Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Categories Of Belief In Deities

1. Top | #21
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

It is not exhaustive. I believe in a great spirit that lives in the Mt Randier volcano. The source of all life and creator of the universe Disbelievers risk being incinerated in a fiery lava flow

The point is numerous other ideas that are far more beautiful , elegant, and even poetic. Christian monotheism is rather crude and mind numbing.
    Sorry. I didn't realize you were looking for an emotional discussion.
    Christianity doesn't make you happy.
    Understood.
    Emotion begets emotion. It is written. Why should Christianity make me happy? I am atheist as such evil incarnate, an agent of Satan. Literally to many Christians. Happy with people who think because of some ancient writings nonbelievers are fundamental bad?

You are either joking or sorely ignorant of the reality of Christianity.

2. Top | #22
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Monotheism is also super easy compared to polytheism. People are always looking for more bang for the buck. Monotheism delivers, and particularly christian monotheism delivers because you don't have to ante up anything. Salvation is as free as uttering a couple words. The old polytheistic religions had grand rituals and offerings to be made. Christian monotheism was just more economical, more efficient and more rewarding, just plain easier.
    Good point. Nothing complicated. Wrote recitation of scripture without understanding.

3. Top | #23
    Ye gods! What a complicated mess. The ancient Hebrews certainly made religion a lot more simple.
    You (in OP) seem to be attempting to generate and exhaustive list of beliefs regarding deities?
    How about this......

One God,
    many gods,
    or no god/gods

juxtaposed with....
    transcendent versus non-transcendent deities?

Wouldn't that simplify and cover all?

It is not exhaustive. I believe in a great spirit that lives in the Mt Randier volcano. The source of all life and creator of the universe Disbelievers risk being incinerated in a fiery lava flow

The point is numerous other ideas that are far more beautiful , elegant, and even poetic. Christian monotheism is rather crude and mind numbing.
    It's the pyroclastic flows you really ought to worry about. Lava, you can run away from.

4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

It's the pyroclastic flows you really ought to worry about. Lava, you can run away from.
    lahar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahar

5. Top | #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

lahar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahar
    Ah, indeed. Built some towns on relict lahar deposits, didn't they?

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Emotion begets emotion. It is written. Why should Christianity make me happy? I am atheist as such evil incarnate, an agent of Satan. Literally to many Christians. Happy with people who think because of some ancient writings nonbelievers are fundamental bad?

You are either joking or sorely ignorant of the reality of Christianity.
    False dilemma… there is obviously this option as well.
    Good point. Nothing complicated. Wrote recitation of scripture without understanding.
    ….you wrote your response to me with emotion to emote to your happiness. Your over simplification regarding good and evil is devoid of understanding of the Christian doctrines regarding good and evil.
    But
    That was not my pursuit here. I was simply trying to simplify your “Categories of Belief in Deities.”
    So this……………
    ….. too vague to even categorize. So please explain how your attempted analogy does not fit into the graphic category chart I gave here…………

7. Top | #27
    Contributor
    False dilemma… there is obviously this option as well.

….you wrote your response to me with emotion to emote to your happiness. Your over simplification regarding good and evil is devoid of understanding of the Christian doctrines regarding good and evil.
    But
    That was not my pursuit here. I was simply trying to simplify your “Categories of Belief in Deities.”
    So this……………
    ….. too vague to even categorize. So please explain how your attempted analogy does not fit into the graphic category chart I gave here…………

When communicating with me keep in mind I am atheist. I have no confusions or logical problems or conundrums. It is theists who have logical issues with claims of proofs.

One point of the thread is the vast diversity in religious thought. In that context Christians are mind numbingly narrow minded. There is only room for their narrow exclusive beliefs. They fight tooth and nail to maintain a self image of superiority and righteousness.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When communicating with me keep in mind I am atheist.
    I understood. And somehow you believe that is not exclusive.
    I have no confusions or logical problems or conundrums.
    Yes you do. The law of the excluded middle doesn't make you happy
    So
    You emotionally call those who reason by it narrow minded.
    It is theists who have logical issues with claims of proofs.
    Who said anything of proofs. Proofs only really exist in math and logic. Sufficient reason rules epistemology for me.
    One point of the thread is the vast diversity in religious thought.
    Obvious.
    In that context Christians are mind numbingly narrow minded.
    Subjective conclusion by an atheist who is unhappy with the law of the excluded middle. You like diversity....fine. I like reason.

Reason through your atheism…… there is no god. Consider the exclusiveness of being an atheist. All other non-atheist worldviews are wrong. Should that be considered narrow minded?

Yes there is a wild variety of worldviews out there, to include atheism. I do not deny that. What I object to is your line of reasoning to compare/contrast/criticize them. It seems purely emotional. Your example here in this thread is that you don't like theism because it isn't as pretty, poetic, or diverse as you like it. And you consider yourself intellectually adequate to criticize it on those emotional standards. It screams pure arrogance.

I choose to compare/contrast/criticize worldviews based upon their ability to match reality. Hence the chart I provided earlier. Reason through the scientific implications of the universe and only theism (IMR) survives rationally.
    But.....
    That reasoning in your mind is narrow minded b/c you like diversity. Truth by its nature is exclusionary. I did not choose to become a Christian because it was pretty. I chose it because to me it reasons through as the best explanation of reality.

Think about it....are you being narrow minded to judge Christianity based only upon diversity?

There is only room for their narrow exclusive beliefs.
    Why should anyone believe in something they have reasoned to be untrue?
    b/c
    It's more poetic? beautiful? diverse?

Again are you asserting atheism isn’t exclusive?

They fight tooth and nail to maintain a self image of superiority and righteousness.
    I have no image of superiority. I have.....what I have reasoned.....to be true and like to defend that reasoning. I don't think I'm superior to you at all. I choose reason you choose emotion. Atheists self-name as the “brights” and defend it. Image of superiority?

9. Top | #29
    Contributor
    Excluded middle? Atheism and theism or existence non existence of god is a bibary. There is n middle. Agnostics construct a middle option of beliefs.

I would call your attacks sophistry. You are using the 'shot gun method'. hooting a spray of small pellet's(arguments) and hoping one hits something. That is actually a method of argument and attack, exemplified by Trump. When in doubt try to put your opponent on his heels by a barrage.

Hardley a false dilemma. Many of us atheists have to deal with the social oppression of American Christians. Evangelicals are numerous enough to have helped Trump get elected. He promised to enact their religious wants. In Africa trhere are very extreme Christians.

Atheism exclusive? You are grasping at straws. Don't have a clue what you are trying to get at.

Again, atheism is a rejection of theist clams and proofs offered for a god. That is it. End of story.

Some atheists make money by pushing atheism with an agenda. Atheism is not exclusionary in general. Most do not care what you believe as long as it does not affect us and is not harmful. Like extreme Muslims.. are. And extreme Christians in Africa.

One can be atheist and believe in alien abductions, ghosts, Big Foot, and the Loch Ness Monster.
    Last edited by steve_bank; 02-01-2020 at 02:37 AM.

10. Top | #30
    Agnosticism is an epistemological position, not a category of belief in deities.