Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to interact with trolls?

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are a couple types of trolls. You have the ones out there just trying to flame (like that one poster at TF) and then there are the ones that are more subtle and are subtly goading and have no real interest in a conversation (like those several other posters at TF). To make matters worse, now we have semi-intelligent bots that just add gasoline to the fire, acting as a feedback loop. The noise becomes too much and everything is lost conversation wise, if there was ever a chance in the first place.

Then you have people that think just having a differing opinion, typically well stated and backed, is trolling because why else would you bother to doubt other people's beliefs. This used to be more of a thing in the golden days of discussion boards between around 2000-ish and 2005-ish, when people swapped around on boards to interact, both to either troll or to provide an honest contrary opinion.

In general, trolls are best off ignored... but some people can't help themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Report trolls to the Mods.
    Don't call ppl here trolls.
    Trolling is in the eye of the beholder. (Very subjectively defined.)

Apart from that, life is short. Stop worrying and start living.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_...d_Start_Living

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    I call that the proverbial 'human condition'. It is not just the atheist Chritian divide.

If you go anywhere on the net or in the real world where you know there is conflict brewing do not be surprised to find conflict.

If I start to het wrapped around the axel I ask myself why am I getting agitated? If I go to a theist site and make posts that are reasonable and get hostility back why should I get upset? I know where I am at and I know where the theists are at. At this point the theist response are all predictable.

This forum going back years was an education in religion for me. As an adulate I knew Christians but generally associated with people grounded in science. There are clearly many Christians who literally think us atheists are agents of satan. I heard it from loud preachers holding meetings in the previous facility I lived in. They think it is their duty to makes us believers.

To me the only way to deal with it is to be self assured and confident in who you are. That goes for any kind of bullying or conflict.

3. Top | #13
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you've identified someone as trolling, don't return the favor. That doesn't mean you have to play the martyr, it just means you don't have to return insult for insult. Best to ignore the attempted insults and only respond to anything intelligent.

It's not going to change the troll's behavior so never get your hope's up. Simply choose to live in a mostly rational world, not a mostly emotional one.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
    Point out your superiority to them.
    - You are polite, they are rude and insulting.
    - You have good points, they only have nothing to add to the topic.
    - You could ignore them. Like in off topic posts.
    - If they say you are one type of person then without acknowledging them, show that you are not that type of person.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    If you've identified someone as trolling, don't return the favor. That doesn't mean you have to play the martyr, it just means you don't have to return insult for insult. Best to ignore the attempted insults and only respond to anything intelligent.

It's not going to change the troll's behavior so never get your hope's up. Simply choose to live in a mostly rational world, not a mostly emotional one.
    Yep, if you identify someone as only posting to create disorder, walk away.

If you can find some fragment of their argument that makes sense and you are able to counter it, do that.

Sometimes easier said than done, unfortunately.
    My Brane Hertz

5. Top | #15
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are lots of dog owners in my neighborhood. Lots of those dogs are friendly, lots of those dogs are unfriendly. Which ones get your attention, and which ones do you avoid?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trolls and the trolled cannot exist without one another.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    There are lots of dog owners in my neighborhood. Lots of those dogs are friendly, lots of those dogs are unfriendly. Which ones get your attention, and which ones do you avoid?
    But we've been posting for nearly a couple decades here. It gets quite easy after a while to know who is who.

8. Top | #18
    How to interact with trolls?
    Don't. Forget about them. Spend the irreplaceable seconds of your life pursuing values instead.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Troll handling presents a real problem for believability and utility of medium. Putting no value on those features of social commerce can be deadly to such. I believe Nazi thugs were the last to actually change society because of lack or response or resolve. IMHO one must put untruth and bullying on consequential notice.

As social beings we have social responsibilities.

Look how we've been dumbing down in response to Trump lying, bullying, and crudity. Don't allow yourself to go numb in the presence of such.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The only effective way to deal with a troll is to not deal with him/her. All a troll wants is a reaction, the more indignant, the better. It's the "If you can't take a joke, we enjoy much more" school of abnormal psychology.

Unfortunately, for every troll there is always one forum member who thinks their witty response will be the one which sends the troll scuttling back under the bridge and the cycle never ends.