Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 699

Thread: Why YEC can seem plausible

  1. Top | #141
    Deleted
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,904
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,610
    Rep Power
    0
    Again: The burden of proof remains with the claimant!

  2. Top | #142
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    78
    Further evidence.....

    https://northernwoodlands.org/outsid...atop_mountains
    there is evidence of long-ago ocean life embedded in the limestone at Everest’s summit: fossils, including those of crinoids, ancient underwater animals with tentacles and cone-shaped shells. These fossils are found at 29,000 feet because the highest point on Earth was once under sea
    https://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/12/u...-from-sea.html
    Scientists have found fossils of whales and other marine animals in mountain sediments in the Andes, indicating that the South American mountain chain rose very rapidly from the sea
    And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystrate_fossil



    BTW I am able to find creationist counter-arguments for just about every objection against the Flood or YEC.... it took a former creationist (Ed Babinski) to deconvert me, then I became an atheist for a long time...

  3. Top | #143
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    78
    Modern YECs can solve the problem about incest.... while allowing Cain to have a wife....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_in_the_Bible
    Leviticus 18:9 says not to have sexual relations with your sister and Cain's wife would be his sister....

    YECs believe that incest was eventually outlawed in Moses' time because it had become a problem. Cain and his sister wouldn't be a problem because their DNA had no mutations. By Moses' time there would be a lot of mutations and incest is a problem because it is more likely that both people would have the same mutations.

    Apparently the "where did Cain get his wife?" question is one of the most common YEC questions and I think it has a very good explanation.... though it is only in modern times that the whole mutation explanation became possible...

  4. Top | #144
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    4
    People where I live are all flocking to see the Noah’s Ark replica in KY and then coming home and going on and on about it. I have to bite my tongue.

  5. Top | #145
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,987
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Modern YECs can solve the problem about incest.... while allowing Cain to have a wife....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_in_the_Bible
    Leviticus 18:9 says not to have sexual relations with your sister and Cain's wife would be his sister....

    YECs believe that incest was eventually outlawed in Moses' time because it had become a problem. Cain and his sister wouldn't be a problem because their DNA had no mutations. By Moses' time there would be a lot of mutations and incest is a problem because it is more likely that both people would have the same mutations.

    Apparently the "where did Cain get his wife?" question is one of the most common YEC questions and I think it has a very good explanation.... though it is only in modern times that the whole mutation explanation became possible...
    But the Bible dosn't say that she was his sister. It's so funny to me. We're suppose to take the bible literally. Despite the fact that there is no outside evidence to consider it as factual. But we're suppose take it word for word. Why? Because the bible says we should take it literally. However, we're suppose to allow outside the bible opinions to solve biblical contradictions. You're trying to have it both ways. If you carefully read Genesis 4, it's clear that there were outside groups of people outside of Cain's family. They had their first child then built a great city. After god got mad at him, he threatened to become a homeless wanderer (because the other tribes in the area had homes) and whoever finds him will kill him (I blame the Chinese who had established cities thousands of years before Cain).

  6. Top | #146
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,498
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,244
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    The young earth creationist has to invoke more miracles than the old earth creationist.
    But both views are still more plausible than the non-theistic alternative.
    What? The Bible doesn't have a creation theory at all. It explains nothing. The Bible contains a metaphorical and fantastical musing upon the creation of the world. It's clearly a work of art. Not science. It's also within the pagan tradition. Loads of these were written and even back then in antiquity they all knew it was complete bollocks. When various authors of creation myths changed details, no religious authority could care less:

    My favourite acknowledgement of this is from Ovid's Metamorphosis.

    Thus when the God, whatever God was he,
    Had form'd the whole, and made the parts agree,
    That no unequal portions might be found,
    He moulded Earth into a spacious round:
    Then with a breath, he gave the winds to blow;
    And bad the congregated waters flow.
    He adds the running springs, and standing lakes
    https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ovid/meta/meta01.htm

    I just love that in the creation myth he adds, some god or another. It's not important which. Which, in a sacred text, is pure genius.

    And thinking that the Bible explains anything about the creation, is IMHO disrespecting the Bible and the Christian God. It's insulting the intelligence of those wise men who wrote it.

  7. Top | #147
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Modern YECs can solve the problem about incest.... while allowing Cain to have a wife....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_in_the_Bible
    Leviticus 18:9 says not to have sexual relations with your sister and Cain's wife would be his sister....

    YECs believe that incest was eventually outlawed in Moses' time because it had become a problem. Cain and his sister wouldn't be a problem because their DNA had no mutations. By Moses' time there would be a lot of mutations and incest is a problem because it is more likely that both people would have the same mutations.

    Apparently the "where did Cain get his wife?" question is one of the most common YEC questions and I think it has a very good explanation.... though it is only in modern times that the whole mutation explanation became possible...
    But the Bible dosn't say that she was his sister. It's so funny to me. We're suppose to take the bible literally. Despite the fact that there is no outside evidence to consider it as factual. But we're suppose take it word for word. Why? Because the bible says we should take it literally. However, we're suppose to allow outside the bible opinions to solve biblical contradictions. You're trying to have it both ways. If you carefully read Genesis 4, it's clear that there were outside groups of people outside of Cain's family. They had their first child then built a great city. After god got mad at him, he threatened to become a homeless wanderer (because the other tribes in the area had homes) and whoever finds him will kill him (I blame the Chinese who had established cities thousands of years before Cain).
    Yeah the theory that in the Bible other people who weren't descendants of Adam and Eve existed makes sense. My point is that the YEC explanation that Cain married his sister is clever - according to genetics there would be no risk of abnormalities at that stage. And their point that incest was only outlawed later on when genetics would become a problem.

  8. Top | #148
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,638
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Again: The burden of proof remains with the claimant!
    So you claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    ...Yeah the theory that in the Bible other people who weren't descendants of Adam and Eve existed makes sense
    @excreationist
    I'm having a mental blank. Which bible verse refers to humans who weren't descended from Adam and Eve?

  9. Top | #149
    Veteran Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    ...Yeah the theory that in the Bible other people who weren't descendants of Adam and Eve existed makes sense
    @excreationist
    I'm having a mental blank. Which bible verse refers to humans who weren't descended from Adam and Eve?
    See post #145...

    Genesis 4:25 talks about what seems to be Adam and Eve's third child, Seth... it says "God has granted me another child in place of Abel"

    But verse 14 says "whoever finds me will kill me". Verse 17 says "....Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city...."

    A city implies a lot of people - and this is before verse 25....

  10. Top | #150
    Veteran Member Lion IRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,638
    Rep Power
    25
    Yes, a lot of people, and yes there's an inference that time has passed but where's the inference that those people weren't descendants of Adam and Eve?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •