Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Philippines ends Military Cooperation Deal with USA

  1. Top | #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    10,366
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    13,810
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    It isn't like Filipinos like the Chinese anymore than they like Americans (not at all).
    Does not seem to be true:

    The United States was consistently ranked as one of the Philippines' favorite nations in the world, with 90% of Filipinos viewing the U.S. and 91% viewing Americans favorably in 2002, 90% of Filipinos viewing U.S. influence positively in 2011, 85% of Filipinos viewing the U.S. and Americans favorably in 2013, and 92% of Filipinos viewing the U.S. favorably in 2015, and 94% having confidence in former United States president Barack Obama, making the Philippines the most pro-American country in the world.
    You need to understand that Filipino culture will prompt everyone to answer positively towards anyone. It is a nation of people who like to please others. Its also a nation of people who export their labour and want to be thought well of. But talk to these same people without outsiders around and ask what they really think. You would be surprised.

    "Hey Joe" (they call all Americans "Joe") they will say to the American as he walks by, and as soon as he is gone its the rolling of eyes and shaking of heads.

  2. Top | #42
    Elder Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,403
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,109
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post

    Human rights? Drug pushers shouldn't have human rights, for they care little about the human rights of the drug lords victims.
    Me thinks you do protest too much, you're trying to conceal your true identity. You're a drug pusher. Since you have no rights you have no right to defend yourself from this charge, an accusation is enough. <Bang!>
    If proven guilty beyond any doubt................bang! That also goes for child rapists, serial killers and terrorists.

  3. Top | #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    454
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,979
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    You need to understand that Filipino culture will prompt everyone to answer positively towards anyone. It is a nation of people who like to please others. Its also a nation of people who export their labour and want to be thought well of. But talk to these same people without outsiders around and ask what they really think. You would be surprised.

    "Hey Joe" (they call all Americans "Joe") they will say to the American as he walks by, and as soon as he is gone its the rolling of eyes and shaking of heads.
    I'm not sure if I consider this a reasonable explanation. It is one thing to be polite and friendly by culture, quite another thing to pretending to like a foreign (powerful) country.

    They do seem to be less positive about China (not a perfect comparison measure, I agree), for example:

    However, the average trust view of Filipinos towards China is negative 33, dipping much lower in certain provinces such as Zambales and Palawan where it is at least negative 45. In contrast, the average trust view towards the United States is positive 66.

  4. Top | #44
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,134
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,886
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post

    Human rights? Drug pushers shouldn't have human rights, for they care little about the human rights of the drug lords victims.
    Me thinks you do protest too much, you're trying to conceal your true identity. You're a drug pusher. Since you have no rights you have no right to defend yourself from this charge, an accusation is enough. <Bang!>
    If proven guilty beyond any doubt................bang! That also goes for child rapists, serial killers and terrorists.
    Except what they are doing is not the death penalty for being a drug pusher, but vigilante actions, probably often by the state.

  5. Top | #45
    Elder Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,403
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,109
    Rep Power
    61
    Dutarte has an enviable 80% approval rating in the Philippines. Is expected to win the next election by a landslide.

  6. Top | #46
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,769
    Rep Power
    15
    From reporting people like the r4eduction in drugs and crime regardless of his methods.

  7. Top | #47
    Elder Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,403
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,109
    Rep Power
    61
    In the short term it may seem a little like brutality. But in the long term, it will save perhaps thousands from overdoses and the misery of the drugs scourge in the Philippines.

  8. Top | #48
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    27,134
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    123,886
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    In the short term it may seem a little like brutality. But in the long term, it will save perhaps thousands from overdoses and the misery of the drugs scourge in the Philippines.
    Other countries have the death penalty for drug trafficking. What's totally unacceptable about what he's doing is the lack of trials.

    And note that the route that's worked the best is the exact opposite--legalization.

  9. Top | #49
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,769
    Rep Power
    15
    There has been some reporting that some people are happy with a reduction in drugs and violence regardless of how it is done.

    There was a third shooting in about 4 weeks in downtown Seattle. This time at a courthouse entrance.

  10. Top | #50
    Elder Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,403
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,109
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    In the short term it may seem a little like brutality. But in the long term, it will save perhaps thousands from overdoses and the misery of the drugs scourge in the Philippines.
    Other countries have the death penalty for drug trafficking. What's totally unacceptable about what he's doing is the lack of trials.

    And note that the route that's worked the best is the exact opposite--legalization.
    Legalising drugs like heroin, ice? I don't think so!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •