Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many white people at UVA Multicultural Student Center

1. Top | #31
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Hahaha, you are supporting Half-Life's arguments again! You fell right into it.
    Even if he is a strawman sockpuppet troll, when he says that this girl is a racist and is getting away with it because of her skin color he is absolutely right.
    Even a strawman has a point sometimes.

2. Top | #32
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krypton iodine sulfur View Post

And?
    What was the point of you saying "too many white people" does not equal "no white people"??

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

It doesn't reduce diversity at the university.
    It reduces it at the Multicultural Student Center, and it excludes people from it.

It's about ensuring groups whose needs or voices may be less represented ordinarily have access to resources and space so that the overall university experience is more inclusive of the diverse population.
    Certainly this person's voice got "represented".

I know the feelings of white people do not matter, but imagine for a moment that you were white and you were in that space when this person claimed dominion over it, told people too many white people made her uncomfortable and that they did not belong, and then got applauded for it.

3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    It came across as a prank actually. It is a really competitive thing to get your stuff to "go viral" and I guess she has somewhat succeeded. It's just another non controversial, click bait news story that trots out some silly shit seen on Tw@tter followed by quotes from the people that respond. Social media is a cesspit.
    I did not even look at the video and so I did not pick up on social cues etc that could have led me in that direction. BUT now that you mention it, isn't it weird that she had her friend video the whole thing? So there is certainly some evidence of this hypothesis...
    Who says it was a 'friend' that filmed it?

But let's say it's a stunt. If I were pulling a stunt like this, it would be to prove that naked race-based contempt of white people can be and is applauded at universities. If she wanted to prove how 'multiculturalism' is not even code for 'too many white people' but the prime definition in 'progressive' spaces, she did it.

4. Top | #34
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    'Too many white people' does not equate to the idea there should be no white people.
    So if a white person said, "there's too many black people here," you would agree that this does not equate to the idea that there should be no black people?
    Well, if YOU said it, and since you have stated a desire to form and live in a white ethnostate, why would i NOT think you meant that?
    Any logical argument will do.
    Take your time.

5. Top | #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

What was the point of you saying "too many white people" does not equal "no white people"??
    There is no inherent statement that white people categorically shouldn't be in the space let alone a sentiment that this somehow means white people don't have culture.

It reduces it at the Multicultural Student Center, and it excludes people from it.
    It was created to support underrepresented groups. What is so hard to understand about that? It promotes a culture of diversity and inclusion at the university.

People aren't excluded, but they should bear in mind the purpose of the space. The family/ disabilities bathrooms don't exclude people from their use, and yet generally people who don't have specific need of those facilities should remember who those spaces are for and generally leave them free when other facilities are available to them.

I know the feelings of white people do not matter, but imagine for a moment that you were white and you were in that space when this person claimed dominion over it, told people too many white people made her uncomfortable and that they did not belong, and then got applauded for it.
    I am white. She didn't 'claim dominion over it'; it exists to serve the needs of underrepresented groups, which is not me, at least not in this regard. There may be some occasions where I might visit this space if I needed specific services provided or if an event was being held which was relevant to me, but otherwise, why would I go there? It's a small space on the campus and many others would just as easily suit my needs.

Would it make me uncomfortable if I were there? The answer is likely not really. At worst I may have felt mildly embarrassed or mildly irritated, but I've experienced much worse. I've lived most of my life being readily accepted into the predominate racial/ ethnic group. I don't feel deeply troubled by the fact that a small space in a university established largely to support those not in the majority might want me to consider using other spaces. I would not feel it was a challenge to my representation inclusion in that university community. I understand what it is to want a space where you aren't the minority when nearly everywhere else you are.

6. Top | #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post
    'Too many white people' does not equate to the idea there should be no white people.
    So if a white person said, "there's too many black people here," you would agree that this does not equate to the idea that there should be no black people?
    It literally does not equate to the idea that there should be no black people.

7. Top | #37
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    It is pretty clear you have no clue what being oppressed means.
    Neither does she. Or you, for that matter.
    Your baseless opinion is duly noted.

8. Top | #38
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What will happen has already been laid out by the prophetic William Luther Pierce in his fantastic seminal work "The Turner Diaries".

All other groups will be allowed to have separate meetings and set asides etc..., but whites will not.

9. Top | #39
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is no inherent statement that white people categorically shouldn't be in the space let alone a sentiment that this somehow means white people don't have culture.
    Whether her threshold of comfort is 'fewer' white people or no white people is not the point. Her naked race-based contempt is the point.

It was created to support underrepresented groups. What is so hard to understand about that? It promotes a culture of diversity and inclusion at the university.
    The space was created to do that. This woman's words and actions don't.

People aren't excluded, but they should bear in mind the purpose of the space.
    The purpose of the space is to be inclusive. That's why if I go to the space, I would want to feel included.

I am white. She didn't 'claim dominion over it';
    She spoke as if hers was the only opinion that mattered. Did she consult with the other people in the room about whether they too felt there were too many white people?

but otherwise, why would I go there?
    Why the fuck wouldn't you go there? Why ought you be unwelcome based on your ethnicity? Wouldn't you be paying fees just like everyone else at the university?

Would it make me uncomfortable if I were there? The answer is likely not really. At worst I may have felt mildly embarrassed or mildly irritated, but I've experienced much worse. I've lived most of my life being readily accepted into the predominate racial/ ethnic group. I don't feel deeply troubled by the fact that a small space in a university established largely to support those not in the majority might want me to consider using other spaces.
    That's great for you. You can remove yourself.

I would not feel it was a challenge to my representation inclusion in that university community. I understand what it is to want a space where you aren't the minority when nearly everywhere else you are.
    Understanding her desire to not be around white people is not an excuse for her to want to scold white people out of a space that is intended for all people.

10. Top | #40
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I would hope so. People who think whites don't have a culture are dense.

Classical music
    Western Civilization
    Countless inventions
    Skyscrapers
    Medicine
    Science
    Movies
    TV
    Charity
    Endless work in Africa trying desperately to improve their situation (Ethiopia was never colonized so it should logically be a thriving rich country since it was untouched by the evil white man)
    Philosophy
    Authors

The self-hating whites just say dumb stuff like, "White culture is Mountain Dew!!!"
    Sounds about as dumb as saying,"Asian culture is rice!!!"