Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 342

Thread: Too many white people at UVA Multicultural Student Center

  1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,945
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,195
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    'Too many white people' does not equate to the idea there should be no white people.
    So if a white person said, "there's too many black people here," you would agree that this does not equate to the idea that there should be no black people?

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,220
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    26,961
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Imagine if this was a white person who went up there and said, "This is a space for white people and quite frankly, there's just too many people of color here." Student probably would've been expelled from the school and the university would have to dole out a huge apology about how "we treat all students equally and cherish everyone."

    But since a black girl said it, her racism gets a pass. And yet people on this forum still insist that white people are not oppressed she got death threats and had to delete her twitter account.
    probably

  3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,024
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    57,967
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Imagine if this was a white person who went up there and said, "This is a space for white people and quite frankly, there's just too many people of color here." Student probably would've been expelled from the school and the university would have to dole out a huge apology about how "we treat all students equally and cherish everyone."
    You really have no clue what universities are like, especially UVA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But since a black girl said it, her racism gets a pass. And yet people on this forum still insist that white people are not oppressed.
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means. An ignorant thought experiment is not evidence of oppression.

  4. Top | #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    n/a
    Posts
    656
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    'Too many white people' does not equate to the idea there should be no white people.
    "Too many black people" does not equate to the idea there should be no black people.
    And?

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post
    This new multicultural center is a replacement for their old one. An article states the mission behind the formation of the old center was 'to create a space to support underrepresented groups while cultivating an inclusive and diverse University community'.
    Excluding people based on their race isn't inclusive and it reduces diversity.
    It doesn't reduce diversity at the university. Nearly anywhere else on campus the dynamic where white Americans are present and are the majority can be experienced. This space had, as part of its mission, an aim to serve underrepresented groups rather than the the predominant group. Diversity and inclusion isn't simply about trying to have all people present in all places at all times. It's about ensuring groups whose needs or voices may be less represented ordinarily have access to resources and space so that the overall university experience is more inclusive of the diverse population.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,945
    Archived
    1,250
    Total Posts
    4,195
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Imagine if this was a white person who went up there and said, "This is a space for white people and quite frankly, there's just too many people of color here." Student probably would've been expelled from the school and the university would have to dole out a huge apology about how "we treat all students equally and cherish everyone."
    You really have no clue what universities are like, especially UVA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But since a black girl said it, her racism gets a pass. And yet people on this forum still insist that white people are not oppressed.
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means. An ignorant thought experiment is not evidence of oppression.
    You must've missed this new thing we have called intersectionaity.

    For example, a straight white male is all the way at the bottom of this hierarchy, whereas a black trans lesbian Muslim woman would be at the top of the hierarchy. A gay white man and a gay black man are both represented by being gay, but the black man is higher in the hierarchy because he's also black.

  6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,024
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    57,967
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You really have no clue what universities are like, especially UVA.
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means. An ignorant thought experiment is not evidence of oppression.
    You must've missed this new thing we have called intersectionaity.

    For example, a straight white male is all the way at the bottom of this hierarchy, whereas a black trans lesbian Muslim woman would be at the top of the hierarchy. A gay white man and a gay black man are both represented by being gay, but the black man is higher in the hierarchy because he's also black.
    It is a mistake to think that injecting irrelevancies furthers your argument. The point is that your ignorant thought experiments are not evidence of oppression.

  7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    17,858
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    42,358
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    But since a black girl said it, her racism gets a pass. And yet people on this forum still insist that white people are not oppressed.
    You were the one who said ALL the US presidents have been white, and for a reason.

    That's a strange form of oppression, innit?

  8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,696
    Archived
    15,686
    Total Posts
    32,382
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means.
    Neither does she. Or you, for that matter.

  9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,696
    Archived
    15,686
    Total Posts
    32,382
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    You were the one who said ALL the US presidents have been white
    Well, Obama is only like half white.

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,220
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    26,961
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means.
    Neither does she. Or you, for that matter.
    Hahaha, you are supporting Half-Life's arguments again! You fell right into it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •