Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nintendo.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's quite possible to be skeptical in general but then just have that process shut down in regards to certain subjects. Some of the best conversations I've had in my life about economic theory were with a guy who was a YEC and didn't let his kids read Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft. In university, one of the top guys in my science class thought that communism was a viable socioeconomic theory.

Everyone has their little blindspots where they don't apply the same level of critical thinking that they do to other areas. It's kind of odd, but not all that uncommon.

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    ... Some of the best conversations I've had in my life about economic theory were with a guy who was a YEC and didn't let his kids read Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft. ...
    It doesn't?

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    ... Some of the best conversations I've had in my life about economic theory were with a guy who was a YEC and didn't let his kids read Harry Potter because it promoted witchcraft. ...
    It doesn't?
    REAL witchcraft. That was his concern. Actual fucking witches.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It doesn't?
    Yeah. A guy who cannibalizes his god every Sunday for the benefits of immortality is worried his kids will read about drinking the blood of unicorns and think the Philosopher's Stone is real.

6. Top | #16
    It doesn't?
    I know a lot of Pagans with a fondness for the series.

7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I was hoping for a theist to talk about why he or she is not skeptical of the biblical creation myth. I suspect it is fearful to even frame the thought of skepticism. To do so brings into question one's entire set of beliefs. It can not be answered without invalidating faith.
    How does a child experience skepticism with regards to Santa?

Adults know Santa isn't real, doesn't bring presents or ride a sleigh and flying reindeer, live at the North Pole, have a workshop with elves. Children hear the same thing but believe it.

Then at some point a child experiences someone telling them that Santa isn't real. How do they experience this, skeptically speaking? What is going on with that child's thinking at this point, what does the child do, how does the child resolve the two conflicting claims?

Flat earthers must be experiencing heaps and heaps of skepticism, as are any number of people who embrace conspiracy theories. What's going on in the head of a person who claims the earth is flat?

8. Top | #18
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Is it possible to be a theist and be skeptical, does skepticism even apply to theists .
    Imo it does, and I’m not sure there’s different types of skepticism. It’s all doubt.

As far as I know, doubt and uncertainty are common features of being a theist. They are common features of being a human as far as I know.

The interesting thing may be what stops doubt developing and becoming stronger. My guess is that there are inhibitors, and for some people those inhibitors are stronger than for some other people, probably for a variety of understandable reasons.

I think we’re (sometimes) talking about perceived vested psychological interests, at least in some cases. I think it’s generally more difficult to change your mind about something if you are heavily invested in it. This seems to be true for anything, religious or otherwise.

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    I answered everything that had a question mark.
    Only just now do you ask...
    [can a Christian be] ...skeptical of the Genesis creation story of God creating the Earth?

If a Christian doesn't believe God created the Earth, I'd like to know who else they think did so.
    Ok, I got it now.

A belief in a few lines of a disjointed inconsistent set of wrings from thousands of years ago saying that some god creatd the Earth and the universe. Any Christian who doubts is suspect as a Christian.

To summarize you are saying you believe without any skepticism a few lines and words written thousands of years ago. One can be skeptical abbout some things but not that. All's you had to do was say so.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is no universal standard of what constitutes a Christian, so the question of "Do Christian believers have skepticism", sounds like you're trying to construct a paradox.

There's no reason a person couldn't believe Jesus Christ is their savior and this belief grants them eternal life in Heaven when they die, and still doubt the narrative given in the Bible, from the Garden of Eden, through the Flood, and all the way to the Resurrection.

If there is an all knowing, all power being who is independent of time and space, why should anyone assume a bunch of humans could hope to comprehend the true nature of such a being. Just being a human being in this situation means that any observation or conclusion is doubtful.