Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Student expelled by law school after posting ‘It’s OK to be white’ flyers: report

1. Top | #101
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post

Code: a word or phrase chosen in place of another word or phrase in order to communicate an attitude or meaning without stating it explicitly. Iow, the asswipe is the one equating "white" with things that aren't ok, he just doesn't give a shit that they aren't ok and/or thinks they are just fine.
    And you know all of this about him and are correct in your creative mind reading because he posted a sign saying "Its ok to be white". Got it.
    Given this student apparently wanted a girl friend who had not been with a black guy, it is a reasonable deduction. On the otherhand, you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim that this his "Its ok to be white" is some innocent statement.
    I would consider categorically not dating a certain race pretty good evidence of racism, to the point where it's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt. And if a person refuses to date someone who has dated someone of another race, then that is almost certainly racism. Pretty much, there is no other rational explanation.

2. Top | #102
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Given this student apparently wanted a girl friend who had not been with a black guy, it is a reasonable deduction. On the otherhand, you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim that this his "Its ok to be white" is some innocent statement.
    I would consider categorically not dating a certain race pretty good evidence of racism, to the point where it's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt. And if a person refuses to date someone who has dated someone of another race, then that is almost certainly racism. Pretty much, there is no other rational explanation.
    Hmm, if there was a white guy who really liked and dated many Chinese and Japanese women and only one white woman for a short time many years ago, then a white woman otherwise interested in him may look at him as a poor prospect and she may be right. Orgasms with particularly featured people may be a strong reinforcing factor for sexual tastes.

She likely won't acquire a disinterest in him because she doesn't want asian cooties.

But this guy might be going down a path similar to Joseph Paul Franklin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Paul_Franklin

3. Top | #103
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    I wouldn't. Some people just don't get it up, and yeah, a lot of that is based on looks. I don't get it up from women, and that doesn't mean I'm a misogynist. A lot of people don't have the stirrings for people with dicks, and that doesn't make them misandrists.

We don't choose who to be horny for, who to be flaccid for.

But such secondary (tertiary?) traits as "has dated black people"? That's pretty fucking racist.

4. Top | #104
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

I wouldn't. Some people just don't get it up, and yeah, a lot of that is based on looks. I don't get it up from women, and that doesn't mean I'm a misogynist. A lot of people don't have the stirrings for people with dicks, and that doesn't make them misandrists.

An interesting turnaround for someone who wrote, and I quote:

I have no problem taking a shit on people who place a hard no on race.

5. Top | #105
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post

Code: a word or phrase chosen in place of another word or phrase in order to communicate an attitude or meaning without stating it explicitly. Iow, the asswipe is the one equating "white" with things that aren't ok, he just doesn't give a shit that they aren't ok and/or thinks they are just fine.
    And you know all of this about him and are correct in your creative mind reading because he posted a sign saying "Its ok to be white". Got it.
    Given this student apparently wanted a girl friend who had not been with a black guy, it is a reasonable deduction.
    That he's "a racist, segregationist asshole with fascist tendencies" as Koy insists? No. It really isn't.

On the otherhand, you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim that this his "Its ok to be white" is some innocent statement.
    It is on the face of it. If you're going to make derogatory accusations against people, the onus should be on you to prove them, not on the person you are attacking.

6. Top | #106
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin
    That he's "a racist, segregationist asshole with fascist tendencies" as Koy insists? No. It really isn't.
    It is more consistent with the meager evidence we have than your evidence-free defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Penguin
    It is on the face of it. If you're going to make derogatory accusations against people, the onus should be on you to prove them, not on the person you are attacking.
    This is not occurring in some vacuum - there is no simple "on the face of it". We have other information about this person - information you conveniently ignore.

7. Top | #107
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

I have no problem taking a shit on people who place a hard no on race.
    There's a difference between not dating someone of a particular race and vocalizing a hard no publicly.

In reality, I, even as someone who has only ever dated and been attracted to men, and the occasional transman (in fact, every "woman" I've ever felt a stirring for later came out as trans...) I don't place a hard no on women. I'm not committed to "being gay". The heart wants what the heart wants, and I'm not going to deny myself happiness if I find myself surprised*; nobody should and to say that it will never, can never happen is an act of racist hubris. If it happens to end up as categorical, that's what it is. Making the statement preemptively, though, that's pretty racist and I'll gladly shit on such a face.

*I'm happily married. Incidentally, to one of those trans men.

8. Top | #108
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Given this student apparently wanted a girl friend who had not been with a black guy, it is a reasonable deduction.

On the otherhand, you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim that this his "Its ok to be white" is some innocent statement.
    No, on the face of it, given the context, it is not. It lacks what would necessary to provide a face that would otherwise be innocent.

9. Top | #109
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

There's a difference between not dating someone of a particular race and vocalizing a hard no publicly.

In reality, I, even as someone who has only ever dated and been attracted to men, and the occasional transman (in fact, every "woman" I've ever felt a stirring for later came out as trans...) I don't place a hard no on women. I'm not committed to "being gay". The heart wants what the heart wants, and I'm not going to deny myself happiness if I find myself surprised*; nobody should and to say that it will never, can never happen is an act of racist hubris. If it happens to end up as categorical, that's what it is. Making the statement preemptively, though, that's pretty racist and I'll gladly shit on such a face.

*I'm happily married. Incidentally, to one of those trans men.
    I see. The problem isn't having the preference; the problem is admitting it.

10. Top | #110
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin
    It is more consistent with the meager evidence we have than your evidence-free defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Penguin
    This is not occurring in some vacuum - there is no simple "on the face of it". We have other information about this person - information you conveniently ignore.
    And even if we had no other evidence and took JP's bullshit "benign" argument at all seriously, it is an inherently bigoted statement as it (a) establishes a particular grouping of people (called "white" people), (b) separates them from any other group, including other "white" people that are not defined, (c) intimates that they are justified in being persecuted (even though, again, it's the other "white" people that are actually guilty) and then (e) assumes the authority to forgive the actions that led to their persecution, because "they" aren't the "white people" that others are really persecuting.

Iow, under JP's bridge, the kid meant, "It's ok to be the 'white' people who don't oppress non-white people, but I'm not saying anything about the 'white' people who do oppress non-white people in this sign, even though we ALL know--as 'white' people--that everyone in the world except for trolls under bridges will think we're talking about the bad 'white' people."