Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 129

Thread: Why YEC can seem plausible

  1. Top | #111
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    12,752
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    30,965
    Rep Power
    57
    Why does a three dimensional object need have corners? Seems to me that to have corners two dimensions need be recognized as antecedent to three dimensional existence. We can down scale three to two for processing because we have two eyes and two ears but we reconstruct two to three in the brain for precept of existence within which we navigate.

  2. Top | #112
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,234
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,273
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    I forgot, in the NT it says go out and convert others.
    Which is so weird, because it seems to say, "without any evidence." Turning into a perfect recipe for false beliefs. Errors in conviction, errors in transmission, errors in understanding. And an eternal punishment if you get it wrong.


    It's all so implausible that a god would do that.
    Er, implausible that a benevolent god would do that.
    It might just be a matter of observation. In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there. They're not observing evidence and then coming to a conclusion about what they see. Rather, they are finding reinforcement for their biases because they are unable to put observation before conclusion. It's as good as their brain will ever get on the issue, purely a case of natural selection.

  3. Top | #113
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,576
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    43,076
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there.
    A hot redhead drove me across Charleston to a party one day. We talked the entire way, and i distinctly remembered enjoying the red lights we stopped at, because that meant more time alone with her. I wasn't formally counting the reds, but we hit quite a few. Small yay.
    At the party, she started talking to a friend just inside the door. They were both practicing Positive Visualisation, and my ride was reporting great success.
    Seems she had visualized hitting all green lights on the drive over, the ride we had just taken, "And we hit almost exclusively green lights! Maybe two red!"

    Uh......huh.....

  4. Top | #114
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    6,234
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    11,273
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    In my experience it seems that some people are naturally gifted with good observational skills. A person with an affinity for woo, however, is going to observe what their presumptions and comfort zone want to see, not what is there.
    A hot redhead drove me across Charleston to a party one day. We talked the entire way, and i distinctly remembered enjoying the red lights we stopped at, because that meant more time alone with her. I wasn't formally counting the reds, but we hit quite a few. Small yay.
    At the party, she started talking to a friend just inside the door. They were both practicing Positive Visualisation, and my ride was reporting great success.
    Seems she had visualized hitting all green lights on the drive over, the ride we had just taken, "And we hit almost exclusively green lights! Maybe two red!"

    Uh......huh.....
    We've pretty much all dated and taken a few rides with Amy G. Dala. For the most part I enjoyed the hell out of mine and never let her get me into too much trouble. But the experiences were most pleasant.

  5. Top | #115
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,863
    Rep Power
    15
    For those who lack scince it can seem very logical.

    Man creates things so who made the Earth? A logical question.

  6. Top | #116
    Senior Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    703
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    5,589
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    For those who lack scince it can seem very logical.
    Here they're talking about "science" even if it is misguided...

    https://answersingenesis.org/search/...e=en&q=science
    ".....There are two different kinds of science: observational and historical. Historical science deals with the past and is not directly testable or observable, so it must be interpreted according to your worldview...."

    Man creates things so who made the Earth? A logical question.
    Well if you trust the Bible then it says God did....

  7. Top | #117
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,444
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,500
    Rep Power
    26
    Lacking logical-sense can eroneously produce all sorts of theoretical science beliefs.

  8. Top | #118
    Elder Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    10,168
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    28,074
    Rep Power
    74
    The book of genesis is young earth creationism.

  9. Top | #119
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    18,576
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    43,076
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Lacking logical-sense can eroneously produce all sorts of theoretical science beliefs.
    can you name three examples? Where a hypothesis made it all the way to theory, and you can show the LOGIC errors that indicate it's in error?

    Because i do not think you can. Rather, i suspect that you know of later scientific discoveries that disprove earlier scientific understanding, making some of those beliefs look foolish now, from our perspective, from our understanding.
    I doubt you can show how a contemporary could have used logic at the time, rather than future science.

  10. Top | #120
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,444
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,500
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Lacking logical-sense can eroneously produce all sorts of theoretical science beliefs.
    can you name three examples? Where a hypothesis made it all the way to theory, and you can show the LOGIC errors that indicate it's in error?

    Because i do not think you can. Rather, i suspect that you know of later scientific discoveries that disprove earlier scientific understanding, making some of those beliefs look foolish now, from our perspective, from our understanding.
    I doubt you can show how a contemporary could have used logic at the time, rather than future science.
    I was talking about people who take the mere theory ...a current one (among 10 similar alternative variations) for example, and pretend that it disproves the possibility of there being God. The discussions regarding this ...exists on the forum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •