Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

1. Top | #281
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

It is not a problem with the Chinese, it is a problem with the source of material. The New York Post is a Murdoch newspaper. Any Murdoch newspaper is not a very reliable source.
    While it's the first I heard of a guy busted for selling the animals I have heard of other leaks from biolabs due to atrocious biosafety. Furthermore, there's an extreme culture of get away with whatever you can. While neither proves the alleged crime it's quite consistent with what else we have seen from China.
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.

2. Top | #282
    Contributor
    In the news reports of scams based on the virus. Fake emails appearing to be from the CDC asking to open a link and fill out a profile. Fake cures and preventatives.

A case in Afghanistan of all places. Carried from Iran across the border.

3. Top | #283
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

It is not a problem with the Chinese, it is a problem with the source of material. The New York Post is a Murdoch newspaper. Any Murdoch newspaper is not a very reliable source.
    While it's the first I heard of a guy busted for selling the animals I have heard of other leaks from biolabs due to atrocious biosafety. Furthermore, there's an extreme culture of get away with whatever you can. While neither proves the alleged crime it's quite consistent with what else we have seen from China.
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.
    I am thinking the wet market theory is not inconsistent with the lab error theory. What if a researcher sold animals to the wet market?

4. Top | #284
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am thinking the wet market theory is not inconsistent with the lab error theory. What if a researcher sold animals to the wet market?
    This is a theory your link implied, so yeah, it's possible

Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

Why some people who "recovered" got reinfected again?
    Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.

5. Top | #285
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.
    How so? Do you have details about those recovered and reinfected cases? Off the top of my head this could be cases where it was misdiagnosed the first time, or three second time could be more benign.

6. Top | #286
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post

Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

How so? Do you have details about those recovered and reinfected cases? Off the top of my head this could be cases where it was misdiagnosed the first time, or three second time could be more benign.
    I'd seen something rather alarming about reinfection:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistl...even-deadlier/

But, it seems like mostly rumors.

7. Top | #287
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If people can get reinfected, wouldn't that mean that a vaccine, when one is developed, would be useless?

8. Top | #288
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    If people can get reinfected, wouldn't that mean that a vaccine, when one is developed, would be useless?
    It may be more of a problem to develop a vaccine for this virus than influenza, but even flu shots have limited effectiveness because of the fact that viruses mutate and adapt easily. Sometimes flu vaccines are largely ineffective, because they targetted the wrong strain of flu.

9. Top | #289
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post

Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

I'd seen something rather alarming about reinfection:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistl...even-deadlier/

But, it seems like mostly rumors.
    Rumors, NY Post?! No way!

10. Top | #290
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Korean President is threatening to quarantine the province I live in now. President Moon will "mobilize the military and police to enforce quarantine efforts."

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nat...19_284079.html

My employer still wants me to come in every day even though there isn't any work to do, but there aren't any restaurants open for lunch anymore.