Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Free Thinker?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Freethinkers, myself included, should think about this:

We already know that inner body signals, like the heartbeat, affect our mental states, can be used to reduce the perception of pain and are of fundamental importance for bodily self-consciousness.

Thanks to a new discovery, it turns out that these inner body signals do, indeed, affect acts of volition.

Scientists at EPFL in Switzerland have shown that you are more likely to initiate a voluntary decision as you exhale.
    Published in today's (Feb 6/2020) issue of Nature Communications, these findings propose a new angle on an almost 60-year-old neuroscientific debate about free will and the involvement of the human brain.
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...daily-nwletter
    Last edited by 4321lynx; 02-07-2020 at 06:36 PM.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am a freethinker and don't bother trying to talk me out of it.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    I think I am going to become a monk and retreat to a cave in the Himalayas never to have to listen to words again. Blessed silence.
    Last edited by steve_bank; 02-08-2020 at 01:06 AM.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I have sympathy for the basic ideas of free thought as originally espoused, but would not consider myself a "freethinker", as that label has become conflated with religious positions I see no reason to hold, and also because it seems rather insulting in terms of what it implies about the presumed intellect of anyone who is not in the group.
    You do not appear to be able to articulate your beliefs let alone critically evaluate them.

As you yourself said, you have no fixed ideology yet identify as Pagan Christian.
    I don't see what's so confusing about that...

Or why having a "fixed ideology" would somehow make me a freer thinker...
    You have it backwards. Read the links. Free thought is the opposite of a rigid ideology like religion or Chinese communism today. Everything they do is driven by ideology even when it goes very bad, like coronavirus. Protecting the ideology over the lives of citizens. The original Maoism and Soviet communism were far worse. Total collapse sticking to a rigid ideology. While still communist unlike Russia, china managed to modify ideology enough to grow. They allowed a limited form of free enterprise, but are still hindered by rigid government ideology.

Congress continues to pray to god for guidance, it still does not come, and they are still locked in a rigid ideological battle.

It has been said insanity is repeatedly trying the same approach when it continues to fail expecting a different outcome.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I consider myself a free-thinker. I am a strong atheist but still a Hindu following non-dual belief (Advaita). My 'advaita' does not wholly depend on what is generally written in Hindu scriptures or followed by most Hindus (which envisages a Supreme Spirit and souls). I consider Buddha and the first Sankaracharya as my gurus but differ from both of them. Actually, my views are closer to a predecessor of Sankaracharya - Gaudapada. He was a true atheist (Gaudapada - Wikipedia). I did not have to abandon Hinduism because Hinduism accepts reasonable differences of views. So, it is not necessary that a free-thinker should always be without religion. Buddha too was a free-thinker.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    I consider myself a free-thinker. I am a strong atheist but still a Hindu following non-dual belief (Advaita). My 'advaita' does not wholly depend on what is generally written in Hindu scriptures or followed by most Hindus (which envisages a Supreme Spirit and souls). I consider Buddha and the first Sankaracharya as my gurus but differ from both of them. Actually, my views are closer to a predecessor of Sankaracharya - Gaudapada. He was a true atheist (Gaudapada - Wikipedia). I did not have to abandon Hinduism because Hinduism accepts reasonable differences of views. So, it is not necessary that a free-thinker should always be without religion. Buddha too was a free-thinker.
    Whatever floats your boat, but we were talking neurophysiology.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    I am a freethinker and don't bother trying to talk me out of it.

There. Fixed your joke with an Emoji.

8. Top | #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 4321lynx View Post
    Whatever floats your boat, but we were talking neurophysiology.
    Yeah, stop talking about free thought wrong, do it like everyone else does it!

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    I understand the meaning of the symbol in India, do you realize how that will be interpreted on social media over here? A Nazi symbol on a head. Over here that says Neo-Nazi. Skinheads.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Some people insist on being Free Stinkers.