racist SJWs. There is no reason to believe "it's ok to be white" is racist. Your mind reading fails.
    Applying reasoning is not mind reading. While your first sentence is logically true in a vacuum. But we don't live in a vacuum. Given that "it is ok to be white" is a tag line for white nationalists, white supremacists and bigots, there are very good reasons to believe that it is racist when uttered and used by them.

White people are not under "attack" in the US. There is no cultural or social movement of any consequence that claims that white people are not "ok". If you think about it, why would anyone in the USA of the numerically and historically dominant race feel the need to "defy" a extreme minority viewpoint with such a stupid slogan?

You are basically arguing this statement "it is ok to be white" is being used to troll people. If that is true, why bother trolling "those people" (whomever they are)?

8. Top | #68
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    You clearly take offense at the idea that you are being called a racist. Thus you are, in fact, a fragile little snowflake. One need not be on Twitter to be a crybully.
    What? Look, man, I really don't care that some white dude thinks I'm racist. I'll admit, I find it eye-roll worthy. I also find it funny that this is the only way you can argue, and depressingly predictable. But trust me, your opinion is nothing I'd lose sleep over, especially since you are a self-admitted psychopath, so I don't believe you honestly care about any of these things.

All your false concern-trolling aside over what you believe progressives believe aside (given your delusions, I don't think it matters anyway), nobody cares who you YHINK progressives might believe is racist; I'm a progressive, and regardless of what race you ascribe to, I think you are racist. So you're straight up wrong.

Cry more, racist.
    False concern-trolling? Are you only capable of reasoning in cookie-cutter responses that could be ripped directly out of some partisan twitter feed? Are you even capable of an independent thought? Or is it too difficult to blend in to society when you try to do that?

Also, I am a progressive too, although maybe simply leftist would be more accurate. But sure, dude, I guess I'm a racist because I think there is a clear animosity towards white people in certain sections of the left. Because the thing is, my dude, I don't hate white people, and it's clear as day if you run in these circles, which I do. Or perhaps did, particularly in the past when I was big into the anarchist left. Anyway, most minorities don't hate white people. Indeed, most minorities I know find the mawkish, self-flagellation of "progressive" whites extremely off-putting. I've literally had people apologize to me for being white. It makes me not trust you.
    And I've had people walk up to me and tell me I have demons flying around me. Some people be crazy. I'm sure I could walk out and find anyone who believes any damn thing. Doesnt make it normal or worth considering.

But hey, just because you're a shoo-in for an Uncle Ruckus type-casting who thinks that we need to cry for white people because of the vanishing few white people who are somehow racist against themselves for being privileged doesn't mean I hate you. It just means I think you're just as crazy as them.

9. Top | #69
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post

Applying reasoning is not mind reading. While your first sentence is logically true in a vacuum. But we don't live in a vacuum. Given that "it is ok to be white" is a tag line for white nationalists, white supremacists and bigots, there are very good reasons to believe that it is racist when uttered and used by them.

White people are not under "attack" in the US. There is no cultural or social movement of any consequence that claims that white people are not "ok". If you think about it, why would anyone in the USA of the numerically and historically dominant race feel the need to "defy" a extreme minority viewpoint with such a stupid slogan?

You are basically arguing this statement "it is ok to be white" is being used to troll people. If that is true, why bother trolling "those people" (whomever they are)?
    Yeah, they seem to think we don't hear the clearly dog-whistle implied (supremecist) that lives after "white" in that sentence.

It IS okay to be a white person. It is NOT ok to be a white supremecist. And white supremecist are the only people the vast majority of sane (anyone) thinks need to sit down, shut up, and feel shame for what they are. Talking to you, Halfie. And you, Uncle (J842p) Ruckus.

10. Top | #70
    Veteran Member
    It's an oppressor saying--to fellow oppressor class members, whether dormant or active--that it's ok that we're the oppressors and indeed we should take pride in it. Just deny the bad parts and focus only on the good parts--because, really, there never have been any bad parts; that's in the past, that's fake news, that's a witch hunt and blah blah blah bullshit recruitment brainwashing blah. And it fucking works because you're all goddamned morons (and I mean that in the original clinical sense).

It has everything to do with legitimizing and encouraging separation/segregation, which, of course, is inherently bigoted to begin with, so the very act of declaring that it's not about bigotry proves that it is ALL about bigotry!

It's what cults do ffs and while it works to a certain degree, it only works on the worst of us, so congrats. You're recruiting the bottom of the barrel and encouraging them to become even stupider. It's an army of morons and you get to be minor lieutenants in a moron legion and you end up doing nothing more than eat your superior's shit and thank them for it all day long.

So fucking bizarre. You all fight each other to eat the most shit and actually think it somehow immortalizes you or something, in spite of the endless parade of once-favored bodies kicked to the curb and declared "disloyal."