Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

1. Top | #31
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    They throw them INTO THE ENGINES of the planes they are boarding. To bring good luck!
    Scientific illiteracy knows no bounds.

This may also be why a second confirmed case has been found in the U.S., a person returning from Wuhan. Imagine that!

2. Top | #32
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    25 dead
    >800 infected
    Well, you can't exactly trust the Chinese numbers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...rce=reddit.com
    "Chinese numbers" are more trustworthy than Bezos numbers any day of the week

3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    So far this year, a lot more Americans have died from influenza. Only 800 people worldwide died from SARS, so while it's true that we're all gonna die eventually, I think most of us will still be around for awhile.
    SARS had about a 15% fatality rate. Had the world not stomped on it SARS would have been a major killer. We don't know the fatality rate for Wuhan-Corona isn't known yet but it's obviously appreciable. Wuhan-Corona seems to be capable of airborne transmission, we have no idea what it's R0 is.
    True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic. I think you took my previous post much too seriously.

4. Top | #34
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

So far this year, a lot more Americans have died from influenza. Only 800 people worldwide died from SARS, so while it's true that we're all gonna die eventually, I think most of us will still be around for awhile.
    SARS had about a 15% fatality rate. Had the world not stomped on it SARS would have been a major killer. We don't know the fatality rate for Wuhan-Corona isn't known yet but it's obviously appreciable. Wuhan-Corona seems to be capable of airborne transmission, we have no idea what it's R0 is.
    True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic.
    Huh? Since when was it ever a good time to panic once you knew what is going on?!

Ignorance breeds perfect panicking! It truly has never been a better time to panic. This could be the deadliest, most easy to spread disease since K-Pop!

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    They throw them INTO THE ENGINES of the planes they are boarding. To bring good luck!
    Scientific illiteracy knows no bounds.

This may also be why a second confirmed case has been found in the U.S., a person returning from Wuhan. Imagine that!
    It's astounding. I've never heard of it. Idiots.

6. Top | #36
    Archived
    Total Posts
    While chewing on Siberian tiger testicles.

7. Top | #37
    Archived
    Total Posts
    While chewing on Siberian tiger testicles.
    It must be satire. Nobody is that silly.

8. Top | #38
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    25 dead
    >800 infected
    Well, you can't exactly trust the Chinese numbers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...rce=reddit.com
    I would be shocked if China is reporting cases as being Wuhan-Cov unless it's actually been confirmed that that's what they have. Data points from the field will include a lot more people that haven't been tested yet, some of whom in the end will turn out not to have it. I doubt the numbers will ever catch up to reality, though--what incentive does China have to test the already dead?

That being said, Wuhan and some nearby suburbs are under quarantine and from an admittedly limited view they seem to be canceling New Years celebrations and encouraging everyone to stay home for the holiday.

9. Top | #39
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    It's not the first time superstitious passengers have been caught throwing coins at plane engines.

How in the heck is throwing anything at an engine of an airplane considered a superstition for GOOD luck?!
    I suspect it has nothing to do with the engines, it was just that's what he happened to hit. If coins were thrown at another part of the airplane it would be unlikely to be an issue--I rather suspect they do a bit of a FOD walkdown any time passengers are on the tarmac.

10. Top | #40
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    True, but not everyone dies from this virus and we really don't know enough about it yet to panic. I think you took my previous post much too seriously.
    It's just this looks much worse than SARS, I could easily see it killing more than the flu.

The virus seems to have made it's jump late last year and somehow almost immediately identified as being new. When I learned about the level 4 lab there I was wondering about the possibility it was a lab accident (from a study culture, I don't think China is insane enough to try to weaponize a coronavirus) but the very rapid identification of it as being new makes me wonder a lot more about this possibility. (The data on it's age only says how long ago it was only one particle, what caused that bottleneck is not identified.)