Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Expanse v Babylon 5

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Harris View Post
    My son has been telling me I need to watch The Expanse, and given the comments in this thread he may be right. I love B5 and DS9 and have them both on dvd, so will I be disappointed in it?

Ruth
    The Expanse is stronger on the sci-fi aspect of things, so it isn't as much fantasy as B5 or DS9. But I'm enjoying the second run through of The Expanse as much as my first. It really is a very solid show.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Harris View Post
    My son has been telling me I need to watch The Expanse, and given the comments in this thread he may be right. I love B5 and DS9 and have them both on dvd, so will I be disappointed in it?

Ruth
    The Expanse is stronger on the sci-fi aspect of things, so it isn't as much fantasy as B5 or DS9. But I'm enjoying the second run through of The Expanse as much as my first. It really is a very solid show.
    Same here. There are aspects of B5 that I like better, but if one likes B5 and DS9, you'll almost certainly enjoy the Expanse.

3. Top | #13
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I remain a big fan of star trek the next generation.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I've been rewatching The Expanse prior to Season 4 and this question came to my mind as rewatching Season 1 was pretty much just as good the second time. When it comes to television, there have been a handful of competent sci-fi/fantasy shows. Star Trek TNG / DS9, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galatica (original / reboot), The Expanse. Yes, there is Firefly, but that was snuffed out.

While I love DS9, I think Babylon 5 is superior, even if the special effects were better (arguably the ship designs were more elaborate in B5), mainly because of the arc. While DS9 was the first ST series to actually have an arc, it wasn't as expansive as B5, a show where the story expands in every episode! We all know how BG ends in the Syfy reboot, which led to criminal convictions (though under appeal at the moment). We can only hope for justice there. Yes, the writers strike was a big issue there.

So that leaves us with The Expanse and Babylon 5, as what I consider the pinnacle of Sci-Fi (The Expanse) and Space Fantasy / Loosely Sci-Fi (Babylon 5). Which is better?

The Expanse trumps Babylon 5 on so many aspects, special effects, sound, advent of 4K, and the science while not perfect, definitely has a much tighter grip on the series. However, the Expanse also benefits from having only 10 or so episodes a season. Like DS9, The Expanse has a budget. If B5 had a similar one, we can only imagine what the final product would have looked like.

The Expanse
    • Tight, though imperfect, adherence with science
    • Well thought out character set up with Mars, Earth, Belt
    • Very tight plot and character exposition slowly leaks out
    • Starts with just a seed, and develops it methodically.

Babylon 5
    • Highly imaginative universe
    • Resolutions always came with well thought out consequences to propel the ploy
    • Special effects not great, but weren't bad for time and ship / alien designs were great. The attention the show gets despite the low budget feel just exposes how great the story had to be.
    • Character development is remarkable!
    • Overall story arc plan which went over 4 successful seasons (could have been 5) was unique and never tried before
    • One of the best villains of all time in Bester

Honestly, it feels like a Lebron James v Michael Jordan argument. Both shows are well put together, produced, and most importantly... know where the heck they are going and how they are going to get there.

Thoughts? Are the The Expanse and Babylon 5 battling it out as the best ever? Is it even a battle?
    I'm a few episodes from the end of The Expanse season 4.

I was also a huge fan of B5...to the point where I plopped down some money to win a charity auction where one of the prizes was a Skype chat with Claudia Christian (who played Susan Ivanova). It was great, by the way. The only part of the show we talked about was the story arc of Londo and G'Kar, and she nailed it when she described it as "Shakespearean." To me, that was the heart of the show, and not the sort of thing you saw explored to that depth in any television of the time let alone science fiction. I still love the show, and think it was the best of it's time.

That said, I think The Expanse narrowly edges it out in a few key categories. In a weird way, the different factions in that show (Inners, Martians, Belters) are more "alien" than the actual aliens in B5. The aliens in B5 (like those in Star Trek) were basically humans in makeup. They were there to reflect aspects of humanity and address contemporary issues from that perspective. The Expanse takes humans off of the home world for a couple centuries and when we meet them they're actually more alien...language and culture vastly different, and in some cases physically unable to survive on humanity's home world.

I like the fact that The Expanse goes far deeper on their characters over the course of the show. Once you peel back a few layers of the onion, you realize that - unlike Babylon 5 - there are precious few "noble" heroes. Almost everyone has a dark past, or they start out idealistic and have that stripped away, or are villains in a way that makes sense.