Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 442

Thread: Why do people believe in hell?

  1. Top | #271
    Senior Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    658
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    5,544
    Rep Power
    72
    @DBT:
    Yet again there is no evidence you have read any of what I quoted though you still wrote a few sentences about your assumptions.

  2. Top | #272
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,928
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Here you go. Pick a favourite. This is not even close to a complete list:

    https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...in-hell/page25

    (Post # 248. list was so long I put the link above)

    So many...which one do you suggest? Perhaps I or someone can try to defend one of those gods (as "devills" advocate). May have to look up the scripture mind you, if you don't have it. Do you?
    That was a huge list !!!
    So much religion everywhere. Throughout human history. It's almost as if there might be something true about divinity.
    Can you imagine if you were an atheist and had to debunk ALL those religions
    So many gods, so little time. They had better get cracking. That's a huge job.

    Of course, the atheist will argue that so many competing supernatural claims can't all be true.
    ...but the corollary of this is that since there are so many claims they can't ALL be false.

  3. Top | #273
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,578
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Here you go. Pick a favourite. This is not even close to a complete list:

    https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...in-hell/page25

    (Post # 248. list was so long I put the link above)

    So many...which one do you suggest? Perhaps I or someone can try to defend one of those gods (as "devills" advocate). May have to look up the scripture mind you, if you don't have it. Do you?
    That was a huge list !!!
    So much religion everywhere. Throughout human history. It's almost as if there might be something true about divinity.
    Can you imagine if you were an atheist and had to debunk ALL those religions
    So many gods, so little time. They had better get cracking. That's a huge job.

    Of course, the atheist will argue that so many competing supernatural claims can't all be true.
    ...but the corollary of this is that since there are so many claims they can't ALL be false.
    Not out to debunk as you probably infer. All regions and mythologies have common threads with different cultural context and metaphors. The racial features of images of Buddha varies with culture in Asia.

    Hindu culture has beautiful poetic scripture compared to the rag tag bible.

    All religions have outrigger fakery.

    Religion fills a need to have a group identity. Understand one religion and you understand all. The Christian faiths can be extremely visioous in asserting they are the one and only true faith. Not always Hindus tend to be tolerant.

  4. Top | #274
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,287
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Here you go. Pick a favourite. This is not even close to a complete list:

    https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...in-hell/page25

    (Post # 248. list was so long I put the link above)

    So many...which one do you suggest? Perhaps I or someone can try to defend one of those gods (as "devills" advocate). May have to look up the scripture mind you, if you don't have it. Do you?
    That was a huge list !!!
    So much religion everywhere. Throughout human history. It's almost as if there might be something true about divinity.
    Can you imagine if you were an atheist and had to debunk ALL those religions
    So many gods, so little time. They had better get cracking. That's a huge job.

    Of course, the atheist will argue that so many competing supernatural claims can't all be true.
    ...but the corollary of this is that since there are so many claims they can't ALL be false.
    Atheists seem to like huge jobs or was it that Chrsitianity is the biggest job of the lot?

  5. Top | #275
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,287
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Not out to debunk as you probably infer. All regions and mythologies have common threads with different cultural context and metaphors. The racial features of images of Buddha varies with culture in Asia.

    Hindu culture has beautiful poetic scripture compared to the rag tag bible.

    All religions have outrigger fakery.

    Religion fills a need to have a group identity. Understand one religion and you understand all. The Christian faiths can be extremely visioous in asserting they are the one and only true faith. Not always Hindus tend to be tolerant.
    I liked my old group identity. Getting out, sometimes getting drunk with the lads trying to look macho in front of the ladies after a few. Although one good thing now is, I don't try or care anymore, holding in my tummy, when an attractive lady walks by hehe. Not even turn my head around! How plain and boring it is... to be a believer.
    Last edited by Learner; 01-19-2020 at 01:18 AM.

  6. Top | #276
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,578
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Not out to debunk as you probably infer. All regions and mythologies have common threads with different cultural context and metaphors. The racial features of images of Buddha varies with culture in Asia.

    Hindu culture has beautiful poetic scripture compared to the rag tag bible.

    All religions have outrigger fakery.

    Religion fills a need to have a group identity. Understand one religion and you understand all. The Christian faiths can be extremely visioous in asserting they are the one and only true faith. Not always Hindus tend to be tolerant.
    I liked my old group identity. Getting out, sometimes getting drunk with the lads trying to look macho in front of the ladies after a few. Although one good thing now is, I don't try or care anymore, holding in my tummy, when an attractive lady walks by hehe. Not even turn my head around! How plain and boring it is... to be a believer.
    I never said or would say religion has no positive value. in the 70s there was the Divine Light Mission. A bogus operation in the USA by a family from India run by a teen as the head. I knew a woman who swore it turned her life around.

    People swear by Transcended Mediation. The Beatles got hooked into the Maharishi until they realized he was a fraud.

    Your religious experience is not unique. It is biophysical.

    It is not what you believe, it is how you believe it. In modern terms it is about upping serotonin in your brain and endorphins through attitude. That is what gives that feel good religious state. Attitude affects brain chemistry.

    For me I get it from eating right, exercise, and avoiding tobacco, alcohol, and drugs. Grew out of drugs in the 70s and never smoked.. When I pass by alcohol in the store it does not even occur to me to get it. I get that good all over feeling radiating out from my belly. I do not attribute it to a god. Nothing mystical, serotonin and endorphins.

  7. Top | #277
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,240
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,216
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I liked my old group identity. Getting out, sometimes getting drunk with the lads trying to look macho in front of the ladies after a few. Although one good thing now is, I don't try or care anymore, holding in my tummy, when an attractive lady walks by hehe. Not even turn my head around! How plain and boring it is... to be a believer.
    It sounds the same. Only now you have a different group to hang out with, try to look pious in front of them. Rather than a rush at the sight of an attractive lady, now that rush comes at the sight of some religious icon. The "new life" sounds pretty much the same as the old, no more plain or boring.

  8. Top | #278
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,573
    Archived
    3,946
    Total Posts
    5,519
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    That was a huge list !!!
    So much religion everywhere. Throughout human history. It's almost as if there might be something true about divinity.
    Can you imagine if you were an atheist and had to debunk ALL those religions
    So many gods, so little time. They had better get cracking. That's a huge job.
    What's the evidence for any of them? Until you say, my job as an atheist is done.

    So you pick any one of them. But, for now, you and I both do not believe that god.

    Don't say again that you do because you allege they're each a mask of God. If you looked into the details of their religions, you'd be dismayed about the ways they're not Christian. The believers of those other gods might very well have a circle in their hell for you because you believe in Jehovah, so "theism" is not the common denominator that you want it to be.

    To help understand the point, there's a cartoon that makes the point visually. You know the one. The elephant-gropers cartoon, wherein a variety of believers hate each other's beliefs because they each interpret reality differently (and all of them get reality wrong).

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Of course, the atheist will argue that so many competing supernatural claims can't all be true.
    ...but the corollary of this is that since there are so many claims they can't ALL be false.
    It doesn't matter if they cannot all be true; that's not a point anyone needs to make. And of course they can all easily be false.

  9. Top | #279
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,519
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    27,425
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    @DBT:
    Yet again there is no evidence you have read any of what I quoted though you still wrote a few sentences about your assumptions.
    Yet again, not having come down in the last shower I am familiar with the apologetics.....so I am more interested in what you may have to say in your own words, and not just be supplied with reading material with the assumption that this resolves the issue of judgment and punishment or the contradictions it presents.

    If you are unwilling or unable to offer your own explanations or arguments, fine.

  10. Top | #280
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,287
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    I never said or would say religion has no positive value. in the 70s there was the Divine Light Mission. A bogus operation in the USA by a family from India run by a teen as the head. I knew a woman who swore it turned her life around.

    People swear by Transcended Mediation. The Beatles got hooked into the Maharishi until they realized he was a fraud.

    Your religious experience is not unique. It is biophysical.

    It is not what you believe, it is how you believe it. In modern terms it is about upping serotonin in your brain and endorphins through attitude. That is what gives that feel good religious state. Attitude affects brain chemistry.
    Funny enough I sometimes used to sleep lesser than the 8 hours and I suppose .... I lacked the serotonin levels.

    For me I get it from eating right, exercise, and avoiding tobacco, alcohol, and drugs. Grew out of drugs in the 70s and never smoked.. When I pass by alcohol in the store it does not even occur to me to get it. I get that good all over feeling radiating out from my belly. I do not attribute it to a god. Nothing mystical, serotonin and endorphins.
    I wasn't out of shape in my earlier days but I sort of let go for some time. I am much healthier now and have changed my diet. Thank God.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •