Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many white people at UVA Multicultural Student Center

1. Top | #101
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

There are none. There are zero. You are deliberately conflating a 'whites only' space that would arise as a specific policy to officially exclude non-whites, with spaces where white people, because of their majority in the population and their interests, occasionally occupy a time and space that is all white by circumstance but not because of exclusion.

Also, a rowing club is not an 'all white space', even when only white men are on a rowing team. A rowing team isn't even a 'space'.

But I know nothing grinds the gears of the Woke than athletic white men engaging in competition.

Because no university in North America has a whites only space.

Sure there are plenty of de facto white only spaces all over most university campuses. Not de jure. De facto. I mentioned several from a quick search of UVA social groups. I am certain that there are no rules forbidding certain fraternities or sororities or sports clubs from having members who are persons of color. Just as there is no rule forbidding white students from utilizing the multicultural center. In fact, white students seem to feel quite free to use that space whenever they wish.

I wonder how 'free' students of color feel to pledge certain greek houses or to participate in certain social groups?

Nah. There are idiots in Australia too.
    I am sure there are.

You just proved my point. But I wasn't even thinking about Australia's racist and repressive views on immigration and asylum. I was thinking about Australia's relationship with its indigenous people.

Too bad the indigenous Australian peoples don't get to enact their own immigration policies. Australian politics doesn't make the news as much in the US as US politics does, but I read enough and have known enough people from Australia to realize that Australia has a BIG racism problem.
    Oh, I know you are but what am I?
    Conceding my point.

There are no rules forbidding white students from being in the multicultural center not are there any rules limiting the numbers of white students who can utilize that space.

Just as there are no rules about students of color joining the row teams or joining social clubs or otherwise taking part in whatever activities are offered at UVA. Just a couple of hundred years of customs and mores.

I’m sure no white students would ever express any displeasure at ‘too many black people’ being in one place. Because that never happens.

Except that it does.

A student expressed her opinion about the potential of so many white students using the space that was designed specifically to allow students of color to gather in a space that is not overwhelmingly white that the purpose of the space: to provide a space where students from minorities can gather and for a brief amount of time, not be the minority, not be overwhelmed by the dominant group. .

Very few white students or white people at all are comfortable if they really zen they are the only white person in a crowd. Most avoid such a circumstance. But we expect it of persons of color all the time. So there is one space on the entire campus where students of color might go and not expect to be in the minority and that's enough for someone in Australia who is fond of reading non-credentialed personal blogs of far right winged idiots to lose his mind.
    Last edited by Toni; 02-25-2020 at 05:47 AM.

2. Top | #102
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sure there are plenty of de facto white only spaces all over most university campuses. Not de jure. De facto. I mentioned several from a quick search of UVA social groups. I am certain that there are no rules forbidding certain fraternities or sororities or sports clubs from having members who are persons of color. Just as there is no rule forbidding white students from utilizing the multicultural center.
    De facto white spaces are irrelevant, just as de facto black spaces are irrelevant. Telling white people to leave a certain space is the abhorrent action, and whether they can leave to a 'de facto' white space or not is irrelevant. Nobody should be asked to leave a space that they are entitled to be in, just because some person was such a narcissist that she thought her feelings and bigotry about white people needed airing.

Why bring up de facto white spaces? (some of which are not even that--are white people who aren't on the rowing team welcome to use rowing space?)

In fact, white students seem to feel quite free to use that space whenever they wish.
    Perhaps some of them no longer feel welcome. I certainly would feel less welcome if somebody told me to leave because my whiteness overwhelmed her. I'd feel a lot less welcome.

I wonder how 'free' students of color feel to pledge certain greek houses or to participate in certain social groups?
    At least as free as non-Latina girls are to pledge to "Latina interest" sororities or non-Asian girls are to pledge to "Asian-interest" sororities.

3. Top | #103
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Conceding my point.
    No. I was mocking your childish whataboutism with a childish retort.

There are no rules forbidding white students from being in the multicultural center not are there any rules limiting the numbers of white students who can utilize that space.
    That is as it should be. Yet one student felt emboldened enough to ignore that and place her own bigoted feelings about white people on display, and was applauded for doing so.

Just as there are no rules about students of color joining the row teams or joining social clubs or otherwise taking part in whatever activities are offered at UVA. Just a couple of hundred years of customs and mores.

I’m sure no white students would ever express any displeasure at ‘too many black people’ being in one place. Because that never happens..
    When it happens and the white student gets applauded for it, link the story.

Except that it does.

A student expressed her opinion about the potential of so many white students using the space that was designed specifically to allow students of color to gather in a space that is not overwhelmingly white
    That is not what it was designed for.

that the purpose of the space: to provide a space where students from minorities can gather and for a brief amount of time, not be the minority, not be overwhelmed by the dominant group. .
    Overwhelmed? You never answered me: what is the percentage of white people that induces overwhelming in these fragile students of colour?

If white people are expected to not reach critical mass in a space, surely we need to know what that critical mass is?

Very few white students or white people at all are comfortable if they really zen they are the only white person in a crowd. Most avoid such a circumstance. But we expect it of persons of color all the time. So there is one space on the entire campus where students of color might go and not expect to be in the minority and that's enough for someone in Australia who is fond of reading non-credentialed personal blogs of far right winged idiots to lose his mind.
    You have no right to expect to be the "dominant" skin colour in some space. You just have no right. I know that's hard for you to deal with, but that's reality.

4. Top | #104
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    [INDENT]

De facto white spaces are irrelevant, just as de facto black spaces are irrelevant. Telling white people to leave a certain space is the abhorrent action, and whether they can leave to a 'de facto' white space or not is irrelevant. Nobody should be asked to leave a space that they are entitled to be in, just because some person was such a narcissist that she thought her feelings and bigotry about white people needed airing.

Why bring up de facto white spaces? (some of which are not even that--are white people who aren't on the rowing team welcome to use rowing space?)
    Why post that ridiculous far right wing screed in the first place? There is no de jure nor any de facto NO WHITES space on the UVA campus as far as I can tell. Certainly the multi-cultural center is not a NO Whites Allowed space.

Perhaps some of them no longer feel welcome. I certainly would feel less welcome if somebody told me to leave because my whiteness overwhelmed her. I'd feel a lot less welcome.
    Imagine how you might feel if you were black and there was a white nationalist rally at your school? Because that happened at UVA just a few years ago.

5. Top | #105
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Why post that ridiculous far right wing screed in the first place?
    I posted a story. That's how forums work. People make new threads about events they think are worth discussing.

If you don't think it was worth discussing, you should stop discussing it.

There is no de jure nor any de facto NO WHITES space on the UVA campus as far as I can tell. Certainly the multi-cultural center is not a NO Whites Allowed space.
    Absolutely correct. That's what makes this narcissistic bigot's little 'speech' abhorrent and the culture that emboldened her to say it and applauded it so worrying.

She correctly concluded that asking white people to leave a space they were entitled to be in would not be met with pushback but would be praised instead.

Imagine how you might feel if you were black and there was a white nationalist rally at your school? Because that happened at UVA just a few years ago.
    Oh, so the white people in the multicultural space were the white nationalists at the rally? Because unless that's the case I can't for the life of me think what the point of your sentence was.

6. Top | #106
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Somehow I got reminded of this

Regarding anxiety about being overwhelmed. I say segregation may be a good thing.

7. Top | #107
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Unlike you I do not believe that white people are so fragile that they aren’t able to handle some random person telling them
    that they are unwelcome. You know: how white people are always telling persons of color or with funny names or funny religious beliefs that they aren’t welcome, much less passing laws to restrict such. You know about that, right? Happens all over the world. Including Australia.
    The key difference is that we all recognize it as wrong when it is done to non-white people.

8. Top | #108
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Unlike you I do not believe that white people are so fragile that they aren’t able to handle some random person telling them
    that they are unwelcome. You know: how white people are always telling persons of color or with funny names or funny religious beliefs that they aren’t welcome, much less passing laws to restrict such. You know about that, right? Happens all over the world. Including Australia.
    The key difference is that we all recognize it as wrong when it is done to non-white people.
    Do we, though?

Because POC are told all the time that they are not welcome—and far worse than just being ‘told.’

But it takes a far right wing BLOG to get Metaphor and you all riled up about that.

9. Top | #109
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I posted a story. That's how forums work. People make new threads about events they think are worth discussing.

If you don't think it was worth discussing, you should stop discussing it.

Absolutely correct. That's what makes this narcissistic bigot's little 'speech' abhorrent and the culture that emboldened her to say it and applauded it so worrying.

She correctly concluded that asking white people to leave a space they were entitled to be in would not be met with pushback but would be praised instead.

Oh, so the white people in the multicultural space were the white nationalists at the rally? Because unless that's the case I can't for the life of me think what the point of your sentence was.
    It’s so good to see that your mind reading powers are intact.

Same as they ever were.

10. Top | #110
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not even getting into 'too many POC' living in this neighborhood/attending this school 'causing' white flight.'
    People of color don't cause white flight. White flight is caused by inferior students--it's a recognition that schools reflect the students far more than cause the students. It's just most of them are non-white, but you would see the same thing if you had a bunch of immigrants from someplace like Russia.