Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health and Food Over the Holidays

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post
    Why are you all so judgmental about the foods others eat? There is no such thing as 'bad' food or 'good' food. There is just food.
    Have you seen Soylent Green?

2. Top | #12
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post
    Why are you all so judgmental about the foods others eat? There is no such thing as 'bad' food or 'good' food. There is just food.
    Well, some foods certainly have more nutritional value than others. I do think some of us have gone way overboard worrying about every morsel we put into our mouths. Life is to be enjoyed as much as possible, so why not indulge in some foods that are more or less empty calories.
    I don't care what other people eat, but I do think we would do well by re-framing the good life as something other than eating unhealthy food just because it tastes good.

In my case, I've trained my body to enjoy healthy foods and not unhealthy ones - eating chocolate, candy, and junk isn't an indulgence because I'm more concerned with how what I consume makes me feel, rather than how it tastes. It doesn't take some kind of monastic discipline, it's just how I eat.

But in practice this is the more difficult diet to undertake because the food industry is constantly putting out horribly unhealthy, and addicting food. We have an obesity epidemic because it's a lot easier to grab a Coke and fries, than it is to completely revamp your diet. Honestly, to each their own, people can do whatever they want, but for those who are health conscious it's difficult to live in a society which fetishizes junk food.

I can make a pretty good analogy with alcohol. I also don't drink anymore either, but am likely going to spend the rest of my life having booze pushed on me. Junk food is even more normalized, people can't even comprehend when you say no to ice cream, chocolate, or a donut, or understand when you don't want a pile of greasy, processed meats.