Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Categories Of Belief In Deities

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Polytheism is a type of theism. Within theism, it contrasts with monotheism, the belief in a singular God,
    Is that really a difference in the type of belief, though?
    It's definitely a difference in the divine, but the theism is basically the same. The divine has a face (or faces) and personality, interact with our world, and can be influenced to our benefit.
    Seems to me that the 'category of belief' is the same, though the object of that belief is different.

But that's just me, i don't have much experience with monotheists or their religion.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ye gods! What a complicated mess. The ancient Hebrews certainly made religion a lot more simple.
    You (in OP) seem to be attempting to generate and exhaustive list of beliefs regarding deities?
    How about this......

One God,
    many gods,
    or no god/gods

juxtaposed with....
    transcendent versus non-transcendent deities?

Wouldn't that simplify and cover all?

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    or

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Ye gods! What a complicated mess. The ancient Hebrews certainly made religion a lot more simple.
    Is religion losing its biodiversity? Maybe monoculturalism will help it become extinct.
    I was thinking something similar. The problem with Christianity and Islam is monotheism itself. There is no room for diversity.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    You (in OP) seem to be attempting to generate and exhaustive list of beliefs regarding deities?
    How about this......

One God,
    many gods,
    or no god/gods

juxtaposed with....

It is not exhaustive. I believe in a great spirit that lives in the Mt Randier volcano. The source of all life and creator of the universe Disbelievers risk being incinerated in a fiery lava flow

The point is numerous other ideas that are far more beautiful , elegant, and even poetic. Christian monotheism is rather crude and mind numbing.

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Is religion losing its biodiversity? Maybe monoculturalism will help it become extinct.
    I was thinking something similar. The problem with Christianity and Islam is monotheism itself. There is no room for diversity.
    I think monotheism's appeal (to it's authorities and adherents) is precisely that is doesn't allow for diversity. It demands narrow conformity, and thereby grants its authorities maximum control over others while granting it's adherents a simplicity in the power structure that grants a greater sense of clarity and certainty. There is an inherent intolerant authoritarianism to monotheism. I think that certainly is the core to why Abrahamic religions are more problematic, dangerous, and incompatible with a progressive, reason-based, liberty-valuing society. Polytheism can be less authoritarian (in part b/c there is no singular deity in charge). However, the moment that any particular assertions are made about any of the deities, then intolerance for doubters will follow, especially since none of those claims can be backed by reason and their requirement of faith is fertile ground for the emotional coercion that really drives the spread of any faith-based belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank
    Polytheism is a type of theism. Within theism, it contrasts with monotheism, the belief in a singular God,
    Is that really a difference in the type of belief, though?
    It's definitely a difference in the divine, but the theism is basically the same. The divine has a face (or faces) and personality, interact with our world, and can be influenced to our benefit.
    Seems to me that the 'category of belief' is the same, though the object of that belief is different.
    See above. I think the different nature of the presumed God(s) can mean a different underlying psychology that gives rise to and maintains the belief. Not only is monotheism more authoritarian, but it entail ignoring some glaring internal contradictions, such as those epitomized by the problem of evil that polytheism doesn't face b/c there is no single God responsible for all the bad things, including our own bad nature and yet punishes us for that nature. In the face of modern science, all theism requires a high level of self delusional faith and intellectual dishonesty. However, in pre-science ages, I think the nature of belief in some form of polytheism was more honest and rational compared to monotheism which was always clearly contrived for emotional comfort and social control.

7. Top | #17
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Give people enough time, and enough disparate cultures, and religion will fill the mold of metaphysical possibilities re: God. All you need is a prophet or charismatic person to connect a dot, and think their idea is the right one.

8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    China tried to get rid of religion but could not. Eventual they tried to control it by approving churches ad selecting leaders.

Christianity exists in North Korea despite penalties.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    How about this......

One God,
    many gods,
    or no god/gods

juxtaposed with....

It is not exhaustive. I believe in a great spirit that lives in the Mt Randier volcano. The source of all life and creator of the universe Disbelievers risk being incinerated in a fiery lava flow

The point is numerous other ideas that are far more beautiful , elegant, and even poetic. Christian monotheism is rather crude and mind numbing.
    Sorry. I didn't realize you were looking for an emotional discussion.
    Christianity doesn't make you happy.
    Understood.

10. Top | #20
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Monotheism is also super easy compared to polytheism. People are always looking for more bang for the buck. Monotheism delivers, and particularly christian monotheism delivers because you don't have to ante up anything. Salvation is as free as uttering a couple words. The old polytheistic religions had grand rituals and offerings to be made. Christian monotheism was just more economical, more efficient and more rewarding, just plain easier.