Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    More and probably way way more will die, so 9 dead is not trivial. Chinese government is fully capable of enforcing all kind of unpopular measures, not immediately but eventually they can reform their meat production practices. They have to. Same goes with other asian countries like Vietnam, etc.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Chinese government says source was wild animals illegal trade on the local market.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You joke about this now, but this could be serious in a few years....

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    death toll is 17

5. Top | #15
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Google turned up one link I find scary: https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-vir...ak-11578485668 (Note: This is not paywalled) There's a level 4 lab in Wuhan. Could this be some sort of lab accident?
    More likely the causality is the reverse: China established a level 4 lab there because that part of China is a common starting point for new zoonotic viruses. Large, dense human populations with considerable exposure to livestock and poultry is pretty much the recipe for new viral infections - and a pretty good description of the large cities in China, such as Wuhan and Guangzhou. It's hardly surprising that these are the places that new diseases often arise, and therefore hardly surprising that the infectious disease labs are in those cities.
    I wouldn't put my lab that close to the likely problem source. If there is a problem you don't want your researchers worrying more about what's outside the lab than what's inside.

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    More and probably way way more will die, so 9 dead is not trivial. Chinese government is fully capable of enforcing all kind of unpopular measures, not immediately but eventually they can reform their meat production practices. They have to. Same goes with other asian countries like Vietnam, etc.
    No. China is not capable of stamping out all the local officials deciding to do things how they want.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I’m glad everyone here is still alive. A miracle really, especially bilby, who lives in hell.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    No. China is not capable of stamping out all the local officials deciding to do things how they want.
    Well I guess the plan is to keep China contained when real shit hits the fan. On a plus sign population problem could solve itself.
    Anyway, I don't think local officials themselves are the problem, it's ordinary people. The ones who try to hold to old ways of doing things - using endangered species as remedies and throwing coins into jet engines kind of superstitious shit.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So far this year, a lot more Americans have died from influenza. Only 800 people worldwide died from SARS, so while it's true that we're all gonna die eventually, I think most of us will still be around for awhile.

10. Top | #20
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts