Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly 200 people have had their guns seized in N.J. under new ‘red flag’ law

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Nearly 200 people have had their guns seized in N.J. under new ‘red flag’ law

Nearly 200 people have had their guns seized in N.J. under new ‘red flag’ law

Nearly 200 people in New Jersey have had their guns seized under a “red flag” law that went effect last year, according to data obtained by NJ Advance Media.

The Extreme Risk Protective Order Act, which went into effect Sept. 1, allows a law enforcement officer, family or household member to submit a petition to state Superior Court showing why a judge should issue an order to keep guns away from someone who potentially poses a danger of causing bodily injury to themselves or to others.

If the judge determines there is “good cause” to remove the guns, the judge will initially issue a temporary extreme risk protection order and a search warrant is executed to recover the guns, ammunition and firearms identification card from the person.

So far, 186 temporary extreme risk protective orders have been granted as of Jan. 22, according to the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts, meaning more than one person a day has had their guns taken away — at least temporarily — in New Jersey since the law went into effect. In 25 cases, a petition was made but the temporary order was denied by a judge, according to court data.

After a temporary order is granted and the firearms are seized, the individual is entitled to a hearing within 10 days in front of the judge before a final order is issued.

If a final order is granted by a judge, it lasts indefinitely, but the person can also seek to have the order terminated at any time after the order goes into effect.

There have been a total of 88 final orders granted since the law went into effect, according to the Administrative Office of the Courts. Judges have denied 29 final orders, according to the courts.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's a start.

Dwight

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They're not actually convicted of anything, yet they are getting their rights violated. That is, around here, a cause for celebration.

Next let's ship them to gulags for daring to own guns.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let's tax people like Jason Harvestdancer to fund adequate mental health care to mitigate against such as Red Flag law need.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    They're not actually convicted of anything, yet they are getting their rights violated.
    what, the right to be part of a well regulated militia?

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They're not actually convicted of anything, yet they are getting their rights violated. That is, around here, a cause for celebration.

Yeah. How many children have had their right to life violated by the gun? Bad guy with gun. Good guy with gun. Child with gun. There's one common factor here. Can you spot it?

When's the last time you read in your local news about a child accidentally shooting himself or a sibling? For me it was today. And before that it was two days ago. I wish all these Second Amendment types would stop leaving their rights laying around where children can access them.
    Dwight

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I can lose my driver's license if the government determines that my vision isn't good enough, even if I haven't had any incidents. The NRA should have been fighting that precedent.

8. Top | #8
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post

I can lose my driver's license if the government determines that my vision isn't good enough, even if I haven't had any incidents. The NRA should have been fighting that precedent.
    All those people who get arrested, handcuffed, put into jail, have to post bail, have to get lawyers, have to get fingerprinted, and they haven't been convicted of anything.

Mercy, but the gulags must be overflowing with people.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts

To be fair, the government doesn't take your drivers licence because they suspect you have bad vision.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts

I can lose my job for legally purchasing and using marijuana in my own home. None of the other three people at this address have that risk, as they don't have a federal security clearance. Odd that the right to even purchase a state-taxed commodity is denied me, but Trump isn't promising to fix this injustice.