Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are both the left and right terrible at accepting opposing viewpoints?

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
    I agree with OP. As far as the liberal democrats and conservative republicans never being further apart. One way or another we have to make our system work better or we are all going into the night IMO. Especially with the rise of a totalitarianism based society (China) competing with western democracy. Conservatives have it mostly right when it comes to making billionaires and income. But the liberals have it right when it comes to fairness and equality of opportunity.

Neither are both completely rught or wrong. But we sure better figure how to make our system work. We dont have much time either.
    Now only if the GOP were a conservative party.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Russiagate is just Qanon for liberals and you prove it with everything you post
    What, the part about Russians hacking emails, providing them to Wikileaks, which were released periodically to help benefit the Trump campaign such as immediately after the P-Gate story broke... as in the night of?

Or that Trump's campaign conspired with Russia to do all that?
    I simply assumed the PH had no idea what I (or (s)he) was talking about...
    It takes a special kind of stoopid to believe Trump is not a Pootey Pawn at this point.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Russiagate is just Qanon for liberals and you prove it with everything you post
    What, the part about Russians hacking emails, providing them to Wikileaks, which were released periodically to help benefit the Trump campaign such as immediately after the P-Gate story broke... as in the night of?

Or that Trump's campaign conspired with Russia to do all that?
    It takes a special kind of stoopid to believe Trump is not a Pootey Pawn at this point.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

So you are saying that you don't believe that Wikileaks had emails from Democrats and leaked them at particularly odd times that seemed to be aimed at giving cover to the Trump campaign?

Are the rocks where you live big enough for a family of three?

5. Top | #25
    Contributor

"I'm gonna turn every evidence-based claim that Trump colluded with Russia for their mutual political benefit into a strawman that Trump was literally a Russian spy." --- Pyramidhead's guide to intellectual dishonesty: Or, how to attack liberals and promote the left-wing fascism without even trying to reason.

6. Top | #26
    Contributor
    Part of it is the media that now treats politics and the impeachment like a college football game. 24/7 tabloid gossiping on every word creating mere divides. Creating drama on off hand remark.

Members of congress on the right have clearly decided to put reelection and poetical survival above ethics regarding Trump.

Social media.

And last but not least Trump's endless spewing of cancerous conspiracy theories. Constantly stoking division and hatred. If evil exists that would be Trump.

7. Top | #27
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

Just look at his actions. He's taking actions that benefit Moscow but hurt Washington.

I don't think he's a spy, though--saboteur is a much better description. (Although I strongly suspect it's actually a handler near him that is under Moscow's control, he's too erratic to maintain cover.)

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    These days I consider myself a bit of a centrist politically, maybe left of center, but for the most part a centrist. For the most part I hope for the human condition to be improved, but at the same time I recognize that reality is messy, and that achieving this goal is complicated. Where usually those on the right and left present issues like there is only one correct way of looking at things. They believe they are righteous and moral, and the opposing side is always vehemently wrong, without trying to seek common ground and find the most valid argument. But in many political issues there actually are two sides to the story. A few examples:

Women's rights
    Left - We should seek out gender equality. True.
    Right - Sometimes the left's claims are unfounded, and we should be mindful of meritocracy and innate interests. True.

Nationalism
    Left - In good conscience we should help as many people as we can. True.
    Right - We can't help too much or we will suffer ourselves. True.

Political Philosophy
    Left - We should organize our government to help as many people as we can. True.
    Right - If we interfere too much we'll cause more damage than good. True.

You'll notice that right in the center of these issues there's a middle way which recognizes that these issues don't have to be an either/or binary, that both sides can be correct to some extent, and in some ways. And yet when we approach political conversation these issues are always presented as mutually exclusive.

My question is why? Why do most of us seem incapable of accepting viewpoints that fundamentally oppose our own?
    It's going to depend on where you live. As far as the US goes, a large part of the problem is that people think "Democrat" is "left", while "republican" is right. In truth, the dems are fairly centrist, with a few reasonably right or left people, while the GOP is rather close to, say, 2019 UKIP. There's a reason why party leader Donald Trump insists that black and Hispanic people born in the US should "go back to where they came from", why he insisted that Obama wasn't American, and has repeatedly stated that Netanyahu is the Prime minister of Jewish Americans - simply put, he's a white nationalist, and believes that nonwhite people are, by nature, not US citizens.

The US GOP does *not* believe that we should be careful not to interfere "too much" with people's lives - they simply think it should leave white men alone, and interfere with nonwhite people in a violent, and sometimes deadly, manner, mostly through the criminal justice system, via programs like Stop and Frisk. THis is utterly incompatible with a basic respect for the rights of the people being stopped. (For reference, this point is also why black and brown people don't buy their yammering about "freedom" for an instant, regardless of whether on the right or the left - there are far more black conservatives among the dems than among the GOP.)

9. Top | #29
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Stop and Frisk is bad and the polar opposite in cities like San Francisco is also terrible.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Just look at his actions. He's taking actions that benefit Moscow but hurt Washington.

I don't think he's a spy, though--saboteur is a much better description. (Although I strongly suspect it's actually a handler near him that is under Moscow's control, he's too erratic to maintain cover.)
    Which actions?