Thread: Too many white people at UVA Multicultural Student Center

1. Top | #111
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Unlike you I do not believe that white people are so fragile that they aren’t able to handle some random person telling them
    that they are unwelcome. You know: how white people are always telling persons of color or with funny names or funny religious beliefs that they aren’t welcome, much less passing laws to restrict such. You know about that, right? Happens all over the world. Including Australia.
    The key difference is that we all recognize it as wrong when it is done to non-white people.
    Do we, though?
    Yes, we do. You wont find anyone posting in this thread who doesn't. Do people exist who are outright white separatists? Yes. And they are near universally condembed by society and shamed. Metaphor has a point when he says that this woman being cheered for such an attitude against white people is a problem.

And your own posting leaves us wondering if you condemn such behaviour against white people. It is clear to everyone that Metaphor condemns it against non-white people.

And I also agree with my fellow brown person who posted above and said POC is a very stupid term. It is. And though intended to rebuff racism, it only creates more. We're not People "of Colour". We are people.

But it takes a far right wing BLOG to get Metaphor and you all riled up about that.
    I'm not all riled up. You appear to be. I was ignoring this thread altogether until now.

2. Top | #112
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Not even getting into 'too many POC' living in this neighborhood/attending this school 'causing' white flight.'
    People of color don't cause white flight. White flight is caused by inferior students--it's a recognition that schools reflect the students far more than cause the students. It's just most of them are non-white, but you would see the same thing if you had a bunch of immigrants from someplace like Russia.
    Wrong, it's pretty much any large number of black (and Native in some areas) students. And when the nonwhite students do well, they're immediately accused of cheating, often without evidence. We know that the classrooms, as well as the neighborhoods, very much "cause" the students.

And you skipped right over the issue of "white flight" from neighborhoods, under the now outdated notion that "too many" black people will automatically cause home values to fall.

3. Top | #113
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is in the lobby of my apartment building, notice about block busting.

Lots of money was made by block busting, even gentiles got into the act.

4. Top | #114
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

Because her actions were not the one-off whims of a bad actor. Nobody gets emboldened to ask people of a certain ethnicity to leave a space unless they are pretty sure they're in a culture that would support such a speech.
    What make you think that? I hear stupid people say stupid shit about ethnicity in places where no one agrees with them quite often. In this case she does seem to have received that support, but it certainly is not a rule that nobody does it.

Clearly, she was.
    That "culture" was a University multicultural center, which I am sure bears no resemblance to the wider culture beyond the University campus, so yeah it was probably a pretty safe space for her to say what she said. That does not mean that she would be received as well making that speech at another place on campus, and certainly not anywhere outside of a University campus.

Have you read mainstream papers? It is fully acceptable to generalise the badness of white men (occasionally it's all men, but if an ethnicity is called out, it's white).
    Assume I haven't and provide a mainstream example, please.

On campuses in North America her voice is mainstream enough that she was emboldened to speak as she did with no fear of negative pushback. Her actions are an illustration of the wider culture.
    University campuses (regardless of where they are located) are full of youngsters trying to find their place in society, and giving voice to radical ideas. This has been the case for over 50 years, and is not indicative of any "wider culture".

And what was the result of that call? A few people clapped, anything else? This is what you are outraged about? Outraged enough that you will amplify her voice and give her a larger audience?
    Yes, it's outrageous. Yes, what she said needs to be more largely known.
    Yes, college kids say stupid things, most people are aware of that. Was there any other point that you felt should be more largely known?

And there are people who are the exact opposite of her, who think every place they go should be 'whites only'. Those people were responsible for some pretty horrendous shit in the not so distant past, that was accepted by mainstream society. We are still dealing with the fallout from that time, and her attitude, wrong as it may be, is just on example of that.
    If any person stood up in a shared space at a North American university and said "too many black people in here", that person would have received severe pushback and sanction.
    I'm not so sure about that. That attitude would probably be embraced at ORU, or any number of more conservative college campuses.

Her actions were narcissistic and bigoted. And the response to them--from 'who cares' to 'she's right'--illustrate my point.
    Not if your point is that her speech is indicative of some wider culture beyond that of liberal university MSC buildings.

5. Top | #115
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Not even getting into 'too many POC' living in this neighborhood/attending this school 'causing' white flight.'
    People of color don't cause white flight. White flight is caused by inferior students--it's a recognition that schools reflect the students far more than cause the students. It's just most of them are non-white, but you would see the same thing if you had a bunch of immigrants from someplace like Russia.
    And just who do you think those 'inferior students' are?

Loren, people abandon neighborhoods as soon as the first family who is the 'wrong' color/religion/ethnicity moves in. Even if there are no children.

6. Top | #116
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Do we, though?
    It is clear to everyone that Metaphor condemns it against non-white people.
    Not to me, it isn't. He's pretty ok with all white sororities and fraternities and clubs and sports.

7. Top | #117
    Archived
    Total Posts

No. I was mocking your childish whataboutism with a childish retort.

That is as it should be. Yet one student felt emboldened enough to ignore that and place her own bigoted feelings about white people on display, and was applauded for doing so.

Just as there are no rules about students of color joining the row teams or joining social clubs or otherwise taking part in whatever activities are offered at UVA. Just a couple of hundred years of customs and mores.

I’m sure no white students would ever express any displeasure at ‘too many black people’ being in one place. Because that never happens..
    When it happens and the white student gets applauded for it, link the story.
    I'm gonna go ahead and leave this here:
    School: Dolls of black figures on tree-like racks removed

8. Top | #118
    And I also agree with my fellow brown person who posted above and said POC is a very stupid term. It is. And though intended to rebuff racism, it only creates more.
    How does it create more? It describes an existing minority/majority dynamic with regard to race in a shorthand for the various demographics experiencing the minority side of the equation--it didn't create that dynamic. So what racism did it create? Or in what manner did it create more of the same?

We're not People "of Colour". We are people.
    These aren't mutually exclusive. I have never once met a person who uses the identifier 'POC' to suggest they lack commonality and belongingness with people in general, or that they were somehow absolutely different from me.

9. Top | #119
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    And I also agree with my fellow brown person who posted above and said POC is a very stupid term. It is. And though intended to rebuff racism, it only creates more.
    How does it create more? It describes an existing minority/majority dynamic with regard to race in a shorthand for the various demographics experiencing the minority side of the equation--it didn't create that dynamic. So what racism did it create? Or in what manner did it create more of the same?

We're not People "of Colour". We are people.
    These aren't mutually exclusive. I have never once met a person who uses the identifier 'POC' to suggest they lack commonality and belongingness with people in general, or that they were somehow absolutely different from me.
    Defining people as "black" or "asian" as if that sums up who they are and as if they are interchangeable is bad enough. "People of Colour" takes it even further. And the smarmy politically correct nature of that term, while "coloured people" is considered derogatory, is just stupid. If you want to talk about people who aren't white? Why not just say non-white? Why reach for the weird contortions of language? Besides, its the white people who turn blue when cold, red when hot or angry, etc. My skin is far more consistent in shade. Its always yellowy brown. And it shouldn't matter.

10. Top | #120
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post

Defining people as "black" or "asian" as if that sums up who they are and as if they are interchangeable is bad enough. "People of Colour" takes it even further. And the smarmy politically correct nature of that term, while "coloured people" is considered derogatory, is just stupid. If you want to talk about people who aren't white? Why not just say non-white? Why reach for the weird contortions of language? Besides, its the white people who turn blue when cold, red when hot or angry, etc. My skin is far more consistent in shade. Its always yellowy brown. And it shouldn't matter.
    If I am in a situation where I need to refer to ethnicity for the sake of clarity, I am going to try to use the term for that ethnicity that causes the least offense to those who might be listening. This will mean that the term I use may change depending on my target audience. I do this because I do not want what I am trying to say to get lost because I was careless when describing someone's ethnicity and caused them to respond to the perceived offense. There is a generational gap in what some people will find to be offensive, and while it might suck to try to navigate the differences, I would rather do that than go around offending people for no good reason. But, as your post makes clear, some people will be offended that I am trying to not be offensive no matter what I say, so those people can just fuck right off.