Thread: Boeing Starliner

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

Boeing Starliner

In the news a partial failure of an automated test flight to the ISS. A specific narrow scope instead of the ome design does all of the SST. LEO crew transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CST-100_Starliner

The Boeing CST-100 Starliner (Crew Space Transportation) is a crew capsule under construction by Boeing as its participation in NASA's Commercial Crew Development (CCDev) program. Its primary purpose is to transport crew to the International Space Station (ISS)[5] and to private space stations such as the proposed Bigelow Aerospace Commercial Space Station.[6]
    Starliner is similar in concept to the Orion spacecraft being built for NASA by Lockheed Martin.[7] The capsule has a diameter of 4.56 meters (15.0 ft),[3] which is slightly larger than the Apollo command module and smaller than the Orion capsule.[8] The Starliner is to support larger crews of up to seven people and is being designed to be able to remain on-orbit for up to seven months with reusability of up to ten missions.[9] It is designed to be compatible with four launch vehicles: Atlas V, Delta IV, Falcon 9, and Vulcan.[10]
    In the first phase of its CCDev program NASA awarded Boeing US$18 million in 2010 for preliminary development of the spacecraft.[11] In the second phase Boeing was awarded a $93 million contract in 2011 for further spacecraft development.[12] On August 3, 2012, NASA announced the award of $460 million to Boeing to continue work on the CST-100 under the Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) Program.[13] On September 16, 2014, NASA selected the CST-100, along with SpaceX's Crew Dragon, for the Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) program, with an award of $4.2 billion.[14] On July 30, 2019, NASA had no specific dates for Commercial Crew launches, stating that this was under review pending a leadership change.[15]
    Starliner's uncrewed maiden flight launched with the Atlas V N22,[16] on December 20, 2019 from SLC-41 at Cape Canaveral, Florida. During the test, the Starliner experienced an anomaly that precluded a docking with the International Space Station.[17][18]

Contents

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Going back a couple decades my experience with Boeing, five years, was that their design decisions were zero parts scientific evidence, two parts engineering manuals and one part common sense. Unfortunately common sense is worth about what president Reagan demonstrated when he opined "When you've seen one Redwood you've seen them all."

Example: Boeing asked me to develop a task analysis based on workload estimates from experienced fuel station operators. I did so for both the old and new versions of the air fueling operator systems. It takes a bit of doing to balance tasks for criticality, effort, and difficulty from task analysis descriptions.

Boeing selected a single person who had operated both the old and new protocol standards to perform task workload estimates for two 60-70 process tasks. They chose one experienced pilot. I found he was adequately trained in workload task estimating based on his experience.

He did it three times. Got the same result every time. They told me about their procedure and I withdrew my name from the project. Company tried to sell it to the Australian government anyway. They were told the trials were independent. They almost bought it until they looked at the data and noted only three points of difference among all three trials.

I don't think I need to explain how many arbitrary ethical choices they made to get the data out to the customer.

Hell no. There was no blowback from taking my name off the protocol design. Local management agreed I did the right thing. I was a Senior Principal Scientist with good reputation and about $5 million in annual contract responsibility with only about two years left to retirement. I had no need to try for Staff Scientist at that point.