Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Vacation Cruise in Asia during the Wuhan Flu Scare

1. Top | #31
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sounds like you are having fun! What a unique experience.

2. Top | #32
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Sounds like you are having fun! What a unique experience.
    Absolutely. My wife and I are really glad that we decided to go, although we won't be so happy if we do manage to become infected. The risk still seems small relative to all the reaction and panic found in news headlines. Since 16 passengers will get off the ship for a side excursion to Angkor Wat for two days, we will be down to just over 100 paying passengers. Some of us have been calling it a "ghost ship", but it has been a great opportunity to meet the crew and get to know them better than we normally would. One bonus for them is that they get to eat all the gourmet food that we can't consume. Most of the food stock onboard will simply be dumped or given away.

3. Top | #33
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looking for more trip blogging!

4. Top | #34
    My Vacation Cruise in Asia during the Wuhan Flu Scare

Seems like going to have a terrible story to read but i have a worth reading. Be safe have fun, like is precious.

5. Top | #35
    Since the cruise reported on in this thread, my wife and I had not traveled on a cruise ship or attempted to book a cruise until recently. Most cruise lines appear to have survived by offering cruises that subsequently got cancelled. Since customers had to put money down to book a cruise, that money had to be refunded or turned into "future cruise credit" when the cruise got cancelled during the pandemic. So cruise lines were partially surviving on these bookings as a form of interest-free loan.

Now many cruise lines are offering actual cruises again, and we decided to book a cruise from Seattle to Alaska. This was on the Princess Majestic and left for a 7-day cruise (Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan). Although we much prefer smaller ships, we were able to book a fairly inexpensive balcony cabin with a full drink package. Although we had never booked a Princess cruise before, Alaska is one of the routes that they specialize in. We had been to Alaska twice before, so we really didn't plan to get off at the ports. This was just to enjoy the ship and see what they had to offer. Besides, we only had to take an Uber from our house to the ship.

Health safety was a big concern of ours, but all passengers and crew had to be vaccinated and wear masks while inside. I felt safer on the ship than in a local supermarket, where there are always some customers these days who want to pretend that the pandemic is over. On the ship, we only removed masks in our cabin or while eating/drinking. Compliance was nearly perfect among passengers, although most people were lax about social distancing.

The greatest health safety challenge was actually our Uber trip from home to the port. The young driver popped out of his car with his nose hanging over his mask, so my wife asked him to adjust it. After we got in his car and were on the road, he told us that he was unvaccinated and proceeded to harangue us for the entire trip about his reasons for why he felt justified in not getting vaccinated. He said he wanted to hear out side of the story, but he would barely stop talking to let us get a word in edgewise. Naturally, we lodged a complaint with Uber, but I soon learned that both Lyft and Uber have made a conscious decision not to require their drivers to be vaccinated. They apparently do that because drivers are now hard to attract for them, but I suggested they simply let passengers know whether a potential driver was vaccinated. I do not believe that they have any interest in adopting my suggestion. They don't want passengers to shop around for vaccinated drivers. Needless to say, Uber apologized profusely and said that that driver would never be linked to us in the future. On our way back from the port today, our Lyft driver volunteered the information that he was vaccinated, so we felt safer with him.

Alaska cruises are so cheap now, that we have booked another one 12 days from now. This one will be on the comparably-sized Royal Caribbean Ovation. Instead of a balcony, we will be in an inside cabin with a so-called "virtual balcony". That is, there will be a large video screen on one wall that will display a view from a dedicated balcony cabin. So we are curious to see how much it cuts down on the claustrophobic experience of an inside cabin.

6. Top | #36
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I’d like to get to Alaska. I am not a cruise-line person - it just doesn’t match my usual vacation style - but I’ve heard Alaska may be the one time to try it. Sounds like a nice trip you had. Do you expect any opportunity to upgrade your cabin? I hear that happens sometimes.

What makes you want to go again so soon? Is it the atmosphere of the cruise and so a duplicate trip is not really duplicate?

7. Top | #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I’d like to get to Alaska. I am not a cruise-line person - it just doesn’t match my usual vacation style - but I’ve heard Alaska may be the one time to try it. Sounds like a nice trip you had. Do you expect any opportunity to upgrade your cabin? I hear that happens sometimes.

What makes you want to go again so soon? Is it the atmosphere of the cruise and so a duplicate trip is not really duplicate?
    My wife and I love to travel, and we always took land trips until about 8 years ago. Then we took a transatlantic from Florida to Rome, and we enjoyed it a lot more than we expected. The idea of having a floating hotel with all-inclusive meals, free entertainment and activities, interesting destinations, and the opportunity to meet a lot of new people attracted us to continue. Also, we aim to keep our daily cost for the trip down to roughly $100/pp per day, if possible, and that can be substantially cheaper than land trips that we take. So most of our travel is now by cruise ship. Most of the world's greatest cities are located on coasts or within easy access of a coast, since sea ports were so strategically important in the past.

Complimentary cabin upgrades do happen, and we have had some great free upgrades in the past. Nowadays, cruise lines will try to "upsell" customers to a higher grade of cabin before the trip, but they still shift some people around in order to free up cabins that they can sell more easily as embarkation day approaches.

We are traveling back to Alaska in about a week because the price was simply too good to pass up--$289/pp for a 7-day cruise. I'm not a fan of these monster ships, and Royal Caribbean is not my favorite line. But we do have some status on that line from previous cruise trips, and the ship will only be about 60% of capacity. I much prefer smaller ships, but they tend to be more expensive than the monster ships. Besides, I expect that the COVID crisis is going to last for several more years at least, and we're not getting any younger. We're both in our 70s and don't know how much longer we'll be healthy enough to travel. So we'll grab the opportunities as they come.