Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Is there an afterlife?

  1. Top | #41
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    25,771
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,244
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Rational, accurate, non-threatening conclusion based on everyday, mundane observations with some additional parenthetical commentary.
    I think the source of the issue is "I know there is no afterlife". The more reasonable statement is "There is no reason to believe there is an afterlife.*

    * - it needs to be noted that being expected to disprove a negative is an indication the person demanding as such doesn't understand how this sort of stuff works"

    And honestly, with all the crying and mourning Christians make with for their dead loved ones, we really need to ask just how much do they actually believe in Heaven.

  2. Top | #42
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    5,808
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    10,847
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Rational, accurate, non-threatening conclusion based on everyday, mundane observations with some additional parenthetical commentary.
    I think the source of the issue is "I know there is no afterlife". The more reasonable statement is "There is no reason to believe there is an afterlife.*

    * - it needs to be noted that being expected to disprove a negative is an indication the person demanding as such doesn't understand how this sort of stuff works"

    And honestly, with all the crying and mourning Christians make with for their dead loved ones, we really need to ask just how much do they actually believe in Heaven.
    I understand your point and I'm absolutely certain Lion does as well.

    We say "I know" about a lot of things. Should I say "I think" this is my wife when making introductions? I mean after all she could be a body snatcher, an angel, a demon, a succubus, a ghost, an ET from Proxima Centauri, etc. And that goes for a lot of things.

    It's quite fine to say "I know," when in fact you know. If a religious person is uncertain about one of their dogmatic convictions that doesn't mean we all have to act equally crazy.

  3. Top | #43
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    2,405
    Archived
    7,588
    Total Posts
    9,993
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Rational, accurate, non-threatening conclusion based on everyday, mundane observations with some additional parenthetical commentary.
    I think the source of the issue is "I know there is no afterlife". The more reasonable statement is "There is no reason to believe there is an afterlife.*

    * - it needs to be noted that being expected to disprove a negative is an indication the person demanding as such doesn't understand how this sort of stuff works"

    And honestly, with all the crying and mourning Christians make with for their dead loved ones, we really need to ask just how much do they actually believe in Heaven.
    I disagree, as I know that there is no afterlife (if you'd like to discuss or debate the matter, I already made a case). On the other hand, there is no sufficient reason to believe there is an afterlife (there are some, but far too weak), whereas there are compelling reasons to believe there is not.

  4. Top | #44
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    2,405
    Archived
    7,588
    Total Posts
    9,993
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Atheist - I know there is no afterlife.
    (Reason, logic, everybody knows this is true, it's a brute fact. Atheists really know their stuff.)

    Theist - I know there is an afterlife.
    (Faith head woo, fundy dogma, delusion, wishful thinking, a lie invented to control people, no matter what percentage of the population think this is true - it's still an unsupported claim with zero evidence.)

    If you can't see the level of special pleading which separates this double standard dissonance then you are guilty of gross hypocrisy.
    It is not that there is no evidence for the afterlife. There is but is negligible, whereas the evidence against it is overwhelmingly strong. The fact that most of the population believe in the afterlife is very weak evidence, since the evidence that nearly all of those believers have is that they were told so by their parents when passing on their religion, which is extremely weak, and particularly so given that - as can be established on other, independent grounds - their religion is false even at the level of some core, basic beliefs.

    That said, I have already provided an argument. Do you have a counterargument? Unlike most people, since you're posting here you probably went on to look for some evidence in support of your afterlife beliefs. What is it? How do you come to the assessment that there is an afterlife - and in particular, the version of the Christian afterlife that you believe in?

  5. Top | #45
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Rational, accurate, non-threatening conclusion based on everyday, mundane observations with some additional parenthetical commentary.
    I think the source of the issue is "I know there is no afterlife".

    That's exactly the issue. Thank you.

    The more reasonable statement is "There is no reason to believe there is an afterlife.*
    Fine. I can do non-fundy mode too.
    Here's my more reasonable statement.
    There is no reason to think the afterlife (discarnate consciousness) isn't real.

    * - it needs to be noted that being expected to disprove a negative is an indication the person demanding as such doesn't understand how this sort of stuff works.
    No. The expectation is that you provide evidence to support your claim one way or the other.
    ...at which time fundies, on both sides of the debate, will turn on their CAPS LOCK and shout about what is and isn't evidence.

    If you can't prove a negative then you shouldn't make declarative assertions that there is no afterlife. You should admit that when it comes to the afterlife you are a believer or an agnostic.

    And honestly, with all the crying and mourning Christians make with for their dead loved ones, we really need to ask just how much do they actually believe in Heaven.
    You're at the airport departure gate. Your loved one is going away on a long trip. You're gonna miss them a lot. They won't be there in your daily life.
    That overseas job posting - 3 years, 5 years, 10 years - is gonna feel like forever.
    Final boarding call for all passengers. This is it. Time to say goodbye.
    One final hug before they go.
    So Jimmy Higgins. Are there any tears in your eyes?

  6. Top | #46
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,245
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,221
    Rep Power
    64
    Is there an afterlife?
    Sure. After life there something called death.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 12-31-2019 at 12:17 AM.

  7. Top | #47
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    8,372
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    17,412
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post


    That's exactly the issue. Thank you.

    The more reasonable statement is "There is no reason to believe there is an afterlife.*
    Fine. I can do non-fundy mode too.
    Here's my more reasonable statement.
    There is no reason to think the afterlife (discarnate consciousness) isn't real.

    No, that is not more reasonable. Not even "as" reasonable.
    He provided a long discussion of what evidence would be expected and whether it is seen.

    You?

    Still just bald-faced assertions.

    I asked you in this post to state what evidence you had about an after-life.
    You seem to have decided you don't need to offer any story or explanation of any kind ion how you came to know what the afterlife looks like and how you know it exists.
    Care to try? Here's the requote of the post

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Atheist - I know there is no afterlife.
    (Reason, logic, everybody knows this is true, it's a brute fact. Atheists really know their stuff.)

    Theist - I know there is an afterlife.
    (Faith head woo, fundy dogma, delusion, wishful thinking, a lie invented to control people, no matter what percentage of the population think this is true - it's still an unsupported claim with zero evidence.)

    If you can't see the level of special pleading which separates this double standard dissonance then you are guilty of gross hypocrisy.
    I can see why you would do flips and twists to try to equate the WAY we arrive at an answer as equivalent with the WAY you arrive at an answer. You probably feel that it lends credence and authority to your conclusion.

    But since you are achingly wrong in your equivalence, there is not relevance given to your afterlife claim.

    You can try though. You were presented with strong logical arguments for why a person would conclude there is no afterlife. The WAY an atheist would typically approach this would be to wonder, “if there were afterlife, what would the evidence look like,” and then notice none of that evidence exists.


    So try our logical way of thinking. What does evidence for afterlife look like to you and where have you seen it, Lion?
    I’m all ears, ready to see HOW you arrive at a conclusion.




    * - it needs to be noted that being expected to disprove a negative is an indication the person demanding as such doesn't understand how this sort of stuff works.
    No. The expectation is that you provide evidence to support your claim one way or the other.
    ...at which time fundies, on both sides of the debate, will turn on their CAPS LOCK and shout about what is and isn't evidence.

    If you can't prove a negative then you shouldn't make declarative assertions that there is no afterlife. You should admit that when it comes to the afterlife you are a believer or an agnostic.
    Hed did go through great detail what evidence one should see if this were true and expose that none of that evidence is seen.



    And honestly, with all the crying and mourning Christians make with for their dead loved ones, we really need to ask just how much do they actually believe in Heaven.
    You're at the airport departure gate. Your loved one is going away on a long trip. You're gonna miss them a lot. They won't be there in your daily life.
    That overseas job posting - 3 years, 5 years, 10 years - is gonna feel like forever.
    Final boarding call for all passengers. This is it. Time to say goodbye.
    One final hug before they go.
    So Jimmy Higgins. Are there any tears in your eyes?
    I said goodbye to my son when he left for college. I'm going to miss him a lot, but I know he is going on to something that is so exciting and fun for him that I am not grieving. Yes I'll miss him, but I would not stop him for anything. (3 years later, I'm still fine when he leaves to go back to school.) That is not how christians behave at funerals, like, at all. As you know.

  8. Top | #48
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,617
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Wouldn't it be a lie for an atheist parent to assert that there is no God/afterlife?
    The atheist parent doesn't know this for a fact.

    One thing that IS a fact is the actual historical existence of Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas
    As a physicist I knew put it, the only way to know is to put a bullet in your brain pan. Not that he recommended it.

    Back to the same old thing. The burden of proof is on the theisst. Evidence proffered, subjective experience and old disjointed writings.GS.

    I would raise kids to be skeptical of everything, including science. Always critically evaluate evidence.

    It is not a lie to say to kids there is no objective evidence for an afterlife. Beliefs in a spirit world are common and have been throughout human history.

    What about Buddhist reincarnation?

    The lie would be raising kids to have absolute belief in a god without imparting the ability to objectively questioning it. Brain washing from birth in a sense.

    Beliefs in an afterlife and a heaven serve to lesson the pains of living with a finite life.

  9. Top | #49
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    2,405
    Archived
    7,588
    Total Posts
    9,993
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC
    There is no reason to think the afterlife (discarnate consciousness) isn't real.
    Yes, there is, and a conclusive one at that - as argued above: when the brain is gone, there is nothing of the person left (and some phenomenal consciouness isn't left, either, but even if it were but had nothing to do with a human mind, no memories or capacity to form them, no capacity for language or reason, to feel fear, or pain, or attraction, or anything, it would not be a person in the afterlife. It would be some other entity).

  10. Top | #50
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    18
    This isn't my thread/Op.
    You can debate the topic with your fellow atheists if you like.
    If you want to chat about Hemant Mehta's views about lying to children... about the afterlife, there's a better thread here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •