Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

1. Top | #641
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    As of today, NYC's official death toll has surpassed Wuhan's at 2,562 vs. 2,535.

And no, NYC is not bigger, Wuhan is.
    Neither count is at all accurate due to uncounted deaths. New York's are at least 50% of the reported figure, we don't even know for Wuhan.

It's now the #1 killer in the US, though, passing heart disease.

2. Top | #642
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    Keep the Parks Open: Public green spaces are good for the immune system and the mind—and they can be rationed to allow for social distancing. - Zeynep Tufekci -The Atlantic

I concur so hard. It depends on the local circumstances, but around me, the sidewalks are getting too crowded, while the much wider trails and open space parks are closed off. And a park is not as risky as a store, viruses don't spread as easy outdoors than in. Hopefully, we'll get this sorted right.
    I don't know about our parks, we don't have anything impressive in that regard. I know most of our hiking trails are closed because they were too crowded. You're basically limited to off-trail hiking and I'm not exactly inclined to do that solo.

Sure, it's probably safer than the store, but why take a risk you don't have to?

3. Top | #643
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Neither count is at all accurate due to uncounted deaths.
    Wonderful. As we begin to get a grip on what actually happened, the conspiracy nuts will just love tge fact that the numbers will increase AFTER the virus is contained...

4. Top | #644
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wonder how many are infected but experience very mild symptoms which they ignore. Not only spreading the virus but skewing the statistics.

5. Top | #645
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I wonder how many are infected but experience very mild symptoms which they ignore. Not only spreading the virus but skewing the statistics.
    Than is the biggest unknown in this whole thing and why there has to be massive fast results testing everywhere.

6. Top | #646
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looking at the curves for all states, they are all bending toward being flat around the same time =/- 10 days. But testing efforts seem to be tracking where the action is right now. Methinks the curve changes and spread are correlated making results self fulfilling dreams for those who want to say "go back to work."

We could be in deep shit.

7. Top | #647
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    As of today, NYC's official death toll has surpassed Wuhan's at 2,562 vs. 2,535.

And no, NYC is not bigger, Wuhan is.
    Neither count is at all accurate due to uncounted deaths. New York's are at least 50% of the reported figure, we don't even know for Wuhan.

It's now the #1 killer in the US, though, passing heart disease.
    I did write the *official* death toll.

The New York City figure is also inaccurate because I copied the wrong column from the city's data - 2,562 was, at the time of writing, the number of deceased with identified comorbidities. The number of all deceased was at that time over 3200, and as of yesterday 3600.

If you want a dig into the city's raw data: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/....page#download

8. Top | #648
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    All mortality and morbidity figures during pandemics tend to be wrong, for the simple reason that medical staff have more important things to do than their paperwork.

If you want to know how this whole thing unfolded, you will need to read a history of it in a few decades time - and likely the historian will say a lot of things like "although this estimate is still considered to be significantly less than the actual number, due to the failure to record deaths occurring outside a clinical context, and to the large number of sub-clinical cases that never came to official attention".

Only the worst kind of bureaucrat tries to insist on accurate record keeping by medical professionals during a pandemic.

9. Top | #649
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Data from Iceland (2nd highest number of tests per capita of all world countries, behind only the Faroe Islands) suggests 50% of cases may have no symptoms.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/e...ntl/index.html
    "Let us hope that it is not so. Or if it is, let us pray that the fact does not become generally known."

10. Top | #650
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A harrowing article about post-ventilator recovery.

After ICU, Coronavirus Patients' Ordeal Is Far From Over - Wall Street Journal