Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Heart Breaking Video of Men Doing Ship-Breaking Jobs. What do the Feminists on this board think?

1. Top | #71
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    Has Half explained why feminists need to say anything about the video?

Do I even need to ask?
    It's the same reason that the anti-immigration folks spend all their time protesting outside of farms for their right to pick vegetables.

2. Top | #72
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    So, in essence, men did ask for them.
    Privileges, beings things that relate to groups and individual persons, are not things that necessarily need to be requested and often aren't. For example (again) I did not ask for mine, I was just given them after being born. It's that simple.
    "Let us hope that it is not so. Or if it is, let us pray that the fact does not become generally known."

3. Top | #73
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anybody think to look up the maternal mortality rate for Bangladesh? It's really improving: In 2019 it's only 153 per 100,000 live births. If one includes all births and all maternity related deaths, the rate goes up.

That's significantly more deaths related to giving birth than deaths in the ship breaking industry, as dangerous as that industry is.

4. Top | #74
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Anybody think to look up the maternal mortality rate for Bangladesh? It's really improving: In 2019 it's only 153 per 100,000 live births. If one includes all births and all maternity related deaths, the rate goes up.

That's significantly more deaths related to giving birth than deaths in the ship breaking industry, as dangerous as that industry is.
    At least having a baby is more of a choice (short of rape of course) than taking the only job available to you lest you and your family starve.

5. Top | #75
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

At least having a baby is more of a choice (short of rape of course) than taking the only job available to you lest you and your family starve.
    I rarely have reason to credit you with much of a sense of humor, however macabre. Well done.

6. Top | #76
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    So, in essence, men did ask for them.
    Privileges, beings things that relate to groups and individual persons, are not things that necessarily need to be requested and often aren't. For example (again) I did not ask for mine, I was just given them after being born. It's that simple.
    We agree- your response is simple in that it ignored the main point of my response that your conveniently omitted. Whether you asked for it or not is not relevant - the "social contract" you cite was designed, implemented and maintained by men. Which means that men did in essence ask for it, even if you did not.