Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing back US industry - Why wouldn't this work?

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Bringing back US industry - Why wouldn't this work?

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/202...na-trade-deal/

Basically PCR suggests the solution is to get rid of the tariffs and tax corporations based on employment. Build everything in the US and corporate tax is low. Build it in China and the tax rate goes way up. A lot way up.

Why wouldnt this work? Someone like Sanders could pick this up and lure a lot of Trump voters to his side. It would be a very populous move in any case. And it might actually succeed bringing back jobs.The

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    it's the same thing as tariff, you just don't call it that way.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How does this deal with low employee businesses? How does it deal with automation?

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    How does this deal with low employee businesses? How does it deal with automation?
    It does not. Whole suggestion is to rename word "tariff" to "tax".
    Last edited by barbos; 01-20-2020 at 10:00 AM.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Wouldn’t that require leaving the WTO?

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

Basically PCR suggests the solution is to get rid of the tariffs and tax corporations based on employment. Build everything in the US and corporate tax is low. Build it in China and the tax rate goes way up. A lot way up.

Why wouldnt this work? Someone like Sanders could pick this up and lure a lot of Trump voters to his side. It would be a very populous move in any case. And it might actually succeed bringing back jobs.The
    You're thread is so American ethnocentric! Why do you assume that everyone wants to only sell in the US? 2/3 of my sales are exports, mostly to Europe. Of course I need some overseas workers. Secondly, there are some components that are not manufactured in the US. There are some raw materials that aren't found in the US. There is some work that Americans don't know how to do. Or there are too few of them trained.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought Trump already brought the jobs back.

8. Top | #8
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post

You're thread is so American ethnocentric! Why do you assume that everyone wants to only sell in the US? 2/3 of my sales are exports, mostly to Europe. Of course I need some overseas workers. Secondly, there are some components that are not manufactured in the US. There are some raw materials that aren't found in the US. There is some work that Americans don't know how to do. Or there are too few of them trained.
    As opposed to your post which is extremely you-centric.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

I'm customer centric. You can't successfully sell to foreigners (with different tastes and customs) and be self centered. I want to build the best product for my customers. But yea, my company would be in a lot of trouble under laws created by Rvose. However, so would many other export minded companies.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

The trouble America has are computers and efficiency. Many people are not working lots of old jobs not because the US isn't producing anything, but because we have streamlined processes with computers, automation, and efficiency. The US produces more than we ever had, and is doing so with a greatly reduced workforce. RVonse's soln just ignores the greatest cause of American manufacturing job losses and wants to pretend that jobs can be manipulated back into the US by ignoring the true causes of the jobs disappearing.

You want more manufacturing jobs in the US, make machines illegal.