Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 34 Soldiers Suffered Traumatic Brain Injury from Iran Attack

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Question 34 Soldiers Suffered Traumatic Brain Injury from Iran Attack

Okay, so no one was hurt in Iraq... but 34 soldiers have sought treatment or monitoring, half of them outside of Iraq, for concussion like issues. Trump has referred to them as "headaches"... and nothing bad like dealing with bonespurs.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    The Pentagon said Friday that 34 U.S. troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries suffered in this month's Iranian missile strike on an Iraqi air base, and that half of the troops have returned to their military duties.

Seventeen of the 34 are still under medical observation, according to Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman.
    This is what is confusing me. "Traumatic brain injuries" sounds worse than a concussion... but maybe it is just a concussion. Is this typical from a blast or did an Iranian shell land very close to where some soldiers were bunkered?

Hoffman said that of the 34 with TBI, 18 were evacuated from Iraq to U.S. medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait, and 16 stayed in Iraq. Seventeen of the 18 evacuees were sent to Germany, and nine remain there; the other eight have been transported to the United States for continued observation or treatment.
    This is the real confusing part. Eight went back to the US... for observation and treatment? Were these guys two days from retirement? Not enough beds in Germany?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Okay, so no one was hurt in Iraq... but 34 soldiers have sought treatment or monitoring, half of them outside of Iraq, for concussion like issues. Trump has referred to them as "headaches"... and nothing bad like dealing with bonespurs.

The Pentagon said Friday that 34 U.S. troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries suffered in this month's Iranian missile strike on an Iraqi air base, and that half of the troops have returned to their military duties.

Seventeen of the 34 are still under medical observation, according to Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman.
    This is what is confusing me. "Traumatic brain injuries" sounds worse than a concussion... but maybe it is just a concussion. Is this typical from a blast or did an Iranian shell land very close to where some soldiers were bunkered?

Hoffman said that of the 34 with TBI, 18 were evacuated from Iraq to U.S. medical facilities in Germany and Kuwait, and 16 stayed in Iraq. Seventeen of the 18 evacuees were sent to Germany, and nine remain there; the other eight have been transported to the United States for continued observation or treatment.
    This is the real confusing part. Eight went back to the US... for observation and treatment? Were these guys two days from retirement? Not enough beds in Germany?
    I don't think you understand the effects of high ordinance exploding nearby.

Concussions, especially those from a hypersonic blast, are devastating. It isn't "oh, someone hit me on the head", it's ""my brain cells were literally in the way of a shock wave that was powerful enough to rip apart a steel she'll like it was tissue paper".

Yes, there's a cube rate falloff of force to distance, but the shape of such a blast wave compresses and subsequently tears at everything it passes through, and there isn't much of anything that can block it out. It's MUCH more violent than getting tackled and concussed in a football game, and even that is no joke. Like being hit by a hammer, but the hammer has the force of a fucking bomb, and is as unavoidable as the air itself. Because it's a fucking bomb.

3. Top | #3
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Can you imagine the outrage if Obama had done this to the soldiers?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

Concussions, especially those from a hypersonic blast, are devastating. It isn't "oh, someone hit me on the head", it's ""my brain cells were literally in the way of a shock wave that was powerful enough to rip apart a steel she'll like it was tissue paper".

Yes, there's a cube rate falloff of force to distance, but the shape of such a blast wave compresses and subsequently tears at everything it passes through, and there isn't much of anything that can block it out. It's MUCH more violent than getting tackled and concussed in a football game, and even that is no joke. Like being hit by a hammer, but the hammer has the force of a fucking bomb, and is as unavoidable as the air itself. Because it's a fucking bomb.
    I’m not familiar with it, hence my confusion, but does this imply a near miss?

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

There is no such thing as a "near miss" if you are within The supersonic blast wave of a high ordinance.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When it comes to death, there probably is.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    ...and then LIED about it???
    Pearl-clutching Republicans would have driven the cost of smelling salts through the roof.

8. Top | #8
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    ...and then LIED about it???
    Pearl-clutching Republicans would have driven the cost of smelling salts through the roof.
    Yup, remember the coffee cup salute?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Yea, there is such a fucking double standard regarding military deaths. How about the Niger ambush that left 4 US troopers dead. Total incompetence. But no one comments. It was far worse that Benghazi.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts

Shock wave video: