Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Leftists Do When There Are No Billionaires Left To Tax?

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Warren Buffett wants to pay more tax. He argues that people in his position are not paying their fair share.
    What is stopping Buffet from paying more taxes? The IRS, I am sure, will cheerfully take any donations from him
    How many rich people would routinely donate a sizable percentage of their income to the tax office? I think the game being played is the opposite, it's called 'tax avoidance.'

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not to mention the billionaires have a giving pledge where they pledge to give away half their wealth before they die.

How many leftists are willing to give away half their wealth? Give any leftist a check for a million dollars and see how quickly their tune changes about rich people.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Not to mention the billionaires have a giving pledge where they pledge to give away half their wealth before they die.
    Yeah, right.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Warren Buffett wants to pay more tax. He argues that people in his position are not paying their fair share.
    If you want to get technical, it's the bottom 99% that aren't paying their fair share.

Look up the data and you will shockingly find that the top 1% pays 37% of all the overall taxes.
    Never mind that the top 1% owns or controls most of the world's wealth and resources. Or that Buffett argues that he pays a smaller percentage of his income in tax than some of his employees.
    Everywhere is freaks and hairies
    Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
    Tax the rich, feed the poor
    'Til there are no rich no more?
    I'd love to change the world
    But I don't know what to do
    So I'll leave it up to you.

I find it strange that so many people object to taxing the rich at a higher percentage. If you look at it closely, one will see that we spend a lot of money on the Army, Airforce, Navy, Coast Guard, Police, etc, whose primary function is to protect the property of the citizens from whatever threat might arise. The rich own most of that property and they get the greatest benefit from all that government spending. Why shouldn't they pony up more for it. In addition to that, the government spends a lot of money on education, so rich people can find competent employees, and more to keep poor people pacified, so we don't go crash through the gates and wreck all those rich people's stuff.

If I wanted to buy life insurance, the premium would depend entirely upon how much I wanted to spread around after I'm dead. A $15,000 policy will be a lot cheaper than a $1 million policy. Why? It's the same life and I'm just as dead. It's simple. The more you have at risk, the more it costs.

What's really strange is all these people who feel they have a vested interest in protecting rich people, as if there's some kind of reciprocity at work here. As if I work to keep a billionaire's taxes low, he'll cut me a deal on the rent.

I don't see that happening, but I do see people who are going to die with little more than the equity in a three bedroom house, act as if expecting a billionaire to pay his fair share is like crime against nature.

5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post

Never mind that the top 1% owns or controls most of the world's wealth and resources. Or that Buffett argues that he pays a smaller percentage of his income in tax than some of his employees.

I find it strange that so many people object to taxing the rich at a higher percentage. If you look at it closely, one will see that we spend a lot of money on the Army, Airforce, Navy, Coast Guard, Police, etc, whose primary function is to protect the property of the citizens from whatever threat might arise. The rich own most of that property and they get the greatest benefit from all that government spending. Why shouldn't they pony up more for it. In addition to that, the government spends a lot of money on education, so rich people can find competent employees, and more to keep poor people pacified, so we don't go crash through the gates and wreck all those rich people's stuff.

If I wanted to buy life insurance, the premium would depend entirely upon how much I wanted to spread around after I'm dead. A $15,000 policy will be a lot cheaper than a $1 million policy. Why? It's the same life and I'm just as dead. It's simple. The more you have at risk, the more it costs.

What's really strange is all these people who feel they have a vested interest in protecting rich people, as if there's some kind of reciprocity at work here. As if I work to keep a billionaire's taxes low, he'll cut me a deal on the rent.

I don't see that happening, but I do see people who are going to die with little more than the equity in a three bedroom house, act as if expecting a billionaire to pay his fair share is like crime against nature.
    And, as usual, HL is misreporting statistic. The top 1% pay 37% of individual income tax not 37% of all taxes.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We move on to their companies. (Actually this should be in reverse order)
    I take all knowledge to be my province.
    -Sir Francis Bacon

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post

It is very strange, this defence of the rich on matters of paying their fair share of tax in order to benefit society as a whole, from which they themselves benefit.

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    We move on to their companies. (Actually this should be in reverse order)
    As an aside, I've always found it bizarre when politicians like Warren and Sanders hammer companies for taking tax breaks. Of course they are taking the tax breaks. They have to. If you want to be effective, then hammer the politicians who put them in place in the first place.

Anyway, I'd like to know, what tax breaks for companies are people wanting to be reversed?

9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Yeah, right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge

Please wipe the egg off your face.

Have you also heard of Andrew Carnegie? That's why we have Carnegie Hall and tons of Carnegie museums. But according to leftists, he was an evil greedy man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carnegie
    "During the last 18 years of his life, he gave away $350 million (conservatively $65 billion in 2019 dollars, based on percentage of GDP) to charities, foundations, and universities – almost 90 percent of his fortune.[5] His 1889 article proclaiming "The Gospel of Wealth" called on the rich to use their wealth to improve society, and stimulated a wave of philanthropy. "

What a disturbed and sick disgusting man!

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Citing what may be the exception rather than the rule. More to the point...what percentage of the world's rich give away their fortunes?