Thread: Your experiences travelling in Africa

1. Top | #1
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts

Your experiences travelling in Africa

I'm not planning on going to Africa any time soon - for the time being I'm stuck in a cube, and soon will be pretty much tied to Southwestern Ontario. But after reading about the continent for a few years I'm now day-dreaming about escaping my cube and spending some time there. And the best I've got is people describing their experiences on the internet, in books, or in imagery.

So the questions are:
    - have you been?
    - what were your experiences there like?
    - recommendations for countries / regions outside of South Africa?
    - any pictures to share?

Oddly enough I've been to North Africa before, at nine years old on a cruise that stopped in Casablanca, Morocco. The guy next to me is my grandfather / role model.

Dancing with a belly-dancer:

2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been there a long time ago. Lots of poverty, lots of racism.

Kilimanjaro is well worth a climb attempt if you're in decent shape. Despite being the highest mountain in Africa it's simply a hike, no special skills required. Ngorongoro crater is nearby and is well worth seeing, also. (Wildlife, you're not there to see the crater itself.) Victoria falls is impressive, although I have heard that the season matters a lot these days. At this point I consider most of Africa to basically be a no-go zone due to Islamist terrorism.

3. Top | #3
    I've wanted to go and visit Mali for years, but it's not going to happen any time soon owing to current events... I hope no one blows up the Djenne Mosque or the Bandiagara Plateau before I can get there.