Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Philippines ends Military Cooperation Deal with USA

  1. Top | #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    10,366
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,810
    Rep Power
    0

    Philippines ends Military Cooperation Deal with USA

    The Visiting Forces Agreement has been put to an end, to take effect in 180 days. Some Filipinos and the US itself are concerned that this opens the door for Chinese agression in the region. Others feel the Americans were provoking the Chinese and want the Americans out because the Americans (who formerly invaded and occupied the Philippines) are still seen as a threat themselves.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/w...s-duterte.html

    It will be interesting to see how this unfolds going forward. Will Duterte abort this move to kick the US out after being given some assurances or a deal is struck? Will China become more aggressive in the region? Will rebel seniment in Mindanao flare back up?

  2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,181
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,933
    Rep Power
    100
    I think China will get more aggressive.

    This is probably a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

  3. Top | #3
    Contributor PyramidHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    5,074
    Archived
    4,389
    Total Posts
    9,463
    Rep Power
    61
    This is already shaping up to be a rough decade for American imperialism, and I love it

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,908
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    69,381
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I think China will get more aggressive.

    This is probably a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire.
    You mean, Duterte is taking the Chinese money... and those in the US Government have absolutely no brains to try and stop the shift. Granted Duterte is a lunatic himself and there might be no dealings with him.

  5. Top | #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,198
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,448
    Rep Power
    0
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?

    Just imagine if we pulled out of every Middle East country. All hell would break loose over there, even worse than it is now. That's no way to help the people of those nations.

  6. Top | #6
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    6,260
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    6,632
    Rep Power
    62
    Eh, they know, we know, everyone knows, that the US will come to the aid of the Philippines if the South China Sea gets hot.

  7. Top | #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    10,366
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,810
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?
    Many Filipinos feel that you Americans are more of a threat than a help, and history supports that position. USA invaded and occupied Philippines TWICE in history. How do we get it through your head that Filipinos don't want you putting your military forces in the Philippines? Shouldn't it be the Philippines who decides this?

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,663
    Archived
    6,261
    Total Posts
    10,924
    Rep Power
    72
    This is a few years old, but at least in 2017 Filipinos supported US military presence in the Philippines by a large margin:

    Since the Philippines gained independence from the U.S. in 1946, the U.S. has maintained some military presence on the islands. And despite vocal protests by some Filipinos, three-quarters say that having U.S. military personnel based in the Philippines is a good thing for the country, while just 20% say it is a bad thing. This view holds across demographic groups, and even among those who hold an unfavorable view of the U.S., a majority (63%) say that having U.S. military personnel based in the Philippines is good for their country.

  9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,557
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    58,500
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?
    Many Filipinos feel that you Americans are more of a threat than a help, and history supports that position. USA invaded and occupied Philippines TWICE in history. How do we get it through your head that Filipinos don't want you putting your military forces in the Philippines? Shouldn't it be the Philippines who decides this?
    Please educate me, what was the 2nd time the US invaded the Philippines.

    I do agree that the citizens of the Phillippines should decide if they want US forces stationed there. Do you have any actual evidence to support your observation about what the citizens of the Phillippines want? I ask because I happen to know a fair number of Filipinos and while my sample may not be random, every single one of them is in favor of US forces remaining in the Phillippines.

  10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,908
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    69,381
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    This is why we on the right advocate for military presence. If we pulled out of all these countries, how long before they all get attacked and destroyed?
    Many Filipinos feel that you Americans are more of a threat than a help, and history supports that position. USA invaded and occupied Philippines TWICE in history. How do we get it through your head that Filipinos don't want you putting your military forces in the Philippines? Shouldn't it be the Philippines who decides this?
    Please educate me, what was the 2nd time the US invaded the Philippines.
    1) Spanish American War
    2) WWII

    Yes, there is context to keep in mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •