Thread: CPC Leadership and Social Conservatives

1. Top | #1

CPC Leadership and Social Conservatives

I came across an article today that a number of prominent Conservative Party of Canada members and leadership hopefuls are condemning the homophobic remarks of leadership candidate Richard Décarie.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/con...tion-1.5437302

While I generaly find the CPC depressing, it is interesting to see how their leadership race will shape up. It's possible social conservatism will still be a net positive in their own leadership race (though I'm not entirely confident about that), but will put them at odds with the broader public in the next general election. I'm sure many feel that Scheer's awkward-at-best attitudes toward certain demographics really put him out of touch with modern Canada. While things like LGBT rights may not be a priority voting issue for many, in a campaign where people felt disenchanted with Trudeau and blah about Scheer--the two frontrunners, Scheer's socially conservative values may have been a tipping point for some fence-sitters to ultimately lean away from the CPC.

It's hard to imagine so-called "family values" do much more than pander to their already solidified base who will lack meaningful alternatives in the next general election. Holding onto their historic homophobia seems like it only has the potential to cost them, not make gains.

2. Top | #2
    It may be insignificant in this leadership race anyway. It's possible only Décarie and Sloan will make a point of raising socially conservative stances on issues like same-sex marriage and abortion. Even if that garners some support, I don't know if that means much compared to some of the more notable candidates like MacKay.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6445595/r...pc-leadership/

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Being gay is a choice...

These guys are either in the closet gay/bi or maybe the are sociopaths who think "a hole is a hole" and use people as fleshlights.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Being gay is a choice...

These guys are either in the closet gay/bi or maybe the are sociopaths who think "a hole is a hole" and use people as fleshlights.
    Being gay is a choice? I didn't know that. For my ignorance, could you please provide an unbiased scientific link that supports this assertion? Thanks in advance.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Being gay is a choice...

Being gay is a choice? I didn't know that. For my ignorance, could you please provide an unbiased scientific link that supports this assertion? Thanks in advance.
    I was referring to the article and playing the opinion of the politician. Not my own opinion.

People who say being gay is a choice are probably closeted gay/bi or would be a sociopath able to rape a guy in prison despire being straight because a hole is a hole to them.

Also, I don't like the whole framing of "they are not gay by choice" it still maintains that gay activity between consenting adults is bad and the gays have an excuse for being bad. No excuse is needed because gay activity is not bad.

6. Top | #6
    nm

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Being gay is a choice...

I was referring to the article and playing the opinion of the politician. Not my own opinion.
    Gotcha. I was reading too fast. My apologies...

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    It may be insignificant in this leadership race anyway. It's possible only Décarie and Sloan will make a point of raising socially conservative stances on issues like same-sex marriage and abortion. Even if that garners some support, I don't know if that means much compared to some of the more notable candidates like MacKay.

A socially conservative Francophone from Quebec could likely get enough votes in Quebec to defeat Trudeau in the next federal election. Remember Trudeau actually got fewer votes than Scheer's Conservatives.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post

A socially conservative Francophone from Quebec could likely get enough votes in Quebec to defeat Trudeau in the next federal election. Remember Trudeau actually got fewer votes than Scheer's Conservatives.
    The Conservatives also took one less seat in Quebec in the last election. It's hard to say from previous election results what the next election might bring. We have to wonder how the Bloc will be perceived going forward. For those who place a specific priority on Quebecois interests, is this really enough to turn the tide? Maybe I am out of touch, but Quebec doesn't strike me as strongly socially conservative on most fronts. Bill 62 may not be relevant when we elect our 44th parliament.