Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Why YEC can seem plausible

1. Top | #91
    Contributor
    The fact that the Earth was the center of the universe was once plausible. From observation sun, moon, and stars rotated around the Earth.

With telescopes we found that is not true. YEC seemed plausible to ancients without science and technology to know otherwise.

2. Top | #92
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    so, it's NOT automatic that i will change my mind? I still have free will, even if i ask for a miracle and get it? Huh.

Okaynew question, where do you get this idea we CANNOT ask fir a miracle, Learner?
    Sorry, (not doing a good job) I meant we can't be putting God to the test (usually in context to demands by those against or mocking God): Deuteronomy 6:16Luke 4:12 , Matthew 4:6-8.

We can ask for a miracle, sign, message or guidance like helping someone come to God for example.
    So you are saying the god hypothesis is not testable? Of course, that is why it is faith not science. Why try to prove the unprovable to others?

I forgot, in the NT it says go out and convert others.

3. Top | #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    so, it's NOT automatic that i will change my mind? I still have free will, even if i ask for a miracle and get it? Huh.

Okaynew question, where do you get this idea we CANNOT ask fir a miracle, Learner?
    Sorry, (not doing a good job)
    I think you're being quite clear.

I meant we can't be putting God to the test (usually in context to demands by those against or mocking God): Deuteronomy 6:16Luke 4:12 , Matthew 4:6-8.
    Exactly.
    We can TRY put a collar and a leash on God but we won't succeed.
    ...hey God, first you gotta obey me and THEN I'll decide whether or not I'll obey you.

4. Top | #94
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    ...YEC seemed plausible to ancients without science and technology to know otherwise.
    Apparently much of YEC is a fairly modern interpretation of the Bible...

https://www.oldearth.org/tract/tract.htm

5. Top | #95
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The bible gives descriptions that are consistent with flat earth cosmology. Geocentrism is not a new interpretation, nor is young earth creationism. The church never considered the earth to be billions of years old, or that life evolved from microbes to multi-cell organisms.

6. Top | #96
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

I meant we can't be putting God to the test (usually in context to demands by those against or mocking God): Deuteronomy 6:16Luke 4:12 , Matthew 4:6-8.
    Exactly.
    ...hey God, first you gotta obey me and THEN I'll decide whether or not I'll obey you.
    The indisputable creator of the universe... the personal god... but there is no sign of it (real signs)... you can't ask anything of it... when it mattered the most, when we were tearing the Earth apart in WWII, we heard, saw nothing... and if you have a problem with that, you are the one being unreasonable.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to kiss Hank's arse.

7. Top | #97
    Contributor
    I believe YEC started with a pope centuries back who derived a timeline from the bible and decreed how old the Earth is.

8. Top | #98
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

Exactly.
    The indisputable creator of the universe... the personal god... but there is no sign of it (real signs)... you can't ask anything of it... when it mattered the most, when we were tearing the Earth apart in WWII, we heard, saw nothing... and if you have a problem with that, you are the one being unreasonable.
    You (plural) ask these things of a theists but you don't take note of the theology, to at least get the gist of what theists believe to expect (however strange it sounds). From the time of Jesus... to 'the last days' as its known, the inbetween of these points. God doesn't appear again, until Judgement day etc.. Its not Gods world anymore as the biblical notion goes. "There will be wars and rumours of war" for example has always been expected.

May not be what you call a good response, but thats the answer, in short.

Real concerned expressions describing Gods "evil" (evil by their viewpoint) which says man knows better and can do better without God. It seems we needed to be those good-will individuals then, in WWII (before it ever happening)and no doubt we would need to be them now, where that need requires, somewhere in the world. I think we would agree here at least, that 'its up to us' would be ideal, to love our neighbours etc.,if only.
    Last edited by Learner; 02-01-2020 at 07:43 AM.

9. Top | #99
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I believe YEC started with a pope centuries back who derived a timeline from the bible and decreed how old the Earth is.
    Given the knowledge available to him at the time that sounds quite scientific and rational of him. Given the availability of knowledge and science today the question is what makes people still expound such insanity.

10. Top | #100
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    You (plural) ask these things of a theists but you don't take note of the theology...
    I'm not asking for an apple to appear magically in front of me. In fact, if that were to happen, I might be able to believe in that deity, but sure the heck not worshiping it. Make an apple arbitrarily appear, but when millions of people were getting slaughtered mass production style, when we were building bombs with power that was at that point unimaginable within the grasp of man, there was nothing but the same silence that we've seen for millennia.

But Pope John Paul II had miracles to get him canonized, which seemed a bit odd. Oh, when it really mattered... nothing. But when it was someone of a limited convenience, God is noted for the contribution. God got Kurt Warner into the NFL, but could save lives in the death camps.

God loves us, just doesn't care to help us.