Thread: What would Mao Zedong think about modern China?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top | #8
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Mao's principles were intended for the material conditions in which they were applied, when the peasantry had to be allied with in order to repel foreign invaders and establish a base of production that could meet the demands of China's growing population on its own terms. The China of today is in a different phase of development and is subjected to different conditions, so the tactics must also be different. Mao would not have wanted future leaders to take the same approach as he did simply because he was Mao, just as he didn't take the same approach as other communist leaders simply because they were successful in their own societies. Marxism is an applied science, not a one-size-fits-all rubric for every situation. Nobody was more keen on this than Mao himself, at least in the early years before the Sino-Soviet split.
    How come that the East Bloc of Europe never made that realization? After the West German economy had outperformed the East German economy for decades, why, according to Marxism, was it not time for a change of ways?
    I haven't read much about the GDR, so I can't speak about it with any conviction. But it's facile to simply compare the economies of two places as if those are the only constraints operating on them, and just pick the system that makes the most money. Metrics as vague as "the economy of x outperformed y" are nearly always used to obfuscate the material conditions of people living in those places, what pressures they were subjected to externally and internally, and what they were trying to achieve.
    I always considered that there was a fairly reliable metric for measuring how well a system serves the desires of its citizens. That metric being how much the citizenry wants to leave and the extent the system finds necessary to keep them from leaving. The controlling government in Worker's paradises like East Germany (pre-collapse), North Korea, and Cuba do not allow their citizens to leave except under very controlled conditions. Any citizen attempting to leave otherwise would be killed or imprisoned if caught. So far Venezuela hasn't resorted to such extreme measures to retain its population which has resulted in about 10% if its citizenry fleeing already, and more leaving daily.

Personally, I don't even like to enter any country that requires an exit visa to leave though I have had to go to a few because of my work.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 02-20-2020 at 05:32 PM.