Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 342

Thread: Too many white people at UVA Multicultural Student Center

  1. Top | #81
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,023
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    57,966
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Video of this event has been making the rounds on Twitter

    https://www.theamericanmirror.com/bl...ople-of-color/

    A new Multicultural Student Center opened at the University of Virginia last week, and it’s already breeding intolerance and racism on campus.

    “Leftists at the University of Virginia are dictating who is and who isn’t allowed in the new Multicultural Student Center,” Young America’s Foundation posted along with a video to Twitter on Wednesday. “’Frankly there is just too many white people in here, and this is a space for people of color.’ This kind of racist intolerance is NOT multicultural.”

    The video shows a black female student offering a condescending public service announcement to folks at the Multicultural Student Center. It includes the Twitter handle @WafaFlofa_Flame transposed over the woman.

    “EEEEEEE …. Public service announcement. EEEEEE … Public service announcement,” she said, hands clasped. “Excuse me. If ya’ll didn’t know, this is the MSC and frankly there is just too many white people in here and this is a space for people of color.

    “So let’s be really cognizant of the space that you’re taking up, because it does make some of us POCs uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here,” she lectured.

    “It’s only been open for four days, and frankly there is the whole university for a lot of ya’ll to be at and there is very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind. Thank you,” the student said.

    The comments drew applause and a holler of support from an accomplice recording the video.
    A number of students were asked about the incident afterwards and there seems to be general agreement: white people make POC uncomfortable

    https://www.yaf.org/news/uva-has-a-r...-white-people/

    I address the following to all white people on the board.

    When did you first realise that you did not have a culture and that culture is something only non-white people have?

    When you take up space in a multicultural centre pretending you have a culture, why do you think it's okay for PoC to have to enact the labour of calling out your problematic existing-while-white behaviour?
    Meh. Why should I care?

    Why does the person who wrote the linked article care?

    Of course the person who was chastising everyone in the video was wrong, so what?

    She also seems to have gotten a few other impressionable young people to agree with her, as least for a few moments, but why should I care? Most of them will grow out of it, I am sure a good number of them were just agreeing with her to be agreeable, and have already gotten over it.

    I think what the woman ultimately failed to realize is that the new MSC is a brand new building on campus, so it is naturally going to draw students there just to check out the new digs. Give it a semester and it will likely be just like the old MSC as far as who frequents the building. But, once again, why should I care?
    Because it is the slippery slope to the end of civilization as we know it.

  2. Top | #82
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,954
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,928
    Rep Power
    51
    Meh. Why should I care?

    Why does the person who wrote the linked article care?

    Of course the person who was chastising everyone in the video was wrong, so what?

    She also seems to have gotten a few other impressionable young people to agree with her, as least for a few moments, but why should I care? Most of them will grow out of it, I am sure a good number of them were just agreeing with her to be agreeable, and have already gotten over it.

    I think what the woman ultimately failed to realize is that the new MSC is a brand new building on campus, so it is naturally going to draw students there just to check out the new digs. Give it a semester and it will likely be just like the old MSC as far as who frequents the building. But, once again, why should I care?
    Because telling people that they are unwelcome because of their skin colour is supposed to be a bad thing? Because this person made an absolutely brazen and racist call for white people to remove themselves because they made her feel uncomfortable? Because people like her--and Toni--peddle the outrageous false equivalency that there are 'effectively' 'whites only' parts of campus (which there are not), and if there actually were 'whites only' parts of campus, the Woke would lose their minds.

  3. Top | #83
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,023
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    57,966
    Rep Power
    77
    The woman spoke stupidly as an individual. A few people clapped. This is an insignificant incident that produces hyperbolic reactions as shown by the OP.

    Anyone familiar with predominantly white universities in the USA, there are effectively white only rooms by student choice, not official sanction. Those areas may change over time. In my experience, no one has lost their mind about this.

  4. Top | #84
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,954
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,928
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    The woman spoke stupidly as an individual. A few people clapped. This is an insignificant incident that produces hyperbolic reactions as shown by the OP.
    To people who don't care, even posting on an internet board is characterised as 'hyperbole'. Oy gevalt.

    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Anyone familiar with predominantly white universities in the USA, there are effectively white only rooms by student choice, not official sanction. Those areas may change over time. In my experience, no one has lost their mind about this.
    There are no "white only" rooms on any campus in North America, in the meaningful sense that such a room is officially sanctioned as white only. And if somebody told people of colour they made her feel unsafe in a certain space and they should consider her feelings and remove themselves, that individual would be hounded out, officially and unofficially. It is difficult to believe anybody would defend her and call her actions 'mild' or even 'correct'.

  5. Top | #85
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    17,399
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    20,433
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    the Woke would lose their minds.
    Irony. Big fan.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  6. Top | #86
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,495
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,150
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are plenty of spaces on UVA campuses that are effectively white only.
    Bullshit. And I say this as a "person of color" (what a stupid term) that attended that University. Once for undergrad, and again for grad school.

    And even if you can find some instance of a room that happens to only be occupied by white people at some moment in time is not at all similar to a "whites-only" or "minority-only" room. Not at all. And attempts to equivocate between the two are lame as hell.
    OK. But I looked at photos from the Chapter houses on Frat Row and the team roster photos for row teams ---and found more than enough evidence without bothering to check out every single frat or sorority to state that there are definitely de facto white only spaces on the UVA campus.

    I'm sure that persons of color who expressed a strong interest in joining would find a spot on the rosters.

    Just as there is no rule against white students or 'too many' white students entering and using the Multicultural center.

  7. Top | #87
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3,954
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    14,928
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

    OK. But I looked at photos from the Chapter houses on Frat Row and the team roster photos for row teams ---and found more than enough evidence without bothering to check out every single frat or sorority to state that there are definitely de facto white only spaces on the UVA campus.

    I'm sure that persons of color who expressed a strong interest in joining would find a spot on the rosters.

    Just as there is no rule against white students or 'too many' white students entering and using the Multicultural center.
    Of course there's no official rule like that--that would be abhorrent and unacceptable even in the hard Woke American campus environment. Yet the climate on campus is such that asking white people to remove themselves from a shared space is seen as a laudable thing to do.

  8. Top | #88
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,023
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    57,966
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

    To people who don't care, even posting on an internet board is characterised as 'hyperbole'. Oy gevalt.
    I never said I did not care, but thanks
    for the dramatic straw man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor
    There are no "white only" rooms on any campus in North America, in the meaningful sense that such a room is officially sanctioned as white only.
    Another straw man. Is it possible for to address the actual poonts?

  9. Top | #89
    Veteran Member KeepTalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East
    Posts
    3,497
    Archived
    3,057
    Total Posts
    6,554
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Meh. Why should I care?

    Why does the person who wrote the linked article care?

    Of course the person who was chastising everyone in the video was wrong, so what?

    She also seems to have gotten a few other impressionable young people to agree with her, as least for a few moments, but why should I care? Most of them will grow out of it, I am sure a good number of them were just agreeing with her to be agreeable, and have already gotten over it.

    I think what the woman ultimately failed to realize is that the new MSC is a brand new building on campus, so it is naturally going to draw students there just to check out the new digs. Give it a semester and it will likely be just like the old MSC as far as who frequents the building. But, once again, why should I care?
    Because telling people that they are unwelcome because of their skin colour is supposed to be a bad thing?
    And she was wrong to do so, but how does this affect me, or anyone who was not in her immediate vicinity at the time? People are allowed to be wrong, and say wrong things in public, and other people are allowed to agree or disagree with them. The person in question is a nobody, and the things she said will affect no one in this forum. There is no reason her voice should have been amplified beyond the immediate audience around her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Because this person made an absolutely brazen and racist call for white people to remove themselves because they made her feel uncomfortable?
    And what was the result of that call? A few people clapped, anything else? This is what you are outraged about? Outraged enough that you will amplify her voice and give her a larger audience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Because people like her--and Toni--peddle the outrageous false equivalency that there are 'effectively' 'whites only' parts of campus (which there are not), and if there actually were 'whites only' parts of campus, the Woke would lose their minds.
    And there are people who are the exact opposite of her, who think every place they go should be 'whites only'. Those people were responsible for some pretty horrendous shit in the not so distant past, that was accepted by mainstream society. We are still dealing with the fallout from that time, and her attitude, wrong as it may be, is just on example of that.

  10. Top | #90
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,495
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,150
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

    OK. But I looked at photos from the Chapter houses on Frat Row and the team roster photos for row teams ---and found more than enough evidence without bothering to check out every single frat or sorority to state that there are definitely de facto white only spaces on the UVA campus.

    I'm sure that persons of color who expressed a strong interest in joining would find a spot on the rosters.

    Just as there is no rule against white students or 'too many' white students entering and using the Multicultural center.
    Of course there's no official rule like that--that would be abhorrent and unacceptable even in the hard Woke American campus environment. Yet the climate on campus is such that asking white people to remove themselves from a shared space is seen as a laudable thing to do.
    Sure. But there are plenty of whites only spaces on the UVA campus. They’re just not called that. They are de facto whites only. I’m *sure* no one ever did anything to discourage students of color from pledging certain fraternities or sororities or joining certain teams or going wherever they want to go.

    Unlike you I do not believe that white people are so fragile that they aren’t able to handle some random person telling them
    that they are unwelcome. You know: how white people are always telling persons of color or with funny names or funny religious beliefs that they aren’t welcome, much less passing laws to restrict such. You know about that, right? Happens all over the world. Including Australia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •