Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric-Car Charging Network Proposed

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Advocates Question AOC and Levin’s ‘EV Freedom Bill’ – Streetsblog USA
    Sustainability advocates were unimpressed by a new proposal by two House Democrats that would a mandate a comprehensive network of electric vehicle charging stations — saying that the so called “EV Freedom Act” would not significantly reduce greenhouse gases and would maintain a car-based transportation system that is killing tens of thousands of Americans annually.
    So it's too carheaded.
    Activists also jumped on Levin’s suggestion that lawmakers “need to be able to ensure that EV drivers can drive all across this country and never worry about being able to recharge their vehicles.”

Really? As Daniel O’Brian tweeted, “We should develop a nationwide network of high-speed RAIL and stop our need for everyone having a car.”
    But high-speed trains are mostly good for relatively populated areas, like big cities, so they have limitations. We are stuck with cars for the less populated areas.

But some activists are more sympathetic.

Doug Gordon on Twitter: "I know activists think this isn't bold enough, but my take is that it's mostly fine. In places where (for now) the only way to get around is via car, make it easy for people to go electric. Cities, however, should be doing everything they can to get rid of cars, EV or otherwise. https://t.co/1EEMlp8MLQ" / Twitter
    noting AOC's tweet on this subject.

2. Top | #22
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This plan is not going to reduce emission by much, ceteris paribus. But ceteris ain't paribus; people are going to be buying electric vehicles regardless. A national charging network is an inducement for people who are waiting until electric is as convenient as gas.

...would maintain a car-based transportation system that is killing tens of thousands of Americans annually.
    Americans would probably give up guns before they give up cars.

Don't get me wrong, though. Mass transit is great. I think everyone except me should use buses and trains.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Charging stations are already very common along the interstates and I don't see why the government has to get involved, especially since it's going to be quite a few years before most people will be able to afford an electric vehicle. I drive a hybrid, plus we don't drive nearly as much as we once did, so we are using very little gas these days.

I didn't read any of the links. Has anyone mentioned that having an EV isn't so great if your power source is coming from coal or oil? If that's already been discussed, just ignore me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judecle.../#170cb19d2a37

But there's much more to the electric car story than what you might be hearing. The anti-fossil-fuel business tends to forget and/or ignore the fact that electric cars are, obviously, just that ... powered by electricity, a secondary energy source that is mostly generated by the combustion of coal and natural gas both here in the U.S. and around the world.
    There are measures to moderate new power needs when adding more electric cars to the grid, such as demand response, but the takeaway is undeniable: Both in the U.S. and around the world, for every 10 times an electric car goes to "power up," it will be depending on coal and natural gas almost 6.5 of those times.

Electrification of the U.S. vehicle fleet is going to increase electricity demand. This is a reminder as we continue to debate the future of existing base-load power. While the U.S. Department of Energy's proposal to reward coal and nuclear plants didn’t pass a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission review, the need for caution over losing existing capacity remains. Once these vital plants are retired, there’s no putting the genie back into the bottle.
    Regardless, I think this is something that the private sector should be able to handle, especially since the private sector is already rapidly installing power stations. Not everything needs to be done by government. But, shouldn't we be more concerned about changing the electric grid over to cleaner sources of power before we go nuts over EV?

4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    Public charging systems is a case of best left to individual states.

There is no national utility. It will not get done at a national level.

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post

Don't get me wrong, though. Mass transit is great. I think everyone except me should use buses and trains.
    Trams, lad, trams
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

6. Top | #26
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post

Trams, lad, trams

I don't think these are practical for mass transit.

7. Top | #27
    Contributor
    Public transportation in the Puget Sound area is reported to be rising. Reporting says Younger people are opting out of caes for a lot of trips. Parking is expensive.

I can not drive anymore. On the buses there is a wide generational mix. People in suits. There is a streetcar line near where I live. I use it to get around between China town and stores on the other end of the lone. During the day usually full during commute times. My senor pass is $36/month unlimited. Don't know what the full pass costs for non seniors.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts

Trams, lad, trams

I don't think these are practical for mass transit.
    Of course not! You need 2 horses pulled that load.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    It would have to overcome fossil fuel, auto industry lobbies.

There are EV unintended consequences. Here in Washington tax revenue from gasoline is declining. Increased fuel efficiency plus electric vehicles.

What is being considered is a mileage based tax to support road infrastructure. Tax EVs. I'd also like to see bike riders taxed it is only fair is it not?
    How would you even implement a mileage based tax? Will there be toll booths every few miles to check your mileage and make you pay for your mileage since the last booth? Seems unworkable.

Why not tax the power being used to charge the battery? This is assuming that the chargers are not free, and one will have to pay for the power coming from the charger. If that is not the case, then why not make that the case, and then add a tax to that? Seems like a fairly straight forward solution if EVs truly are the reason for reduced revenue from gas taxes. This would also give the state incentive for installing their own charging stations, so that they get to take in profit from selling the power to begin with, and gain further revenue from the tax.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Trams, lad, trams
    Mass transit is wonderful unless you live in a city or rural area that has no or very ineffective mass transit. I grew up riding a public bus part way to school, then I walked the other mile. But, the nearest elementary school near me literally has parents lining up to pick up their precious little ones about an hour before school lets out. They don't even trust the school buses anymore, which I partly understand since a lot of them don't even have seat belts.

We have no mass transit here and attempts to get more mass transit have been obstructed. So, unless local and state governments start investing lots of money in mass transit, we're stuck with our cars. And, for long distance travel, cars leave a much smaller carbon footprint than airplanes do.

I think our government needs to try to work towards changing the power grid to more environmentally friendly sources of fuel before we worry about EV charing stations. There are plenty of them on the interstate located in hotel and restaurant parking lots. Plus I've been told that Tesla has installed quite a few as well.