Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182

Thread: Free Will And Free Choice

1. Top | #811
    Archived
    Total Posts

"testing, testing...is this thing on? Is this an audience or an oil painting?..."

Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    - bold mine.

I tried once already, by posting a link to Stanford's page on compatibilism, and isolating one teeny tiny bit

(which COULD have been misunderstood or misinterpreted because it was out of context, though [I thought] not purposefully or misleadingly out of context, given that I linked to the text, AND said WHERE on the page the bit I quoted were yanked from [1.3] which I also said was NOT LONG - sigh...)

from the pertinent text.

DBT: AntiChris clearly wrote (right there in the part I quote now, and which I put in bold text in this post, that they were not arguing for compatibilism, but was attempting to offer "critical examination of your anti free will claims".

He was not trying to refute incompatibilism (at least from what I can understand); but attempting to find out what other people in this thread actually know about compatibilism. If I am wrong, AntiChris can tell me, or not. Their choice. In the thread or in private. Matters nothing at all, and is irrelevant to what we are discussing, in any case.

The easiest thing to do would be to begin a thread about compatibilism (in my view). I will if no one else will venture to do it. I will wait a few days. Hopefully @fast; will return, or someone who knows a good deal about it. Maybe @Speakpigeon; ?

Speaky! Where are you? Come in, Speaky!

ETA: D'oh! AntiChris snuck one in whilst I was editinginging.
    Yet no 'critical examination' was ever offered. Repeating 'you don't understand compatibilism' while refusing to explain whenever asked to explain is neither a critical examination or a valid argument. It's nothing.
    Okay - I do see your point, DBT.

AntiChris has not responded to me at all, despite my having defended them, and despite a supportive rep comment. Of course this means nothing regarding the relevance or value of their participation here; but I find it a tiny bit odd. I have not explored the archives yet; but I have no reason to assume AntiChris either has a problem with me or does not have a good grasp of compatibilism.

One more time, for good luck:

@fast; !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @Speakpigeon; !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When one has no character one has to apply a method. - Albert Camus, The Fall

2. Top | #812
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    AntiChris has not responded to me at all, despite my having defended them, and despite a supportive rep comment. Of course this means nothing regarding the relevance or value of their participation here; but I find it a tiny bit odd. I have not explored the archives yet; but I have no reason to assume AntiChris either has a problem with me
    You must have forgotten my original response to you (post #779).

Apologies if I've missed something. Please let me know if I've overlooked a post of yours which required a response from me.

I'm at a loss as to why you might think I might have a problem with you.

I'd be interested to know what you think is the problem with my responses to DBT.