Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HPV: WHO calls for countries to suspend vaccination of boys

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Why should countries like UK eschew vaccinating their boys if there are girls anywhere in the world who don't have access? Why should boys be sacrificed?
    Not everyone can be vaccinated under current production limitations. Someone will be "sacrificed" (to use your comically dramatic language). You can ask why the boys should be "sacrificed", but anyone else can just as easily ask why the girls in lower income countries should be "sacrificed".

The response to why boys should be given lower prioritization, boys (particularly in higher income countries) are in the lower risk category from hr-HPV-linked cancer and from fatality as a result of such cancer.

If I ask you why the girls in lower income countries should be given lower prioritization, what say you? Why should they be "sacrificed" (and potentially in higher numbers due to higher known risk)?

People in rich countries earn and spend with astonishing abandon if you think about the conditions of most of the world. I'm easily in the global 1% of income earners and I'm only on a salary slightly higher than average--for Australia.

But although rich countries and rich people could do all kinds of things that would alleviate suffering in poor-income countries, we generally don't.

Can you imagine a gender-swapped version of the above? Can you imagine WHO or anyone else asking wealthy women (and almost every woman in a Western country is obscenely wealthy by world standards) to give up some kind of health care so that boys in poor-income countries can receive something? It wouldn't happen in a million years.

Health care research and spending already favours women and has done so for decades.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    If you bothered to read the OP, the issue is that there is not enough of the vaccine for everyone at this time. If HPV has a higher rate of serious health issues in one gender compared to the other, it is possible from a medical (not ethical) point of view to think that the vaccines should be targeted towards the group(s) who are more affected.
    WHO is arguing that until ALL girls can get vaccinated, NO boys should be. That is incredibly sexist.
    It's like the argument that if there aren't enough life boats, all men should just be chivalrous and drown.
    HPV doesn't effect men and women the same. Or am I wrong about that? It's prone to causing cervical cancer bin women, not testicular cancer in men. Is that correct? If so, then why wouldn't you want girls to get this vaccine before boys do? HPV is relatively harmless to boys.

I wonder if trans girls are still included for the vaccine.
    No. HPV is associated with penile and throat cancer in men.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I really feel for Metaphor on this. Clearly women are going to be the end of him.

Regardless, check out this link. Each year, HPV is associated with about 35,000 new cases in the US. The split is around 60-40 overall. It would appear gay men are at great risk as oropharnyx is the big cause among men, otherwise, men's risk to HPV related cancers plummets to closer to 10% or nearly a magnitude lower than women.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I really feel for Metaphor on this. Clearly women are going to be the end of him.

Regardless, check out this link. Each year, HPV is associated with about 35,000 new cases in the US. The split is around 60-40 overall. It would appear gay men are at great risk as oropharnyx is the big cause among men, otherwise, men's risk to HPV related cancers plummets to closer to 10% or nearly a magnitude lower than women.
    I don't understand your analysis here, oropharynx cancer isn't limited to gay men, indeed, the famous cases I know about are all straight men. But it seems overall HPV is associated with about 20,700 cancers in women and 14,100 cancers in men.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Okay, my bad with the poor presumption. Looks like they don't really know the source or why it is on the rise. Most oropharnyx related cancers aren't HPV, though, and more related to smoking.

6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    If you bothered to read the OP, the issue is that there is not enough of the vaccine for everyone at this time. If HPV has a higher rate of serious health issues in one gender compared to the other, it is possible from a medical (not ethical) point of view to think that the vaccines should be targeted towards the group(s) who are more affected.
    WHO is arguing that until ALL girls can get vaccinated, NO boys should be. That is incredibly sexist.
    It's like the argument that if there aren't enough life boats, all men should just be chivalrous and drown.
    First, no one made that straw man argument, so you can stop your inane ranting. Second, the issue is not enough to go around, how should the vaccine be allocated?

7. Top | #17
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post

HPV doesn't effect men and women the same. Or am I wrong about that? It's prone to causing cervical cancer bin women, not testicular cancer in men. Is that correct? If so, then why wouldn't you want girls to get this vaccine before boys do? HPV is relatively harmless to boys.

It is? In that case I stand with Derec. This is sexist and unjust.

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Health care research and spending already favours women and has done so for decades.
    You got data on that?

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post

It is? In that case I stand with Derec. This is sexist and unjust.
    Because it causes more cancers in group X than group Y it makes no medical sense to target the vaccines towards group X?

10. Top | #20
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It makes sense to make more damn vaccine. That's the real story here. They should be doubling down on making more if this stuff. Not setting policies to take it away from peoole who need it. And he's, while the shortage lasts, the existing vaccine should be provided to those most at risk. I don't know if that is as simple as saying that's girls, or if other factors are as or more important (such as who is sexually active and who isn't etc).