Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philippines ends Military Cooperation Deal with USA

1. Top | #1
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts

Philippines ends Military Cooperation Deal with USA

The Visiting Forces Agreement has been put to an end, to take effect in 180 days. Some Filipinos and the US itself are concerned that this opens the door for Chinese agression in the region. Others feel the Americans were provoking the Chinese and want the Americans out because the Americans (who formerly invaded and occupied the Philippines) are still seen as a threat themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/w...s-duterte.html

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds going forward. Will Duterte abort this move to kick the US out after being given some assurances or a deal is struck? Will China become more aggressive in the region? Will rebel seniment in Mindanao flare back up?

2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think China will get more aggressive.

This is probably a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is already shaping up to be a rough decade for American imperialism, and I love it

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I think China will get more aggressive.

This is probably a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire.
    You mean, Duterte is taking the Chinese money... and those in the US Government have absolutely no brains to try and stop the shift. Granted Duterte is a lunatic himself and there might be no dealings with him.

5. Top | #5
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?

Just imagine if we pulled out of every Middle East country. All hell would break loose over there, even worse than it is now. That's no way to help the people of those nations.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Eh, they know, we know, everyone knows, that the US will come to the aid of the Philippines if the South China Sea gets hot.

7. Top | #7
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?
    Many Filipinos feel that you Americans are more of a threat than a help, and history supports that position. USA invaded and occupied Philippines TWICE in history. How do we get it through your head that Filipinos don't want you putting your military forces in the Philippines? Shouldn't it be the Philippines who decides this?

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is a few years old, but at least in 2017 Filipinos supported US military presence in the Philippines by a large margin:

Since the Philippines gained independence from the U.S. in 1946, the U.S. has maintained some military presence on the islands. And despite vocal protests by some Filipinos, three-quarters say that having U.S. military personnel based in the Philippines is a good thing for the country, while just 20% say it is a bad thing. This view holds across demographic groups, and even among those who hold an unfavorable view of the U.S., a majority (63%) say that having U.S. military personnel based in the Philippines is good for their country.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Many Filipinos feel that you Americans are more of a threat than a help, and history supports that position. USA invaded and occupied Philippines TWICE in history. How do we get it through your head that Filipinos don't want you putting your military forces in the Philippines? Shouldn't it be the Philippines who decides this?
    Please educate me, what was the 2nd time the US invaded the Philippines.

I do agree that the citizens of the Phillippines should decide if they want US forces stationed there. Do you have any actual evidence to support your observation about what the citizens of the Phillippines want? I ask because I happen to know a fair number of Filipinos and while my sample may not be random, every single one of them is in favor of US forces remaining in the Phillippines.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Please educate me, what was the 2nd time the US invaded the Philippines.
    1) Spanish American War
    2) WWII

Yes, there is context to keep in mind.