Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why YEC can seem plausible

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Why is it being called Young Earth Creationism when it's just Anti-scientific Creationism?
    Secular "science" would have the assumption that God is not involved. Then there is the term Creation "Science".

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I'm not sure in which universe a flat earth would or could be possible. The ancient Greeks worked out the shape of the Earth over two thousand years ago.
    When I was hospital early in 2019 I briefly thought it might be possible within a simulation and it is a test of God's word (the Truth) vs worldly "wisdom". It would also require that NASA is part of a big conspiracy. Anyway now I believe there are no good reasons to believe in the flat earth - unless you believe the Bible is 100% True.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    ......If an organism does not make an accurate observation of it's environment that is different from an organism that makes an accurate observation of its environment...
    I think what is more important is how many indoctrinated children you can have, and if you can wipe out or convert those with other beliefs. This can be related to Islam. Beliefs can have survival value, and aren't necessarily True (like the belief in Heaven and hell). This is about "memes".

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    I'm not sure in which universe a flat earth would or could be possible. The ancient Greeks worked out the shape of the Earth over two thousand years ago.
    When I was hospital early in 2019 I briefly thought it might be possible within a simulation and it is a test of God's word (the Truth) vs worldly "wisdom". It would also require that NASA is part of a big conspiracy. Anyway now I believe there are no good reasons to believe in the flat earth - unless you believe the Bible is 100% True.
    If our universe is a simulation, it has a set of rules upon where the simulation of 'matter/energy' has well defined rules and principles....and it is the principles of mass and gravity that simply do not permit a flat object with the mass of the Earth to form or maintain the shape of a disk. It would quickly collapse into a sphere...unless the very same rules the system operates, gravity, mass, etc, are suspended in this instance. Which creates a whole lot of other problems.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    .....it is the principles of mass and gravity that simply do not permit a flat object with the mass of the Earth to form or maintain the shape of a disk. It would quickly collapse into a sphere...unless the very same rules the system operates, gravity, mass, etc, are suspended in this instance. Which creates a whole lot of other problems.
    Some flat earthers I've come across don't believe in gravity. They believe the reason why objects fall is that the earth is constantly accelerating upwards.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    .....it is the principles of mass and gravity that simply do not permit a flat object with the mass of the Earth to form or maintain the shape of a disk. It would quickly collapse into a sphere...unless the very same rules the system operates, gravity, mass, etc, are suspended in this instance. Which creates a whole lot of other problems.
    Some flat earthers I've come across don't believe in gravity. They believe the reason why objects fall is that the earth is constantly accelerating upwards.
    What they believe is false, orbital mechanics, the sun, moon, other planets, stars, time zones, horizon curvature, etc, etc, falsifies their belief.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What they believe is false, orbital mechanics, the sun, moon, other planets, stars, time zones, horizon curvature, etc, etc, falsifies their belief.
    Yes ultimately it is false - but they have counter-arguments for many of these things.

About orbital mechanics - an alternative is this:

Flat earthers now have explanations for time zones....

About how popular this is starting to become:

"there's no way you can get a spinning heliocentric globe out of anything in the Bible"

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, indeed, a flat earth conference attended to by members from around the globe.

Who, while flying to the conference could have looked out the window of their aircraft and seen the curvature of the earth with their own eyes.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    BTW I found this in a video: Dunning-Kruger Effect (cognitive bias)

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Flat Earth Society members probably believe that the rest of society is suffering from the Dunning-Kruger Effect, that they themselves are immune....being select members of 'in the know' group, and all.