Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Gervais DESTROYS Hollywood Hypocrital Liberal Elites at Golden Globes!

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    I am curious what leftists think.
    "Leftist" is a reference to political ideology. What has that got to do with a comedian telling jokes? Jokes are either funny or not funny. Some of his jokes were funny. Others not as much.

It has zero to do with my political opinions.

You spew out your idiotic political beliefs all the time here and you're not anywhere near as relevant to society as a celebrity, so congratulations, you just ironically relegated yourself to the lowest level of the shit pile in your glee at watching people superior to you being roasted.
    Here is the difference and I will explain:

This is a political forum. This is for posting political thoughts.

The Golden Globes are an awards show that has nothing to do with politics. However, the celebrities LOVE to give us their 2 cents about politics at a non-political event. THAT is the difference.

I wouldn't care if these celebrities came to this forum to talk politics. We just can't understand why they are always bringing politics into non-political events. That's all. It's preaching, nothing more.

Imagine if a celebrity went up there to accept an award and said, "Here's why everyone should be a Christian" and proceeded to talk about it. I know a lot of you guys would be groaning going, "C'mon! Why are you bringing up religion at a non-religious event? Stop preaching!"

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    I feel like if you actually took what he said to heart, you'd have put this in pop culture or humour, not politics. Gervais is, after all, one of the celebrities he lambasts, no different.

In terms of content? I think he picked a good angle in terms of broad appeal. Maybe the real joke is that he's passing himself off as some sort of people's champion these days. The routine was kind of just what I'd expect from him at this point. Can't fault him for going with what plays well, but it's lost its appeal over the years for me.
    I debated it, but I felt that it's more conservatives praising Gervais and the leftists are hating it. We can see this based on all the reactions and hardly any laughter from all the leftist celebrities in attendance. I've looked up leftist youtube channels but none of them are discussing this yet.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post

He was funny. But, I don't get how some people love criticizing those in power, but when it comes to celebrities, they don't like to criticize them.
    Bullshit. Bonespurs is a celebrity. People have been criticizing him for decades.
    I'd say he's more of a socialite. He hasn't really acted in enough stuff to be considered a celebrity. Most of his stuff was cameos.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts

He was funny. But, I don't get how some people love criticizing those in power, but when it comes to celebrities, they don't like to criticize them.
    Bullshit. Bonespurs is a celebrity. People have been criticizing him for decades.
    I'd say he's more of a socialite. He hasn't really acted in enough stuff to be considered a celebrity. Most of his stuff was cameos.
    Well, first, celebrity != actor. He was in the headlines since long ago.
    Second, have you forgotten his REALITY TV SHOW already?
    Third, even if true, the fact that he got cameos was exactly because he was a celebrity.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Well, first, celebrity != actor. He was in the headlines since long ago.
    Second, have you forgotten his REALITY TV SHOW already?
    Third, even if true, the fact that he got cameos was exactly because he was a celebrity.
    I suppose you're right. He does have a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. Interesting to see how quick the same people who loved him now hate him.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    I am curious what leftists think.
    "Leftist" is a reference to political ideology. What has that got to do with a comedian telling jokes? Jokes are either funny or not funny. Some of his jokes were funny. Others not as much.

It has zero to do with my political opinions.

You spew out your idiotic political beliefs all the time here and you're not anywhere near as relevant to society as a celebrity, so congratulations, you just ironically relegated yourself to the lowest level of the shit pile in your glee at watching people superior to you being roasted.
    Here is the difference and I will explain:

This is a political forum.
    I know. So why are you posting about a comedian in the political forum?

The Golden Globes are an awards show that has nothing to do with politics.
    Who hosts the Golden Globes? We'll wait.

However, the celebrities LOVE to give us their 2 cents about politics
    Some do. Most do not. Regardless, that is their right if they so choose. It's a platform that reaches millions of people across the globe.

THAT is the difference.
    No, THAT is irrelevant. Gervaise is likewise giving HIS political opinions by joking about the others he is roasting. That you can't seem to figure that out is what is so depressing.

We just can't understand why they are always bringing politics into non-political events.
    "We"? To unpack that sophistry will take too much time, so I'll just leave it at, it's a microphone and a platform that reaches millions of people around the world. As a result of that access, many millions of people have likewise heard issues raised that they never knew before and have been positively impacted by the message.

Why do you think every politician--on both sides of the divide--always try to get celebrity endorsements? Trump's ENTIRE candidacy was based on him being a "Reality TV" actor. It sure as shit wasn't based on his being a "businessman" because he's never been one. His FATHER was, but he never was, unless you count ruining literally every business he ever touched as being a businessman.

It's preaching, nothing more.
    So is ANY political speech. That's what makes it "political."

Imagine if a celebrity went up there to accept an award and said, "Here's why everyone should be a Christian" and proceeded to talk about it.
    Nearly every single celebrity that I have ever seen win an award thanks "god" at some point and to date it has never caused me to to be as apoplectic as you are pretending to be for your overlords trying to quell celebrity influence.

Again, look at the glee you are idiotically exuding over a CELEBRITY being political in bashing other celebrities. You are ironically shitting in your own mouth with every post.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No, THAT is irrelevant. Gervaise is likewise giving HIS political opinions by joking about the others he is roasting. That you can't seem to figure that out is what is so depressing.
    Him saying, "Do not make tonight political!" is a pro-political statement?

Next thing you'll tell me is that saying, "Don't make this night about religion!" is a pro-religious statement.

And what about his joke where he said, "I was going to mention a lot of people who died this year but it wasn't diverse enough. It was mostly just white people. And I thought, not on my watch!" That's a direct joke about Hollywood's diversity agenda. One of the best jokes he did.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Him saying, "Do not make tonight political!" is a pro- political statement?
    fify

And what about his joke where he said, "I was going to mention a lot of people who died this year but it wasn't diverse enough. It was mostly just white people. And I thought, not on my watch!" That's a direct joke about Hollywood's diversity agenda.
    And therefore political.

As with so many other concepts, do you just not understand what the word "political" refers to in this context? It's not just "Republicans" or "Democrats."

ETA: Let's end this insipid sophistry in the most simple and direct way. Everything you think was great about his jokes you only think is great because he was being--in your eyes--"anti elite." Because you have evidently been programmed to believe that celebrities are "elite" (which is pathetic on a whole other level that breaks all irony meters) and therefore you think anyone attacking them is funny, you can't understand how that is political to its core.

But, again, just look at any Trump speech. He does the exact same thing, only without the intelligence of Gervais. He makes fun of mentally and physically impaired people; calls Mexicans rapists and murderers; advocates murdering his opponent and tries to pass off his "pussy grabbing" predatory nature as "locker room talk" etc. and pretends that he is not the exact same thing that he lies to you about. He is as "insider" as it could possibly get; as elite as is imaginable in this country. Far from draining any swamp, he has filled it up with the most despicable people imaginable, second only to serial killers.

Have you ever read up on Roy Cohn? Roger Stone? Paul Manafort? These are truly despicable sociopaths who ruined peoples lives for sport ffs and literally could not be more elite or more "establishment" if they tried. It's just that they are the dark side of the establishment lying to you to make you think they are the light.

And you bought it as you laugh at Gervais roasting the people you've loved in movies and TV occasionally saying, "Hey, this horrible thing that's going on that you don't know about? It's really bad and we should take a look at it. Thank you, God. Good night."

That's hilarious to you. Just as Trump doing this is hilarious to you:

Last edited by Koyaanisqatsi; 01-07-2020 at 03:32 AM.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

fify

And what about his joke where he said, "I was going to mention a lot of people who died this year but it wasn't diverse enough. It was mostly just white people. And I thought, not on my watch!" That's a direct joke about Hollywood's diversity agenda.
    And therefore political.

As with so many other concepts, do you just not understand what the word "political" refers to in this context? It's not just "Republicans" or "Democrats."

ETA: Let's end this insipid sophistry in the most simple and direct way. Everything you think was great about his jokes you only think is great because he was being--in your eyes--"anti elite." Because you have evidently been programmed to believe that celebrities are "elite" (which is pathetic on a whole other level that breaks all irony meters) and therefore you think anyone attacking them is funny, you can't understand how that is political to its core.

But, again, just look at any Trump speech. He does the exact same thing, only without the intelligence of Gervais. He makes fun of mentally and physically impaired people; calls Mexicans rapists and murderers; advocates murdering his opponent and tries to pass off his "pussy grabbing" predatory nature as "locker room talk" etc. and pretends that he is not the exact same thing that he lies to you about. He is as "insider" as it could possibly get; as elite as is imaginable in this country. Far from draining any swamp, he has filled it up with the most despicable people imaginable, second only to serial killers.

Have you ever read up on Roy Cohn? Roger Stone? Paul Manafort? These are truly despicable sociopaths who ruined peoples lives for sport ffs and literally could not be more elite or more "establishment" if they tried. It's just that they are the dark side of the establishment lying to you to make you think they are the light.

And you bought it as you laugh at Gervais roasting the people you've loved in movies and TV occasionally saying, "Hey, this horrible thing that's going on that you don't know about? It's really bad and we should take a look at it. Thank you, God. Good night."

That's hilarious to you. Just as Trump doing this is hilarious to you:

I think most of the people hate Hollywood because they cover for perverted pedophiles and are engaged in questionable practices themselves.

One of the comments on that Gervais video was something like, "You don't become an A-lister in Hollywood without someone having some serious dirt on you, most likely pedophilia engagement."

10. Top | #20
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've always liked George Clooney's take on him being the "Hollywood elite".

I grew up in Kentucky. I sold insurance door-to-door. I sold ladies' shoes. I worked at an all-night liquor store.

I would buy suits that were too big and too long and cut the bottom of the pants off to make ties so I'd have a tie to go on job interviews. I grew up understanding what it was like to not have health insurance for eight years. So this idea that I'm somehow the 'Hollywood elite' and this guy who takes a s**t in a gold toilet is somehow the man of the people is laughable.

People in Hollywood, for the most part, are people from the Midwest who moved to Hollywood to have a career. So this idea of 'coastal elites' living in a bubble is ridiculous.

When you direct a film you have seven different unions all wanting different things, you have to find consensus with all of them, and you have to get them moving in the same direction. He's never had to do any of that kind of stuff.

I just look at it and I laugh when I see him say 'Hollywood elite'. Hollywood elite? I don't have a star on Hollywood Boulevard, Donald Trump has a star on Hollywood Boulevard! F**k you!
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.