Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did your attitude towards life change as you aged?

1. Top | #11
    I'll let you know if I'm ever tempted to age.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    haha I will never forget what an older woman who I worked with, told me when I was 17 and working at my very first job. I was always wishing that my shift would be over, so one day she looked at me and said. "Stop wishing your life away! Before you know it, you'll be as old as I am". Of course at the time, I probably rolled my eyes or ignored her warning, but truer words were never said. Eventually I realized the wisdom of her words. We all get old long much more quickly than we expect.

I also like and remember what my mother once said to me when she was in her late 60s. "When I look in the mirror, I wonder who that little old lady is who is staring back at me".Sometimes people tell me that I look much younger than my years, but my mirror never lies to me.

Denial won't help Poli. You'll be old before you know it. But, it's been the best time of my life so far. I just hope I die before I become dependent on others. Don't we all?

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    haha I will never forget what an older woman who I worked with, told me when I was 17 and working at my very first job. I was always wishing that my shift would be over, so one day she looked at me and said. "Stop wishing your life away! Before you know it, you'll be as old as I am". Of course at the time, I probably rolled my eyes or ignored her warning, but truer words were never said. Eventually I realized the wisdom of her words. We all get old long much more quickly than we expect.

I also like and remember what my mother once said to me when she was in her late 60s. "When I look in the mirror, I wonder who that little old lady is who is staring back at me".Sometimes people tell me that I look much younger than my years, but my mirror never lies to me.

Denial won't help Poli. You'll be old before you know it. But, it's been the best time of my life so far. I just hope I die before I become dependent on others. Don't we all?
    Oh, I was born old. I like shooting the breeze on porches and going to bed at ten as well as the next man. But there's no need to hurry things along.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I get what you're saying Poli. Unfortunately, things seem to rush along much faster than we'd like. It's weird that old age is often the best period of time in our lives, assuming we are fairly healthy and can afford the basics. What I like most about being old, is that I'm not restless anymore, and I have a wonderful sense of freedom that I never had during my working years. I don't speak for all older adults. My ex sister in law isn't happy unless she's traveling the globe. I can't afford to do that, but it wouldn't appeal to me if I could. I'm into staycations, where you stay home and do whatever the you feel like doing.

5. Top | #15
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I tell myself this all the time - enjoy my youth while I can. In some respect I do, it's hard not to appreciate being a young, in-shape, fairly successful professional. And yet most of the time I feel like I'm living in a money obsessed culture with no indication of what the good life really is. All everyone I know, including myself, does is work, talk about work, think about work, and when they're not working they're home resting up for the next time they have to work.

Sometimes it also feels like people here have kind of rationalized friendship and connections too. Once a person serves no purpose they're just kind of cast off. And do absolutely anything out of the ordinary and you're met with suspicion and confusion.

So given the above I would love to enjoy my youth, and certainly there are good aspects, but I can't honestly say that I find my life that enjoyable at this point - wrong time and place.
    Last edited by rousseau; 01-25-2020 at 06:48 PM.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I find that the older I get, the more precious life seems to me. I don’t just mean my own, but everybody’s/everything’s. I feel bad when I accidentally run over a squirrel. I try to avoid crushing insects. I feel bad about killing the rat that got into our kitchen. In some ways I even felt bad for the perpetrators of 9/11 and other mass killers – what a stupid, horrible idea to give your life for!

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    I find that the older I get, the more precious life seems to me. I don’t just mean my own, but everybody’s/everything’s. I feel bad when I accidentally run over a squirrel. I try to avoid crushing insects. I feel bad about killing the rat that got into our kitchen. In some ways I even felt bad for the perpetrators of 9/11 and other mass killers – what a stupid, horrible idea to give your life for!
    I tend to be like that too, but while I feel a little bit bad crushing insects in the house, it doesn't stop me from doing it. I will do whatever I can safely do to avoid killing squirrels, despite the fact that one of the little rodents once bit threw our neutral power line and it wipes out several appliances.

8. Top | #18
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Certainly my best years are behind me in terms of health and the ability to simply pick up new things of interest. The biggest thing that has changed is experiencing the physical decline of aging. For example my right hip is probably the same one my mother had to have replaced. That's a bummer, it means another hiccup, a timeout in the game, something has to be fixed. But for now it is good enough, certainly manageable.

Outside of experiencing those newfound physical limitations I don't detect anything different. I can still do the things I used to do, it only takes longer, and I know that there will come a time when I'll have to decide if living is still worth it given the drop in quality. These are not the things a person thinks about when the're young and vigorous because they simply cannot identify with an arthritic condition that affects everything you do. They don't have the experience.

But then I remember conversations with older persons who recalled that in their youth a person who was fifty was an old man or woman, needed a cane, maybe losing their vision, so I know I have it pretty good compared to a few generations ago, and I'm thankful. I think that it's just that once the end is in sight we tend to become more thoughtful about the quality time we have remaining and don't want to squander it anymore.

Take a walk in a cemetery and see how long people lived. When you see lots of people passing on in their sixties, and you're approaching 70 it gets real. But then you also see gravestones marked "infant son" and that puts things into better perspective. Maybe age really is just a number after all.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When, I was still working in my late 60s, many of my former patients were in their 90s. They used to tell me I was still just a. young thing. When I was 8 years old, I waned to die by age 40 because anything after that was simply too old. It's funny how our perspective on what is old changes as we get older. But hey! 70 is the new 50. . I've had arthritic issues since my late 30s but I've never had as much pain as I do now. Still, I remain able to do aerobics, and work through the pain because I realize how important regular physical exercise is for all of us, especially for older adults.

10. Top | #20
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I know I'm in denial about my fitness level/health but honestly, I have very little pain--except for one ankle that has been sprained a couple of times for certain and twice catching my toe on a stair and continued to go down the stairs--so I bent my foot the wrong direction--hard--twice. That ankle hurts sometimes. Recently, I've started taking glucosamine which seems to be helping or perhaps it's just a placebo effect or even coincidence. Ankle was less troublesome once I quit making my long commute.

I am uncertain if I have little pain for someone my age or if I have a higher than average pain threshold. My mother never seemed to believe that I was capable of feeling pain so I learned to ignore a lot. OTOH, I have learned to be on top of impending migraines.

My biggest health issue is that I really, really, really need to lose weight. Much harder now.