Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 622

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

  1. Top | #281
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    10,356
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    18,403
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

    It is not a problem with the Chinese, it is a problem with the source of material. The New York Post is a Murdoch newspaper. Any Murdoch newspaper is not a very reliable source.
    While it's the first I heard of a guy busted for selling the animals I have heard of other leaks from biolabs due to atrocious biosafety. Furthermore, there's an extreme culture of get away with whatever you can. While neither proves the alleged crime it's quite consistent with what else we have seen from China.
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.

  2. Top | #282
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,769
    Rep Power
    14
    In the news reports of scams based on the virus. Fake emails appearing to be from the CDC asking to open a link and fill out a profile. Fake cures and preventatives.

    A case in Afghanistan of all places. Carried from Iran across the border.

  3. Top | #283
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    26,540
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,292
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

    It is not a problem with the Chinese, it is a problem with the source of material. The New York Post is a Murdoch newspaper. Any Murdoch newspaper is not a very reliable source.
    While it's the first I heard of a guy busted for selling the animals I have heard of other leaks from biolabs due to atrocious biosafety. Furthermore, there's an extreme culture of get away with whatever you can. While neither proves the alleged crime it's quite consistent with what else we have seen from China.
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.
    I am thinking the wet market theory is not inconsistent with the lab error theory. What if a researcher sold animals to the wet market?

  4. Top | #284
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    10,356
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    18,403
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.
    I am thinking the wet market theory is not inconsistent with the lab error theory. What if a researcher sold animals to the wet market?
    This is a theory your link implied, so yeah, it's possible

    Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

    Why some people who "recovered" got reinfected again?
    Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.

  5. Top | #285
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,510
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,799
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Selling lab monkeys for food is not that bigger deal compared to tainted (with poison) baby milk. These guys were executed if I remember correctly. Lab monkeys were probably not even infected with anything dangerous, that's why the guy decided to make some money selling them.
    I am thinking the wet market theory is not inconsistent with the lab error theory. What if a researcher sold animals to the wet market?
    This is a theory your link implied, so yeah, it's possible

    Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

    Why some people who "recovered" got reinfected again?
    Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.
    How so? Do you have details about those recovered and reinfected cases? Off the top of my head this could be cases where it was misdiagnosed the first time, or three second time could be more benign.

  6. Top | #286
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA, California
    Posts
    3,041
    Archived
    5,710
    Total Posts
    8,751
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post

    This is a theory your link implied, so yeah, it's possible

    Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

    Why some people who "recovered" got reinfected again?
    Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.
    How so? Do you have details about those recovered and reinfected cases? Off the top of my head this could be cases where it was misdiagnosed the first time, or three second time could be more benign.
    I'd seen something rather alarming about reinfection:

    https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistl...even-deadlier/

    But, it seems like mostly rumors.

  7. Top | #287
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,370
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,346
    Rep Power
    65
    If people can get reinfected, wouldn't that mean that a vaccine, when one is developed, would be useless?

  8. Top | #288
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,436
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    If people can get reinfected, wouldn't that mean that a vaccine, when one is developed, would be useless?
    It may be more of a problem to develop a vaccine for this virus than influenza, but even flu shots have limited effectiveness because of the fact that viruses mutate and adapt easily. Sometimes flu vaccines are largely ineffective, because they targetted the wrong strain of flu.

  9. Top | #289
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,123
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,596
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post

    This is a theory your link implied, so yeah, it's possible

    Dead 2,701
    Infected 80,153

    Why some people who "recovered" got reinfected again?
    Is this something like herpes when you can't really get rid of it? If so we are so fucked.
    How so? Do you have details about those recovered and reinfected cases? Off the top of my head this could be cases where it was misdiagnosed the first time, or three second time could be more benign.
    I'd seen something rather alarming about reinfection:

    https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistl...even-deadlier/

    But, it seems like mostly rumors.
    Rumors, NY Post?! No way!

  10. Top | #290
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Republic of Korea
    Posts
    1,274
    Archived
    1,216
    Total Posts
    2,490
    Rep Power
    67
    The Korean President is threatening to quarantine the province I live in now. President Moon will "mobilize the military and police to enforce quarantine efforts."

    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nat...19_284079.html

    My employer still wants me to come in every day even though there isn't any work to do, but there aren't any restaurants open for lunch anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •