Results 1,341 to 1,347 of 1347

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

1. Top | #1341
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    So in two years western democracies, including Australia, which continue to trade individual freedom for elder deaths will have herd immunity and broken economies with nothing but millions of deaths to show for it.
    Not including Australia.

Probably including Austria, which is a completely different country.

Don't worry though, when tourism is eventually allowed again, I am sure the souvenir shops in Vienna will still sell toy kangaroos and koalas for the avoidance of arguments with Americans.
    I'm not sure they did previously - though items like this are quite popular: https://aus-oesterreich.at/Souvenirs...oos-in-Austria

2. Top | #1342
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Cool MP talking about Vitamin D deficiency and Covid

3. Top | #1343
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Cool MP talking about Vitamin D deficiency and Covid

In what universe is an MP with an education in economics and a career focus on whining about civil liberties while denying civil liberties to LGBT people someone to take medical advice from?

4. Top | #1344
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jokodo, if you and your elderly relatives are taking Vitamin D why not stop because an idiot homophobe must be wrong about it?

5. Top | #1345
    Contributor
    I have no expertise in this area and am just trying to apply logic to the various info that's been put out. I know they are claiming that he new strain is more easily and quickly spread but no evidence it is more deadly. However, I would guess that the latter is more about there just not being the data needed yet to evaluate it's deadliness. There would be tons of confounding variables that need to be controlled for.

From a purely theoretical standpoint, wouldn't the same mechanisms that make the new strain of COVID spread more quickly and easily also make it lead to more severe symptoms? Severity of symptoms is thought to be tied to initial viral load exposure, due to your immune systems not being able to marshal a response quick enough. It would seem that the reason it would spread more quickly is that less of a viral load is needed to lead to infection. Why wouldn't that same feature mean that you need less of a viral load exposure to have a severe reaction?

What mechanism of ease of spread would not have implications for how easily one can be exposed to a high viral load?
    Last edited by ronburgundy; 01-19-2021 at 06:12 PM.

6. Top | #1346
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jokodo, if you and your elderly relatives are taking Vitamin D why not stop because an idiot homophobe must be wrong about it?
    I'm skeptical about the vitamin D deficiency claims because I've been deficient for years and I haven't even had a cold in over 10 years. I take D supplements now and have been for years. Sometimes my levels are normal but for some reason, I've had a difficult time getting it back to normal for the last two years. I think if D deficiency was related to being prone to viral or bacterial infections, I wouldn't be so healthy. I do have mild osteoporosis, but I have never had a fracture and I do intense exercise everyday to help keep me healthy as well as making sure that I have good balance and am not prone to falls.

The vitamin D panacea has been around for well over a decade, but there's never been much consistent evidence to support some of the claims. Of course, I'm not going to stop taking D because I am so deficient and hate spending time in the sun. I just doubt that D deficiency makes one more prone to COVID or other infectious respiratory diseases. Many if not most older females have D deficiency, probably because we don't spend much time outdoors. I found that to be true of my former patients when I worked in long term care.

I didn't watch the linked video. I hate watching videos, nothing personal. I just prefer to read.

7. Top | #1347
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't know whether he's wrong about it. I don't even know what he says about it. I have better things to do with my times than watching an economist bloviating about medical science.

Obviously you like his political leanings, but that doesn't make him right about a topic he knows nothing about. Sure, it doesn't make him wrong either, but thinking it's relevant what he has to say shows your irrationality.